Muslims face negative perception in Canada, study suggests

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

A new national survey that tapped the level of "positiveness" that Canadians feel toward selected groups suggests that Muslims — significantly more than 10 other subsets of society — remain a magnet for negativity a decade after the 9/11 attacks on the U.S.

Just 43 per cent of the 2,345 people polled by the Montreal-based Association for Canadian Studies expressed "very positive" or "somewhat positive" perceptions of Muslims, while atheists (60 per cent) and aboriginals (61 per cent) also drew relatively lukewarm responses.

Meanwhile, seven other groups generated positive perceptions from respondents. Chinese people, who narrowly topped the results at 75 per cent, were followed by Protestants, Blacks and Hispanics/Latin Americans (all 74 per cent), Catholics (73), Jews (72) and francophones (70).

The category “immigrants” prompted positive responses from 68 per cent of those surveyed.

The results were drawn from an online poll covering a range of issues and conducted by the firm Leger Marketing between Sept. 20 and Oct. 3. The survey is considered to have a margin of error of two per cent, 19 times out of 20.

ACS executive director Jack Jedwab said the markedly more negative response to Muslims is matched by similar polling results in Britain and the U.S., making clear that the challenge of improving perceptions of the vast majority of Muslims who reject Islamist extremism is a multinational task.

“Most of these perceptions are built around images that people see globally,” said Jedwab.

The similar findings in other Western nations “suggests this isn’t a Canadian-specific issue . . . I’m not saying we shouldn’t have programs” and policies in Canada to improve general perceptions of Muslims, “but the impact of those programs is limited if we don’t have global cooperation.”

The results of the new poll echo the findings of a previous ACS survey just ahead of last month’s 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which showed that a majority of Canadians believes conflict between Western nations and the Muslim world is “irreconcilable.”

That survey of 1,500 Canadians in early September showed that 56 per cent of respondents see Western and Muslim societies locked in an unending ideological struggle, while about 33 per cent — just one-third of the population — held out hope that the conflict will eventually be overcome.

Together, says Jedwab, such surveys highlighting the widespread unease towards Muslims are forcing a rethink of the prime challenge facing Canada and other Western societies in terms of ethnocultural relations. A decade ago, he said, the prevailing view was that promoting social harmony in these countries would depend on overcoming language conflicts or easing general tensions between “whites and all visible minorities.”

Instead, “what’s emerging now is a focus on Muslims vs. non-Muslims,” he said. “The outlet for people’s prejudice has been displaced by the focus on Muslims.”

In fact, the latest ACS poll showed that while 58 per cent of respondents mustered positive views about “relations between visible minorities and whites,” barely half as many — 30 per cent — were positive about “relations between Muslims and non-Muslims.”

Canadians’ negativity towards Muslims is reflected across the country in the new poll, but most strongly in Quebec. Debates in that province about what constitutes “reasonable accommodation” of minorities — sparked partly by concerns about Muslim head scarves — have been more pointed than elsewhere in Canada.

Only 35 per cent of respondents from Quebec expressed “very positive” or “somewhat positive” perceptions toward Muslims. The results were higher in other parts of the country: Atlantic Canada (48 per cent), Alberta (48), B.C. (46), Ontario (45) and Manitoba/Saskatchewan (39).

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For the same reasons that Natives and the other subsets are. Optics, myths, stereotypes and lies. But more importantly, truth.

And there is a difference between the former and the latter.

Don't think I haven't noticed all the support I get when certain members are posting all manner of racist slander about the First Nations.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No...really? Muslims face a negative perception in Canada? Say it isn't so. I find it hard to believe with supporters like Colpy, CB, RCS, Durry, et al.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
For the same reasons that Natives and the other subsets are. Optics, myths, stereotypes and lies. But more importantly, truth.

And there is a difference between the former and the latter.

Don't think I haven't noticed all the support I get when certain members are posting all manner of racist slander about the First Nations.

There is a lot of fear and ignorance out there and when you combine those 2 things under the 'right' circumstances, you get irrational behaviour as a result.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There is a lot of fear and ignorance out there and when you combine those 2 things under the 'right' circumstances, you get irrational behaviour as a result.

I look at the comparision in the US from 1941 - Internments etc to 2001 - The society clearly changed for the better.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No doubt.. What came immediately to mind for me was Senator McCarthy and his witch hunts. That episode and the mentality that went along with it still defies logic today.
Have you ever noticed how those that chide those that are merely honest about Islam, employ the very same ideology/tactics as McCarthyism?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well at least we know how good our media propaganda is doing.
Obviously better than wherever you get your intel from.

Only a moron would compare the reaction by the gov't to protests in NYC to those in Libya.

Clearly you have someone read to you.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No...really? Muslims face a negative perception in Canada? Say it isn't so. I find it hard to believe with supporters like Colpy, CB, RCS, Durry, et al.

I do what I can Gerry, but I'm always upstaged by hijackings, mercy killings and suicide bombings.