US official: al-Awlaki dead in US attack in Yemen

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just in time too. Too many questions were being asked about this guy...and he might have answered them to the wrong people.

WASHINGTON - The same U.S. military counterterrorism unit that got Osama bin Laden used a drone and jet strike in Yemen on Friday to kill the U.S.-born cleric suspected of inspiring or helping plan numerous attacks on the United States, including the Christmas 2009 attempt to blow up a jetliner, U.S. and Yemeni officials said.

Anwar al-Awlaki was killed in a strike on his convoy directed by the CIA and carried out with the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command's firepower, according to a counterterrorist official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence.

The cleric known for fiery anti-American rhetoric and use of the Internet to spread his message was suspected of inspiring the mass shooting at Fort Hood Army base in Texas in 2009 and taking a more direct role in the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a Detroit-bound jetliner and the planning of other attacks on Americans.

He is the most prominent al-Qaida figure to be killed since bin Laden.

Word of his death from the U.S. comes after the government of Yemen reported that al-Awlaki was targeted and killed Friday about five miles from the town of Khashef, some 87 miles (140 kilometres) from the capital Sanaa.

U.S. counterterrorism officials said that counterterrorism co-operation between the U.S. and Yemen has improved in recent weeks, allowing the U.S. to gather better intelligence on al-Awlaki's movements. The ability to better track him was a key factor the successful strike, U.S. officials said. Officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

Al-Awlaki's death is the latest in a run of high-profile kills for Washington under President Barack Obama. But the killing raises questions that the death of other al-Qaida leaders, including bin Laden, did not.

Al-Awlaki is a U.S. citizen who had not been charged with any crime. Civil liberties groups have questioned the government's authority to kill an American without trial.

U.S. officials have said they believe al-Awlaki inspired the Fort Hood shooter, Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan, who is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the November 2009 attack at Fort Hood, Texas.

In New York, the Pakistani-American man who pleaded guilty to the May 2010 Times Square car bombing attempt said he was "inspired" by al-Awlaki after making contact over the Internet.

Al-Awlaki also is believed to have had a hand in mail bombs addressed to Chicago-area synagogues, packages intercepted in Dubai and Europe in October 2010.

Al-Awlaki's death "will especially impact the group's ability to recruit, inspire and raise funds as al-Awlaki's influence and ability to connect to a broad demographic of potential supporters was unprecedented," said terrorist analyst Ben Venzke of the private intelligence monitoring firm, the IntelCenter.

But Venzke said the terror group al-Qaida in the Arab Peninsula will remain the most dangerous regional arm "both in its region and for the direct threat it poses to the U.S. following three recent failed attacks," with leader Nasir al-Wahayshi still at large.
Venzke said al-Awlaki was due to release a new article in the next issue of the terror group's magazine, justifying attacking civilians in the West.

"The article, which may already have been completed, was announced by the al-Qaida group on Tuesday as being entitled, 'Targeting Populations of Countries at War with Muslims,'" he said.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2011

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Was he good al Qaeda or bad al Qaeda?

Hmmm... I would have put him in the "BAD" category.

Now I put him in the "DEAD" al Qaeda category.

We'll know for sure once we see tweens celebrating in the streets.

Like they did with OBL? Naaah.

The OBL Kill celebration was a once in a lifetime thing. But I sure loved it. It drove US liberals wild to see that. They were beside themselves.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd like to see some of the "good al Qaeda" offed in a similar fashion but who will they send to Ottawa to fill the Libyan embassy?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
And that's precisely why we all support capital punishment.

Are you working up to something here?

When UN soldiers were trying to get people out of a Croatian village before they were slaughtered they were held back by the United Nations and the Croatian Force came in and ethnically cleansed the village. The reason the UN soldiers were held back was because if they moved those people from the village they would have technically have been doing the job for the Croatian Forces.

Women and children were murdered, but hey at least the UN didn't move anyone.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

When UN soldiers were trying to get people out of a Croatian village before they were slaughtered they were held back by the United Nations and the Croatian Force came in and ethnically cleansed the village. The reason the UN soldiers were held back was because if they moved those people from the village they would have technically have been doing the job for the Croatian Forces.

This has nothing to do with unnecessarily killing someone.

In fact, the guilty are more useful to us alive then dead. Now all your leads to capture more terrorists are... gone!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

In fact, the guilty are more useful to us alive then dead. Now all your leads to capture more terrorists are... gone!

The logistics of them being captured alive in a country like that are slim to none, not to mention the optics of US soldiers on foreign lands. Much easier to liquidate these guys from above and move onto the next target. Plus, predator strikes give the Yemeni government plausible deniability in the matter...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The logistics of them being captured alive in a country like that are slim to none, not to mention the optics of US soldiers on foreign lands. Much easier to liquidate these guys from above and move onto the next target. Plus, predator strikes give the Yemeni government plausible deniability in the matter...

Okay, I'll give you that.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

I see you acknowledged what Durka said, so I won't repeat it. Secondly, doing nothing is worse than doing something and that has everything to do with the problem.

Third, keeping one of these knuckle draggers in a prison creates a focal point for the followers and a way to rally the troops long term.

I am not pro death penalty, but I am all for zapping these bugs in place.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Then we get accused of "invading" another country. No sir.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Okay, so maybe there's a bit of swiss in my cheese. :)

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I'll never forget the clip I saw of a reporter asking the Dutch Commander what was going on as the Croats were loading the busses up.

"What is going on here?" the reporter asked.

"You know what is going on here." the Dutch Officer replied solemnly.

They were being rounded up for the slaughter.