Nuke Energy Still In The Tar Sands Mix, Head of AECL

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Scary, let's hope this guy is eating spiked brownies. But an oil biggie says no. Let's hope sanity prevails here. A good reason to develop geothermal energy to completely push nuke power onto the scrap heap of history. Nuke power requires billions in subsidies for a process that can't get rid of its waste.

Nuclear role in oilsands 'still possible'

Nuclear role in oilsands 'still possible'

Industries need to 'get together,' says AECL CEO

By Dan Healing, Calgary Herald September 24, 2011

The head of Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. says there's still hope that nuclear power can be used in the oilsands - but the vice-chairman of the company that built Canada's newest oilsands mine says it's not a priority.

"I think nuclear has a role to play in the exploitation of Canada's oilsands resources," said AECL president and chief executive Hugh MacDiarmid during a presentation at the Global Business Forum.

"The nuclear industry and the oilsands industry need to get together and find a solution that works and be part of that dialogue . . . I remain convinced that nuclear can be a very important of the long-term exploitation of that resource."

However, Murray Edwards, vicechairman of Canadian Natural Resources Ltd., which opened the 110,000 barrel per day Horizon mine and upgrader near Fort McMurray in 2009, said in an interview at the forum that nuclear is not being considered at the moment.

"I think the industry is right now focusing on more important or more immediate priorities in terms of ways to, one, make sure we have appropriate markets for our production and, two, continue to show Canadians continuous improvement on the environmental side," he said.

"In terms of the issue of power generation by nuclear energy . . . with current natural gas prices, it's tough to look at other options such as nuclear."

MacDiarmid, speaking as part of a panel looking at key trends in energy supply and demand, had finished his presentation and Robert Stan, chairman of the Coal Association of Canada, had just started his when the lights went out in the meeting room at the Fairmont Banff Springs conference centre.

While hotel staff scrambled to open doors to let in light, the panel members, including Robert Gardner of ExxonMobil and moderator Ali Velshi of CNN, traded jibes over the suspicious timing of the outage.

Power was restored shortly after the conference ended, around 4 p.m.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Our options are rather limited though, no? I'm pretty sure Ontario couldn't survive on gas fuelled power plants alone, not without building dozens of new plants anyway.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Our options are rather limited though, no? I'm pretty sure Ontario couldn't survive on gas fuelled power plants alone, not without building dozens of new plants anyway.

If you mean natural gas power plants, there lots of that around, in fact, prices are depressed. But Ont wants to get away from fossil fuels and go for greener wind and solar. Geothermal is more reliable, it's a proven tech, it's green, and Canada has plenty of it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If you mean natural gas power plants, there lots of that around, in fact, prices are depressed. But Ont wants to get away from fossil fuels and go for greener wind and solar. Geothermal is more reliable, it's a proven tech, it's green, and Canada has plenty of it.

I'm not talking solar and other BS schemes. As it is, Ontario gets about 41% of it's electricity from Nuclear, to replace that with gas powered plants would cost a fortune.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It sure would, Sherwood and geothermal would be pricy too.

I know we recently built a new natural gas generation plant down on the lakeshore in Toronto, I believe it only fires up when there is dips from the main sources though, that's what they told me when I toured it anyway.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Here's a shot from the place

Surprisingly clean for a power plant huh?
and whisper quiet, although it got hot as balls when it fired up lol

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Petros: This is a shot of the inside of the "Hearn" a decommissioned coal power plant adjacent to the gas plant.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Interesting, but doesn't Ont want to get rid of nuke power too? Just be all green all the time I've heard. Geothermal is the way.

Ontario is not going to get rid of nuke power, regardless the rhetoric of the Liberals. We import more then our share of gas from out west though, what I have seen is that coal based plants are being replaces with natural gas, which in turn is a plus for Sask/Alberta

There is not enough solar panels in the world to meet Ontario's energy needs.

I don't really know anything about geo-thermal to comment

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What bugs me about nuclear power is that there is no way to make it economical.
The plants cost a fortune to build, the spent fuel has to be stored forever, and the plants have to be decomissioned.

The numbers don't work out unless you count on the government covering a huge chunk of the costs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What bugs me about nuclear power is that there is no way to make it economical.
The plants cost a fortune to build, the spent fuel has to be stored forever, and the plants have to be decomissioned.

The numbers don't work out unless you count on the government covering a huge chunk of the costs.
It is capital costs that have already killed this topic in SK and AB. Who has the cash to wait 6-8 years for a nuke to be built and come on-line in a market that is being saturated by more efficient and cost effective energy sources?