Canadian ethical oil ad stirs Saudi ire

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The notion of ethical oil is even murkier than a barrelful of crude.

A Canadian-made television ad that speaks out against oil imported from Saudi Arabia has raised the ire of the Middle Eastern nation, prompting it to send a threatening legal notice to broadcaster CTV. Canadian ethical oil ad stirs Saudi ire - thestar.com

Looks like the Saudi's do not like people hearing the truth about their oppressive little kingdom, they filed off legal notices about the commercial, causing CTV not to play the ad, which is rather coward'ish in my opinion.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hey, a positive follow up from the cap..

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not a single species of animal, plant, bug or microbe survives without the death of some other species. Life on this planet is a blood bath. If you are squeamish, you really need a reality check. Ethics are like morality; they change with cultural background.

But I am with RCS - screw the Saudis.

It was a tongue in cheek comment.

It really offended Walter apparently, but he doesn't want to talk about it.
Don't worry about Walter. It is offended by life apparently. It is the greatest source of negative reps I have.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The notion of ethical oil is even murkier than a barrelful of crude.

A Canadian-made television ad that speaks out against oil imported from Saudi Arabia has raised the ire of the Middle Eastern nation, prompting it to send a threatening legal notice to broadcaster CTV. Canadian ethical oil ad stirs Saudi ire - thestar.com

Looks like the Saudi's do not like people hearing the truth about their oppressive little kingdom, they filed off legal notices about the commercial, causing CTV not to play the ad, which is rather coward'ish in my opinion.

I'm kind of curious as to what legal basis the Saudis would use against the CTV for running this ad. Nothing it claims about the Saudis is could be construed as defamatory, libelous or slander. All the claims about the Saudis are quotes with sources attributed. That CTV has backed off this ad is an attack on free speech. If the Saudis don't like it, they could a) improve conditions for women in their country or b) initiate more discussion on the environmental issues associated with the oilsands... but if they want to do the latter, their own environmental house should be in order or it could result in criticism being leveled back at it (and no, they generally don't have our degree of environmental/pollution standards in the Middle East...).