Maybe The Onion went too far this time

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The tweets in particular.

The United States Capitol Police on Thursday said they were investigating The Onion, a satiric media organization, for making false reports on Twitter claiming that there was a hostage situation inside the Capitol building.
Starting at 10:33 a.m., The Onion’s Twitter account began spewing the fake messages that began with this post: “BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building.”
Ten minutes later, the Twitter account posted: “BREAKING: Capitol building being evacuated. 12 children held hostage by group of armed congressmen. #CongressHostage.”
The posts are related to a satiric article and doctored photo on The Onion’s Web site that describes a fake hostage situation.

more...

The Onion's Twitter Posts Draw Scrutiny - NYTimes.com

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Congress Takes Group Of Schoolchildren Hostage
'We Need $12 Trillion Or All These Kids Die'
http://www.theonion.com/articles/congress-takes-group-of-schoolchildren-hostage,26207/

I think that's funny, but I love satire and Monty Python.

Anyone following the Onion on twitter, should know the Onion is satire...

The dullards on Capitol Hill don't seem to like satire. Nor the teabaggers who wanna be there.......:lol:

Joe McCarthy is apparently still alive and kicking

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A single statement like that though, does not constitute satire. Therein lies the issue. Just like, no matter how sarcastic or satirical you think you're being, yelling 'bomb' in an airport will get you into a load of trouble.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A single statement like that though, does not constitute satire. Therein lies the issue. Just like, no matter how sarcastic or satirical you think you're being, yelling 'bomb' in an airport will get you into a load of trouble.
What if I yell "Boob" while in the audience at "Dancing with the stars"?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

I don't follow The Onion regularly, I have caught a bit of their stuff, but I would have to agree with you Karrie. You don't yell fire in a theatre, you don't say bomb in an airport, so common sense would dictate that a hostage taking over even social media is not too smart.

Could this have been re-twitted by someone else other than the onion I wonder? Thus removing the satirical side.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sorry guys, the minute I read "Congressmen take kids hostage"...

I would have called bullsh!t.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Too far... hmmm... maybe.

I remember The Onion special 9/11 issue that came out right after the attack. The cover showed the second plane hitting WTC 2 and the headline read....

HOLY F*ING SH*T!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Too far... hmmm... maybe.

I remember The Onion special 9/11 issue that came out right after the attack. They cover showed the second plane hitting WTC 2 and the headline read....

HOLY F*ING SH*T!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sorry guys, the minute I read "Congressmen take kids hostage"...

I would have called bullsh!t.

It's the first one that's the issue... the other one's obvious. But ten minutes on a platform which exists for the sole purpose of disseminating information is enough time for something like this... “BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building.” to be taken seriously and start a panic amongst the twits.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's the first one that's the issue... the other one's obvious. But ten minutes on a platform which exists for the sole purpose of disseminating information is enough time for something like this... “BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building.” to be taken seriously and start a panic amongst the twits.

I know I am still shaking.

Someone please hold me.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ya, I'd buy that, if it wasn't posted by "The Onion".

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You know what the onion is though.... as a tweet spreads, does everyone who sees it know what The Onion is?

I pity the fool that gets any of his news via Twitter or FaceBook.

The fact that this became serious is a very sad commentary on our society today. One more proof that we have all lost our sense of common sense and/or humour.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I pity the fool that gets any of his news via Twitter or FaceBook.

Oh we could fill a whole other thread on the issue of people who think anything they see on a computer screen is fact. But, we all know they exist. The Onion knows they exist. Pitiable, yes. Fools, yes. Part of society that we need to be aware of, equally yes.