Crime or Mental illness

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am just wondering if Stevie Boy is paying a little too much attention to crime and not enough to solving problems regarding mental illness. Granted there are people who need locking up for a long time if not the duration, but don't we already have laws and sentences in place to take care of these people?
So apart from a little fine tuning regarding things like bail, parole and other loop holes, there is not a hell of a lot to be done. If mental illness was addressed, more problems could be managed BEFORE they reached criminal proportions.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I did some construction work at the grande Cache medium security prison and they should take kids when they are young and just walk them through the place.It used to scare the **** out of me so I can imagine what it would do to a young impressionable mind.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
After studying the state of the world for the last 50 years, I have come to the conclusion that the Earth is the insane asylum of the Universe. Insanity is built into our genes. The pharmaceuticals are poised to make a killing!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
After studying the state of the world for the last 50 years, I have come to the conclusion that the Earth is the insane asylum of the Universe. Insanity is built into our genes. The pharmaceuticals are poised to make a killing!

I know we are all nuts, Cliff, but was talking more about the unmanageable type of goofiness. :lol:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I am just wondering if Stevie Boy is paying a little too much attention to crime and not enough to solving problems regarding mental illness. Granted there are people who need locking up for a long time if not the duration, but don't we already have laws and sentences in place to take care of these people?
So apart from a little fine tuning regarding things like bail, parole and other loop holes, there is not a hell of a lot to be done. If mental illness was addressed, more problems could be managed BEFORE they reached criminal proportions.

When it comes to crime, Canadians have been very vocal that too many lenient sentences are being handed down, hence the tough new proposals.

When it comes to mental health, a major problem is that a lot of people who suffer from mental health problems simply don't want help. Don't believe me? Go to the Downtown Eastside and see how many people you can convince to enter treatment, you won't have much success. And you can forget treating people in the first place, what these people need is a cure, and that cure is hearing the gospel and walking into the open arms of Jesus Christ.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
When it comes to crime, Canadians have been very vocal that too many lenient sentences are being handed down, hence the tough new proposals.

... That and the fact that "mental illness" is used as the excuse for every possible crime going.

Little Johnny killed someone, or stole a car or joined a gang 'cause: (choose from the list)

1. He was held too much as a child.
  2. He wasn't held enough.
  3. He was bullied in school.
  4. He was the bully.
  5. Etceterra
  6. Ad infinitum.
  7. Ad nauseaum.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
... That and the fact that "mental illness" is used as the excuse for every possible crime going.

Little Johnny killed someone, or stole a car or joined a gang 'cause: (choose from the list)

1. He was held too much as a child.
  2. He wasn't held enough.
  3. He was bullied in school.
  4. He was the bully.
  5. Etceterra
  6. Ad infinitum.
  7. Ad nauseaum.

Most people who are afflicted with a mental illness are, for the most part, not the ones who commit crimes and not the ones using it as an excuse/defense.

Unfortunately they do often get tarred with the same brush as those who willfully commit crimes and claim they had no choice/control/understanding of what they did wrong. The legal definition needs a complete overhaul, imho.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's the sad part of this tale; it's the needy that are ignored due to the prevalence of all the individuals that keep crying wolf every time they get caught.

Everybody's a victim, nobody is ever at fault.

Personally, I blame the lawyers.

Unfortunately I think it's gone way beyond them now. Seems like almost everyone is infected with the "it's not my fault" disease.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's the sad part of this tale; it's the needy that are ignored due to the prevalence of all the individuals that keep crying wolf every time they get caught.

Personally, I blame the lawyers.

That's one of the problems of everyone being "innocent" until proven guilty!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
What exactly should the gov't do about mental illness, force them to take meds, round them them up and put them in group homes... or what !

This is one area of health care that we really need to focus on and yes, if necessary we should round up those who pose a risk to themselves or others. I have a family member who suffers from mental illness and that person needs to monitored closely. There many people out there who do not have this luxury.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Part of the problem in BC is Interior Health/Mental Health. They are under funded and under staffed so they throw drugs around willy nilly and give very little needed therapy. 90% of mental health problems can be handled by the patient if properly trained. But many of the people I know are guiny pigs for the pharmaceuticals and Mental Health is just a legal drug pusher.

One of the major problems is that, sooner or later, everybody has a breakdown and then they get labeled Bi-polar, schizophrenic or whatever newly "discovered" illness of the week. Then they are stuck with it for life and told they have to take medications for life. Most of these people will recover on their own naturally as the trauma passes but once labeled by the system, they are considered mentally ill forever. A lot of that is just job creation or protection.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is one area of health care that we really need to focus on and yes, if necessary we should round up those who pose a risk to themselves or others. I have a family member who suffers from mental illness and that person needs to monitored closely. There many people out there who do not have this luxury.

That's the hard part of all this though is how do you force medical treatment upon someone. I've know a couple of individuals who have supportive families, are persuaded to seek attention, but will choose to go off their meds because often the side effects are horrendous.

Do we forceably medicate people?

I do completely get what you're saying and I do see the reason in it, but it kind of frightens me how close to the line that would skate.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

This new crime bill has serious problems - Vic the Crime Killer was completely against Mandatory sentences as late as 88 -
Seem people and Pot are high on the Conservative agenda, the bills will be paid by the provinces as most will be sentenced to under 2 years - A Prov cost.

8 or 9 prisoners equals - 10-12 Police - or break it down to health professionals needed - Funds for at risk youth. And on and on. We are headed the way the US did 30-40 years ago, then they made it worse with the 3 strikes - Now they are releasing small time drug dealers as they cannot afford it any more.

Pot growers face more jail than rapists

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There are lots of people running around who are bi polar or skitzophrenic and don't know and are always in trouble, where as if they were identified and on proper medication they could lead normal productive lives. Quite often these are extremely intelligent people but once "off the rails" they are hopeless.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There are lots of people running around who are bi polar or skitzophrenic and don't know and are always in trouble, where as if they were identified and on proper medication they could lead normal productive lives. Quite often these are extremely intelligent people but once "off the rails" they are hopeless.

I am going from memory here, yes I know I am old. Approx 25-30 % of the prison population has an identifiable mental illness. Also Mental Illness does not fall under the Canada Health care Act - Medicare -

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Schizophrenic meds are horrific. The side effects render the patient useless even to themselves much of the time. that is why it is so difficult to get them to stay on them. Most bi-polar people I know are on lithium which makes them lethargic unless they have been on them for a long time and then some of them can function almost normally.