Mother Strangles Newborn..

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And get's no jail time.
Canadian Mother Strangles Newborn, Gets No Jail Time and Judge Defends Infanticide By Comparing It to Abortion
In citing Canada’s abortion laws, an Edmonton appeal court ruled that an Alberta woman who strangled her son with her underwear after secretly giving birth in 2005, will face no guaranteed jail time.

Katrina Effert was sentenced Friday for killing her newborn and then throwing the body over a fence into the neighbor’s yard on April 13, 2005, when she was 19. She was given a three-year suspended sentence by Judge Joanne Veit wherein if she abides by the court’s conditions for the next three years, she will not spend time behind bars. CBC notes the justification given by the judge for such an astounding sentence:

More...... Canadian-mother-strangles-newborn-gets-no-jail-time-and-judge-defends-infanticide-by-comparing-it-to-abortion/

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And get's no jail time.
Canadian Mother Strangles Newborn, Gets No Jail Time and Judge Defends Infanticide By Comparing It to Abortion

More...... Canadian-mother-strangles-newborn-gets-no-jail-time-and-judge-defends-infanticide-by-comparing-it-to-abortion/

I intend to write my MP along with the other appropriate ministers as well. This is a travesty where the Judge is clearly of her Fukin Rocking Chair. A judicial review of this should be done and the Crown to appeal this travesty of a sentence.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:banghead:..................Who TF put all the "it's ok" laws on the books.?

Jesus H...................At least give her psycho observation...........

There are ADOPTION options.

Once the babe breathes air, it ain't a fetus..................

FUKK!!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If she had done it just a few hours earlier, no one would be upset at all..... cause then it wouldn't be "illegal". But since she waited till after the baby was "born", the hypocrites come out of the wood work with their condemnation.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If she had done it just a few hours earlier, no one would be upset at all..... cause then it wouldn't be "illegal". But since she waited till after the baby was "born", the hypocrites come out of the wood work with their condemnation.

Yeah....I don't see much difference between late term abortion and this either.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
There is a definite double standard. If a depressed fatigued father had shook the baby to death there would be no out for him.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This wasn't really an abortion because the woman inflicted a substantial amount of pain on the child. Sure they probably have no significant memory at this point, but the child would still feel pain right up until its death. Also, this wasn't a child that was on life support or in some vegetative state, so it was definitely worth keeping alive at that point.

As far as I understand she technically isn't let off yet - contrary to the sensationalist headline. If you track the story back to the original source (that horrendous CBC), you'll find that it's a three year suspended sentence. So she basically has three years to satisfy certain conditions during this probationary period (that we don't know about yet) in order to get off.

We should probably find out more information about this story before knee jerking the pitchforks.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Young Alta. mother convicted of newborn's murder

WETASKIWIN, Alta. — A jury has found a young Alberta mother guilty of second-degree murder for strangling her newborn baby and tossing his body over a neighbour's fence. Katrina Effert was 19 in April of last year when she secretly gave birth to a child in her parent's basement in Wetaskiwin.
The baby's body was found four days later wrapped in towels and with thong underwear around his neck.

CTV.ca - Young Alta. mother convicted of newborn's murder- CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Effert sentenced to at least 10 years after second-degree murder verdict upheld

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Joanne Veit sentenced Katrina Effert to at least 10 years in prison for the second-degree murder of her newborn son.
"I sentence you to life imprisonment with no possibility of parole for 10 years," stated Veit.

CTV Edmonton - Effert sentenced to at least 10 years after second-degree murder verdict upheld - CTV News

Trial judge's charge to jury 'flawed'

EDMONTON - A Wetaskiwin woman convicted of murdering her baby has won a new trial, after the Crown conceded the judge's instructions to the jury were flawed.
A Court of Appeal of Alberta panel ordered a second trial Thursday for Katrina Effert, found by the jury to have strangled her baby son with a pair of thong underwear and thrown his body into a neighbour's yard.
Effert, then 20, hid her pregnancy from her parents and secretly gave birth in the basement bathroom of their home on April 14, 2005.
She denied for a week she had anything to do with the dead baby, but on April 28 admitted what happened in a videotaped confession to police.

Trial judge's charge to jury 'flawed'

Appeal court overturns murder conviction of Katrina Effert

The murder conviction of an Alberta woman who admitted to killing her newborn son has now been overturned.
Katrina Effert was found guilty of second-degree murder and received a life sentence with no parole for at least ten years. She admitted to strangling her newborn son hours after giving birth in her parent's home.
In a nine-page document, Alberta's Court of Appeal has found the jury could not have fully understood the evidence of two mental health experts.
Both experts said when a then 19-year-old Effert gave birth in her parents' home in 2005, and subsequently strangled her newborn, "her mind was disturbed."

CTV Edmonton - Appeal court overturns murder conviction of Katrina Effert - CTV News

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This wasn't really an abortion because the woman inflicted a substantial amount of pain on the child. Sure they probably have no significant memory at this point, but the child would still feel pain right up until its death. Also, this wasn't a child that was on life support or in some vegetative state, so it was definitely worth keeping alive at that point.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Compared to an abortion where there is no pain inflicted at all....right?:roll:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Pretty hard to argue that the newborn is not alive at this time.

I always assumed that Canada banned late term abortions. I was shocked we don't. By about the 22nd-24th week one should know whether or not you will be having the baby and should be unable to abort after that.

This woman committed 1st degree murder.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Compared to an abortion where there is no pain inflicted at all....right?:roll:

Before 24 weeks they don't feel any pain. If necessary, an analgesia can be provided.

I should know.

I perform abortions.

I keed! I keeed!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
“The fact that Canada has no abortion laws reflects that ‘while many Canadians undoubtedly view abortion as a less than ideal solution to unprotected sex and unwanted pregnancy, they generally understand, accept and sympathize with the onerous demands pregnancy and childrbirth exact from mothers, especially mothers without support,’ she writes.