Some Albertans Want To Pay Provincial Sales Tax

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Cost+snubbing+provincial+sales+adding+business+leaders/5468469/story.html

Alberta being a province that prides itself on not paying any provincial sales tax might get a rude awakening when they find out that the ride is over.

A group of Calgary businessmen want a penny tax for new libraries and sports projects.

They want to put it on the GST for municipal use, which in reality is a form of provincial tax.

In the old days any suggestion of this type would guarantee a person an express bus ride out of the province.

Things are changing now Alberta prides itself in the fact that there are no rats I guess that will change too.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

There are probably some Albertans that want to have a daily prostate exam.

In the old days any suggestion of this type would guarantee a person an express bus ride out of the province.

Things haven't changed except for the possibility that we'd disguise the bus as a mobile prostate clinic.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Calgary bussinessmen? That citys tax stupid anyways,hope they boycott any bussiness that supports a tax and im sure they will.

This penny tax has everything to do with Calgary's mayor attempting to maintain his campaign promises. Buddy ran his campaign based on ridiculous promises and never considered that the money would have to be found to achieve the goal.

Now, as expected, he needs to raise taxes or confirm (again) that he is a liar.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Only someone from Ontario could possibly think adding a new tax is a good thing. in reality what should be happening is that oil producing provinces should be getting a large cut of all profits made by speculators in oil and gas futures. Then there would be lots of money around for social programs without any negative effect on the economy.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Only someone from Ontario could possibly think adding a new tax is a good thing. in reality what should be happening is that oil producing provinces should be getting a large cut of all profits made by speculators in oil and gas futures. Then there would be lots of money around for social programs without any negative effect on the economy.

Most anyone with an rrsp has investments in the oilsands.
Speculators are the ones that put up money for new wells that may be dusters,very risky and they are the reason the juinors survive long enough to get bought out and maybe make a small return.

Alberta needs a newfy head tax,a buck a year per newfy and also a ten cent tax on all jigs dinners.
We would be rolling in the cash then!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Only someone with the name Liberal in his nick or who has an obsession with Pierre Elliot Trudeau. :)

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I was a kid when PET came to town and they put on a huge bbq for him,a couple years later he gave us the finger and I have hated liberals ever since.

Was that after or before the "Let the east freeze in the dark"

Was the finger for the protesters?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Cost+snubbing+provincial+sales+adding+business+leaders/5468469/story.html

Alberta being a province that prides itself on not paying any provincial sales tax might get a rude awakening when they find out that the ride is over.

A group of Calgary businessmen want a penny tax for new libraries and sports projects.

They want to put it on the GST for municipal use, which in reality is a form of provincial tax.

Things are changing now Alberta prides itself in the fact that there are no rats I guess that will change too.

Not a big surprise that it's a group of businessmen wanting added taxes. I'm sure the regular folks wouldn't want this at all.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm of 2 minds on the issue related to that date... One side of me says that it is environmentally irresponsible to bury that much bull sh*t in one place; but the other side of me says that it was a good move to sequester that much CO2 (ie hot air).

I'm really on the fence on this one.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm of 2 minds on the issue related to that date... One side of me says that it is environmentally irresponsible to bury that much bull sh*t in one place; but the other side of me says that it was a good move to sequester that much CO2 (ie hot air).

I'm really on the fence on this one.

I'm of ONE mind on it.