Police Brutality

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How come police brutality seems to be getting worse? Why do most investigations by the police into police brutality end up being a white wash? And why is there no outrage by the general public when obviously many of those sworn to serve and protect are doing just the opposite?

MSNBC Reporter SLAMS NYC Police Brutality!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How come police brutality seems to be getting worse? Why do most investigations by the police into police brutality end up being a white wash? And why is there no outrage by the general public when obviously many of those sworn to serve and protect are doing just the opposite?

......by the police into police brutality......

Self-explanatory. Would Revenue Canada send you a notice to audit, then have
you audit yourself.....and then take your word for it? Same thing, isn't it?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why is there no process whereby the public have a means to hold the police accountable for their actions against us? Every employer has the right to fire an employee that steps out of line and otherwise become a detriment to their well being. Why do we put up with this crap?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I get pretty furious on police brutality but come on... MSNBC? This commentary was soooo bias. I wouldn't believe this anymore than you would believe a story on FOX. How many times have we seen protests like these with protesters not quite being so peaceful?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why is there no process whereby the public have a means to hold the police accountable for their actions against us? Every employer has the right to fire an employee that steps out of line and otherwise become a detriment to their well being. Why do we put up with this crap?

I think Ontario has something like that in place. A civilian oversight. I believe it's an
exception to the status quo though.

With respect to the video in the O.P. I listened to an interview with a Stock Broker
in N.Y. that got caught up in this on the way back to work from lunch or whatever.
Dude was pulled off the sidewalk and assaulted, cuffed, held for hours, etc...he
was an unhappy man not involved in the protest what so ever.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Cops get fired all the time and some even go to jail.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I get pretty furious on police brutality but come on... MSNBC? This commentary was soooo bias. I wouldn't believe this anymore than you would believe a story on FOX. How many times have we seen protests like these with protesters not quite being so peaceful?
Even if the OP is biased, I have been watching this sort of thing going back to the sixties and it just keeps on keeping on. The same thing happens at every G8/G20 conference and it has been proven time and again that the police instigate the violence, either by their direct actions or with the use of agent provocateurs. People get noisy for a while then their attention is diverted by hockey or football. What a bunch of sheeple!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Even if the OP is biased, I have been watching this sort of thing going back to the sixties and it just keeps on keeping on. The same thing happens at every G8/G20 conference and it has been proven time and again that the police instigate the violence, either by their direct actions or with the use of agent provocateurs. People get noisy for a while then their attention is diverted by hockey or football. What a bunch of sheeple!

The protesters at the G8/G20 conferences go NUTS. Breaking windows, raising hell... what do you expect?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

No doubt the cops are guilty of some of it, but the judges are to blame for a lot of it too, too many bad apples loose on the street that should be locked up for the duration and the cops like normal people can only take so much getting sworn at, spat at, driven at, lied to etc. etc. etc. I'd say 80% of the cops I've encountered are decent people and some are very caring.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The protesters at the G8/G20 conferences go NUTS. Breaking windows, raising hell... what do you expect?
Those guys in Toronto were agent provocateurs wearing police issue boots, just like in Quebec City.

No doubt the cops are guilty of some of it, but the judges are to blame for a lot of it too, too many bad apples loose on the street that should be locked up for the duration and the cops like normal people can only take so much getting sworn at, spat at, driven at, lied to etc. etc. etc. I'd say 80% of the cops I've encountered are decent people and some are very caring.
Yes, a lotof cops (most) would be decent people. But it is just like moderate Muslims that don't say or do anything about the radicals fundamentalists argument. Why do the 20% of the bad apples on the police force get away with with the brutality? Why are their actions mostly whitewashed? Screw their code of silence! If the good guys can't or won't deal with the bad apples then they are accessories to the crime.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Those guys in Toronto were agent provocateurs wearing police issue boots, just like in Quebec City.

Yes, a lotof cops (most) would be decent people. But it is just like moderate Muslims that don't say or do anything about the radicals fundamentalists argument. Why do the 20% of the bad apples on the police force get away with with the brutality? Why are their actions mostly whitewashed? Screw their code of silence! If the good guys can't or won't deal with the bad apples then they are accessories to the crime.

When are the four bozos that tasered the Polish guy to death at YVR going to get their comeuppance? It's reached the point where it's sickening, and as far as I know they are still drawing pay.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When are the four bozos that tasered the Polish guy to death at YVR going to get their comeuppance? It's reached the point where it's sickening, and as far as I know they are still drawing pay.
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but it is what they are payed to do: keep the sheeple in line. They are not really hired to serve and protect you or I, just the wealthy ruling class. Everybody else is expendable.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I don't think Police Brutality is getting any worse. I think its just the fact that we way more camera's out there waiting for that gotcha moment. Couple that with around the clock news networks. Youube LiveLeak social media and suddenly we are inundated by a rash of videos. Cops per capita per instances probably doesn't even hit 1 % of a serving force.

That's not to discount that cops go over the line, but I think the media sniffs this stuff out for ratings and inflates the hysteria.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but it is what they are payed to do: keep the sheeple in line. They are not really hired to serve and protect you or I, just the wealthy ruling class. Everybody else is expendable.

Do you really believe this crap, because I like to think you're more intelligent than that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't think Police Brutality is getting any worse. I think its just the fact that we way more camera's out there waiting for that gotcha moment. Couple that with around the clock news networks. Youube LiveLeak social media and suddenly we are inundated by a rash of videos. Cops per capita per instances probably doesn't even hit 1 % of a serving force.

That's not to discount that cops go over the line, but I think the media sniffs this stuff out for ratings and inflates the hysteria.

Do you really believe this crap, because I like to think you're more intelligent than that.
Possibly, but I have witnessed and experienced police initiating violence for no other reason than to attempt to discredit protesters and because they can and get away with it. I have been on thefront lines of the Vietnam war protests all the way to the Perry Ridge protests of logging in the watersheds of the Slocan Valley. Not once did I see the police try to protect the interests of the people, just corporate interests.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Possibly, but I have witnessed and experienced police initiating violence for no other reason than to attempt to discredit protesters and because they can and get away with it. I have been on thefront lines of the Vietnam war protests all the way to the Perry Ridge protests of logging in the watersheds of the Slocan Valley. Not once did I see the police try to protect the interests of the people, just corporate interests.

Given the very narrow scope of your assessment I'd say that you are quite biased. Protesters often view police as adversarial. I've been to a protest or two myself and in large gatherings often attempts are made by protesters to push the envelope. Yes, some cops go over the line, but the vast majority are there to keep the peace.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm surprized at you Cliff. I thought you were above that. You are really off base on all of this. Yes there are bad cops. Yes they get fired. Just like the ones from YVR will certainly be. It's my belief they will be and while I don't know if they are suspended with pay or without - I highly suspect that under the circumstances - it would be without pay. I have no way of knowing what will happen to them but I certainly know of a number of cops that have been jailed over the years and I would say there is a strong bet that those four will be as well. If they don't all go, at the very least, IMO the officer in charge should. The cops don't give a ratz ass about corporate interests Cliff. Why would they? It doesn't even begin to make sense.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm surprized at you Cliff. I thought you were above that. You are really off base on all of this. Yes there are bad cops. Yes they get fired. Just like the ones from YVR will certainly be. It's my belief they will be and while I don't know if they are suspended with pay or without - I highly suspect that under the circumstances - it would be without pay. I have no way of knowing what will happen to them but I certainly know of a number of cops that have been jailed over the years and I would say there is a strong bet that those four will be as well. If they don't all go, at the very least, IMO the officer in charge should. The cops don't give a ratz ass about corporate interests Cliff. Why would they? It doesn't even begin to make sense.
What a pleasant surprise to see you here. How ya doing?

I based the corporate interest statement on the Perry Ridge protests, among others, where logging on these steep slopes not only endangers the water supplies of hundreds of people, but there is the very real possibility of landslides, land slumps and sink holes that also endanger human life and property. But the police literally dragged off a 16 year old girl and an 85 year old man in a wheel chair, among others, for standing up against the logging companies that were threatening their very lives and livelihoods. So what should I determine from that? I have seen that so many times, I can't come to any other conclusion.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I learned a long time ago,don't chuck sas to a cop,you don't know him or what kind of day he's had,they can be easily provoked and if they beat you so bad your wife can't recognize you,well you'er lucky you didn't get a warning shot in the back of the head.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mark is right.

Today there are endless numbers of helpful douchebags and cop-enablers with cameras of all sorts. Also, add to that the influx of professional rent-a-'protester', 'activists', black hoodies and whatnot.

As was noted, this msnbc partisan racist hack is a laughing stock. Couldn't even hold his 'show' on CNN.