Teacher penalizes students for saying "bless you"

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Northern California teacher says he doesn't want to hear a common courtesy in his classroom.

He's even lowering students' grades if they say "bless you" after someone sneezes.
Steve Cuckovich says the practice is disrespectful and disruptive. He's banned saying "bless you" in his high school health class in Vacaville.
He even knocked 25 points from one student's grade for saying the phrase in class.
Cuckovich says the policy has nothing to do with religion, but says the phrase is just a outdated practice and disrupts class time.
"When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body," Cuckovich said. "So they were saying, 'god bless you' for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, I said what you're doing doesn't really make any sense anymore."
After parents complained about students losing points for saying "bless you", Cuckovich says he decided to stop the practice.
However, the teacher says he will just find another way to discipline students for saying "bless you" in class.

Teacher penalizes students for saying "bless you" | abc30.com

Another social engineering douchebag.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Northern California teacher says he doesn't want to hear a common courtesy in his classroom.

He's even lowering students' grades if they say "bless you" after someone sneezes.
Steve Cuckovich says the practice is disrespectful and disruptive. He's banned saying "bless you" in his high school health class in Vacaville.
He even knocked 25 points from one student's grade for saying the phrase in class.
Cuckovich says the policy has nothing to do with religion, but says the phrase is just a outdated practice and disrupts class time.
"When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body," Cuckovich said. "So they were saying, 'god bless you' for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, I said what you're doing doesn't really make any sense anymore."
After parents complained about students losing points for saying "bless you", Cuckovich says he decided to stop the practice.
However, the teacher says he will just find another way to discipline students for saying "bless you" in class.

Teacher penalizes students for saying "bless you" | abc30.com

Another social engineering douchebag.

Yep unfortunately there are people like that...........everything has to contribute to the "bottom line". Years ago when I listened to C.K.N.W. they had a talk show host on there that could be down right rude when a caller would ask him how his is, he thought is was a waste of time (no doubt about three seconds) and would reply "Get on with it". Very sad! :-(

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yep unfortunately there are people like that...........everything has to contribute to the "bottom line". Years ago when I listened to C.K.N.W. they had a talk show host on there that could be down right rude when a caller would ask him how his is, he thought is was a waste of time (no doubt about three seconds) and would reply "Get on with it". Very sad! :-(
Webster. Is that old codger still around?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure Gezundheit is much less distracting than bless you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm sure it was Webster.

Not the one I'm thinking of, the one I have in mind may not have been specific to C.K.N.W. but a syndicated host that was parachuted in on the weekends. Webster likely had similar tendencies.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You can't say that around kids. Somebody might think you said "goes in tight".

That's funny: when i was in high school, and my girlfriend would say 'gezundheit', I'd say 'yes, it does', or, 'sometimes it does...' depending on whether I wanted her to punch me or not...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I bet everytime somebody sneezes in his class now they are stifled (yet audible) laughs instead of a "God Bless You". Much less distracting.

The teacher did add he stopped the practice of reducing grade points under pressure but that he would find another way to take away points. Arrogant jerk.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Time to retire. When you start trying to control every minor interaction within your class like that, you're done. You've lost the respect of the students, you've lost the respect of the parents, and you've created an environment in which people will not learn from you.

saying 'bless you' is an innocuous cultural habit. His reaction to it likely disrupts class 50 times more than a one second statement EVER could.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wouldn't want unblessed children being left susceptible to sneezed out demons running around the classroom.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Time to retire. When you start trying to control every minor interaction within your class like that, you're done. You've lost the respect of the students, you've lost the respect of the parents, and you've created an environment in which people will not learn from you.

saying 'bless you' is an innocuous cultural habit. His reaction to it likely disrupts class 50 times more than a one second statement EVER could.

Yep, he needs a f**kin' holiday for sure. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Well he's going to stop this "Dark Age" habit one child at a time.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Same as "God Bless America". Mind you, a goodly number of people believe in the big guy and that's ok by me but to anyone with the hankering for retroactive cultural censorship, the end may not be that far fetched the way things are going. No psuedo-religious mention at political speeches, memorials and such. Let's all be a neutral gray.

Never mind wiping God from the yank currency.

I have a neighbourhood buddy who is a Rasta priest (and I am obviously neither rasta, nor religious) but when he gives me the customary 'God Bless', I feel better than being told to have a 'nice day'.

Oh yeah, and just for future reference...Merry Christmas fu ckers! :lol: