Rights Group Calls for Cheney Arrest-in Vancouver

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Rights group calls for Cheney's arrest in Vancouver

Rights group calls for Cheney's arrest in Vancouver - CTV News

this could get interesting and in a perfect world........other nations would not have to address these dirty issues that the US sweeps under the carpet or treats as "legal" or "the new norm"

Never thought I would live to see the day that america TORTURES. When "america" was the loudest in condemning such conduct as barbaric. How low it has sunk. and lost its ethical, legal and moral fiber in the process.

Hope NO ONE shows up for his stupid book tour in Vancouver. Let him laugh that off.

Vancouver will have to fumigate itself after this sorry specimen leaves to get rid of the stench.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Yawn, some Toronto group wanted the cops to arrest GWB while he was in the city a couple nights back. Seriously, these people need to get a facking job or something.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
A US Human Rights Group wants Canada to arrest Cheney? What arrogance.

I thought it was more ironic than arrogant.

I have to admit, the ideologue in me would love to see politicians held more accountable, even to the point of possible criminal charges for truly bad decisions, but the realist in me sees reasonable doubt too easily in the fact that while malice may be criminal in some cases, incompetence and stupidity generally aren't.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

this could get interesting and in a perfect world........other nations would not have to address these dirty issues that the US sweeps under the carpet or treats as "legal" or "the new norm"

Never thought I would live to see the day that america TORTURES. When "america" was the loudest in condemning such conduct as barbaric. How low it has sunk. and lost its ethical, legal and moral fiber in the process.

Hope NO ONE shows up for his stupid book tour in Vancouver. Let him laugh that off.

Vancouver will have to fumigate itself after this sorry specimen leaves to get rid of the stench.

Do we really want to present ourselves to be as ignorant as some contend he is? He'll probably spend as much or more money here than the average tourist. It never hurts to be gracious.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Do you really want Canadian law enforcement to bow to the whims and wishes of the Americans?

Haven't you been campaigning against such things?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Being hunting season, it's probably not a bad time for Cheney to come up, although it would probably be best to steer him away from downtown Vancouver. :smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Do you really want Canadian law enforcement to bow to the whims and wishes of the Americans?

Haven't you been campaigning against such things?

When it comes to arresting Bush and Cheney... they'd roll over like a beached whale.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When it comes to arresting Bush and Cheney... they'd roll over like a beached whale.
Moral relativity, selective outrage, hypocrisy, there's nothing these people won't roll over for, so long as it feeds there ideological bent.

I wish I didn't have principles. That way I could be a moral acrobat like OB.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Moral relativity, selective outrage, hypocrisy, there's nothing these people won't roll over for, so long as it feeds there ideological bent.

I wish I didn't have principles. That way I could be a moral acrobat like OB.

What exactly to you mean by these people?

Quite Frankly, I'm offended.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The point of the protest is to remind people that Cheney authorized torture. No they won't bring Cheney to justice... but they made the news.

BTW, Gitmo still exists. Who knows how many American black sites exist or how many people Americans have abducted over the years...
Black site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheney also was a primary force behind the US starting an unprovoked American war of aggression against the Iraqi people, which has made Cheney and others around him in the oil industry much wealthier. Many people still believe the US found evidence of WMDs and links to 9/11. So far this war which continues to drag down the US financially has resulted in hundreds of thousands of violent deaths and made millions of people homeless refugees.

I support holding people accountable for their actions...

Thousands of pages of the files are reported to reveal that most of the prisoners who remain at Guantanamo - 130 of them - have been rated as posing a "high-risk'" threat to the US if they are freed without rehabilitation or supervision.

At least 150 people were innocent Afghans or Pakistanis, including drivers, farmers and chefs, who were rounded up as part of frantic intelligence gathering, and then detained for years.

In several cases, senior US commanders were said to have concluded that there is "no reason recorded for transfer".

The documents also show instances in which authorities were concerned less with containing dangerous suspects than on extracting intelligence....Sami al-Hajj ... Al Jazeera cameraman ... arrested in 2001... held at Guantanamo for six years, was detained partly in order to be interrogated about the news network...
'Guantanamo files': Dozens held were innocent - Americas - Al Jazeera English

My point isn't that everyone in Gitmo and US Black sites should be set free. My point is this jail system is illegal, unjust and unfair. Americans should have higher standards. Based on current trends, its only a matter of time until Chinese leaders can visit the US and legitimately give the President a lecture on Human Rights...