Conservative Lock Down on information – Talking Points only – Get with the program

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Conservative Lock Down on information – Talking Points only – Get with the program

With a majority Govt PM Harper can expect to see more bad news making it to the press. Some will come from the new Backbenchers frustrated with the "Talking Points Regime" as directed from the PMO.

With radical changes in the Crimes Bills where a Rapist, Child Molester receives less time in jail that someone with 6 pot plants. That is a recipe for disaster for the Govt. Much the same way the revised Pardon Rules, changed under Harper blew up with Olsen and his Pension, others that had names changes and were no longer listed. Other that had committed sexual assault on Children receiving Pardons. Harper's so called outrage was literally pure BS, his Govt approved the changes. The Govt clearly did not have clear direction and focused changes were not the priority. It was playing to the base emotional response of the Voter.

There will be leaks from all levels, keeping such a tight regime as mentioned in the accompanying article will lead to major blow back from people with access to all sorts of bad news.

Veteran DND public affairs staff quitting over interference: report | News | National Post

But at the same time there has been an exodus of experienced military public affairs officers, with more than 30% of the organization’s senior officers leaving in the last two years, according to a 2010-2011 strategic assessment produced by the office of Josee Touchette, assistant deputy minister for public affairs. The document was obtained by the Citizen.

This year alone 12 public affairs officers have left, defence sources say. Two senior civilian public servants have also left the branch in recent weeks.

Some of the retired officers told the Citizen they became fed up with the excessive controls on information brought in by the Harper government. Most communication with the media these days is done through emailed statements or “talking points” which must be approved by the Prime Minister’s Office.

The focus is not to promote the men and women in uniform, say retired and serving public affairs staff, but to protect the government from embarrassment. There is also a large amount of political interference, they add, with Conservative staff often berating uniformed personnel for not keeping a lid on unflattering news stories.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
So how is this new? When back benchers went against party lines in past majorities they were sanctioned (i.e. removed/not placed on important committees, their questions/speeches weren't high priority in the House of Commons, etc.) and in some cases removed from caucus. Thats part of how the system works: tow the party line or get pushed out. It happened under Trudeau, Mulroney, Chretien and probably before them as well. It applies to the civil service and in the private sector as well: respect what your boss tells you or find a new job. I agree it would be "nice" if people could speak out more but then again, how much would be legitimate and how much would be axe grinding/sabotaging higher ups you dislike?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So how is this new? When back benchers went against party lines in past majorities they were sanctioned (i.e. removed/not placed on important committees, their questions/speeches weren't high priority in the House of Commons, etc.) and in some cases removed from caucus. Thats part of how the system works: tow the party line or get pushed out. It happened under Trudeau, Melloney, Chretien and probably before them as well. It applies to the civil service and in the private sector as well: respect what your boss tells you or find a new job. I agree it would be "nice" if people could speak out more but then again, how much would be legitimate and how much would be axe grinding/sabotaging higher ups you dislike?

Chretien, Mulroney Trudeau put up with dissenting opinions - To a point - Nothing like Harper has.
Difference is Harper has had them in lock down so long I can see them raising their hands to get permission to Shxt. People will ask their MP's - never mind the TP's what is your opinion or do you need the PMO's authorization to have a different opinion.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Chretien, Mulroney Trudeau put up with dissenting opinions - To a point - Nothing like Harper has.
Difference is Harper has had them in lock down so long I can see them raising their hands to get permission to Shxt. People will ask their MP's - never mind the TP's what is your opinion or do you need the PMO's authorization to have a different opinion.

John Nunziata might disagree with you on that.

On April 21, 1996, Nunziata was expelled from the Liberal caucus after he voted against the government's budget in protest over the government breaking a promise to rescind the Goods and Services Tax.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Once again, someone that hates the Conservatives, is spreading another rumor. Sad to see just how desperate some people will become, and the lies that they will tell or "enhance", to try to make the other side look bad.

It has been tried, in one way or another, by virtually every government in the Western World, over the past 60-70 years or so. it NEVER works.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Once again, someone that hates the Conservatives, is spreading another rumor. Sad to see just how desperate some people will become, and the lies that they will tell or "enhance", to try to make the other side look bad.

It has been tried, in one way or another, by virtually every government in the Western World, over the past 60-70 years or so. it NEVER works.

Quite the allegation that i hate Conservatives. Care to prove that please. Or are you blowing bad air again.

John Nunziata might disagree with you on that.

On April 21, 1996, Nunziata was expelled from the Liberal caucus after he voted against the government's budget in protest over the government breaking a promise to rescind the Goods and Services Tax.

The Govt then ordered all to vote along the Party Line. In the UK they have much more freedom to vote without all being from the same skanky cesspool.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It was the end of Nunziata's career as a Liberal MP.

Yes the Liberals were good at ending careers - Tequila Sheila had her own that she left by the side of the road. Those that gave her the start - Dropped them like stink. One was falsely accused, went to court and Sheila was nowhere to be seen, went out of her way to hang him, but she was always tooting her own horn.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Yes the Liberals were good at ending careers - Tequila Sheila had her own that she left by the side of the road. Those that gave her the start - Dropped them like stink. One was falsely accused, went to court and Sheila was nowhere to be seen, went out of her way to hang him, but she was always tooting her own horn.

The Conservatives are in a very difficult place right now. The last thing any party wants to do is start painting pictures of doom and gloom. I think we all know how bad the picture is, but the media will be feeding it to us with a back hoe if the serving government starts musing aloud. I don't think this would make a difference if any party were in charge.

Best just to stay vigilant than screamin "Iceberg dead ahead!:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Conservatives are in a very difficult place right now. The last thing any party wants to do is start painting pictures of doom and gloom. I think we all know how bad the picture is, but the media will be feeding it to us with a back hoe if the serving government starts musing aloud. I don't think this would make a difference if any party were in charge.

Best just to stay vigilant than screamin "Iceberg dead ahead!:

On that point, yes. We all know that the EU has dithered as the normally do over Greece. Greece cannot afford to pay those bills that they owe.

On the other side, Harper runs a ship that is to tight and that has affected the Public Service. They work for us, Not the Harper,New Conservative Govt.

I voted Lib, i met my MP and stated I could not vote con, stated i was ex military - what does he mention - pension claw back - i informed himit was because of the crap the call the Veterans Charter - An abomination -

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
On that point, yes. We all know that the EU has dithered as the normally do over Greece. Greece cannot afford to pay those bills that they owe.

On the other side, Harper runs a ship that is to tight and that has affected the Public Service. They work for us, Not the Harper,New Conservative Govt.

I voted Lib, i met my MP and stated I could not vote con, stated i was ex military - what does he mention - pension claw back - i informed himit was because of the crap the call the Veterans Charter - An abomination -

I believe the Veterans' was started by the Liberals.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I believe the Veterans' was started by the Liberals.

It was approved by all parties - No discussion - At that time the costs for care were projected at 7 Billion for Soldiers injured - killed. The Brits brought the same system in and it was a nightmare for Soldiers.
Remember Col Stroghan - Stating ref a comment from a member of the PMO - It was cheaper to have a Soldier die. And it is.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It was approved by all parties - No discussion - At that time the costs for care were projected at 7 Billion for Soldiers injured - killed. The Brits brought the same system in and it was a nightmare for Soldiers.
Remember Col Stroghan - Stating ref a comment from a member of the PMO - It was cheaper to have a Soldier die. And it is.

Trust me Goob I have never supported it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What lockdown?

The opposition will be blabbing everything they see wrong with the Harper government to the media who will lap it up. That's how it has always been, hasn't it?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
What lockdown?

The opposition will be blabbing everything they see wrong with the Harper government to the media who will lap it up. That's how it has always been, hasn't it?

Tweedledum and tweedledee for sure. Peace, order, the good govt. is there when it's there. Some squeaks through now and then.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What lockdown?

Nope - Corrections - Pun intended.

So if you grow pot plants, grow 4 not 5-

Corrections figures offer glimpse of Tory crime agenda’s total cost - The Globe and Mail

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews estimated on April 28, 2010, that the legislation would cost taxpayers about $2-billion over five years. That was a large adjustment from comments he made earlier that month, when he said the cost would be “not more than $90-million” over two years. Parliamentary Budget

Now recently-released figures by Correctional Service Canada reveal that true cost of the Truth in Sentencing Act is coming in slightly higher than the government’s $2-billion estimate.

Correctional Services Canada’s overall budget for the current fiscal year of 2011-12 is projected to be $514.2-million, or 20.8 per cent, higher than the year before. The main reason for this is $458-million in new spending tied to the Truth in Sentencing Act. Should that figure hold over five years, the five-year cost would be $2.3-billion, $300-million higher that Mr. Toews’s estimate but significantly lower that Mr. Page’s.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Tony gonna clear the air. Now this should be quite entertaining. Such a small man, in stature and morals as well, turning himself into a pretzel.

Let me see now. All Committees are run by the Conservatives - That is what a Majority Govt does.

After it is done, Harper should ask for his resignation. Now that would send a clear message.

Tony Clement vows to clear the air on G8 spending in his riding - The Globe and Mail

Treasury Board President Tony Clement, who has refused to answer questions about $50-million in G8 spending in his Muskoka riding, says he will appear before a Commons committee to set the record straight.

“We have arranged for myself and others including [Foreign Affairs Minister John] Baird, who had his responsibilities in the program, [Infrastructure] Minister [Denis] LeBel and others to appear before the public accounts committee in the weeks ahead, where parliamentarians will have a full right to ask any additional questions they may have ,” Mr. Clement told reporters Wednesday after the Conservative Party’s weekly caucus meeting.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Goober;1482694 I wonder how Harper said:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/06/%E2%80%98rules-were-broken%E2%80%99-over-g8g20-summit-spending-auditor-general/[/url]

Just as troubling for Wiersema is that when government sought parliamentary approval for the spending, it folded the $50-million into an $83-million infrastructure fund that MPs were told was intended to reduce border congestion. Clement’s riding isn’t near the border.

“It’s not right,” Wiersema said.

He also recounted other details of his June report, which noted that parliamentarians were left in the dark on the total costs of hosting the G8 summit in Hunstville, Ont., and the G20 summit in Toronto in June 2010. Members of Parliament eventually approved $1.1-billion in spending for summits that were likely to cost only $664-million.

A short time-frame to prepare for the summits had departments scrambling together budgets, he noted.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Goober;1482694 An excellent article - Appears to me that Mr. page is doing a better job on a shoestring than the mandarins in LaLa land. [url=http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/10/16/harper%E2%80%99s-majority-could-be-his-greatest-threat/ said:
Michael Den Tandt: Harper[/url]

Why, then, is this normally disciplined PMO giving senior Conservatives free reign to hammer Kevin Page? The parliamentary budget officer is in year four of a five-year term. They can’t remove him. Belittling him just makes him more credible to the millions of Canadians still casting about for any reason to loathe Harper. Yet it is people like Page, and the auditor general, and more transparent government generally, that will give this government the tautness it needs to stay healthy through the next election cycle. The shipwright with his pick, testing for rot, is actually doing the captain a favour.

Granted, Page did himself no favours last week. His initial acceptance of a speaking gig at a young Liberals’ event in Nanaimo, reported by Bill Curry at the Globe, was wonky in the extreme. The appearance was later cancelled.

Page has to know that the gnomes in finance, whom he has repeatedly upstaged and contradicted (with only middling success, as Curry also has previously pointed out) would pounce on this misstep like hungry coyotes on a juicy bit of steak. They did precisely that, noting with ill-concealed glee that Page has undercut his own credibility — then citing the Globe’s survey last month showing that, of 15 fiscal forecasts surveyed between Nov. 2008 and June, 2011, Finance’s projections beat the PBO’s nine times.

Here’s the thing: The numbers weren’t that far apart. And Page is working with an annual budget of $2.8-million and a staff of 12, plus two interns, according to the PBO website. Whereas Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and his staff have an entire government to draw on when making their forecasts. Do they not realize that Page could easily become viewed by Harper haters as David to Goliath, if they continue building him up by tearing him down?