Swiss Air 211 - Sabotage or?

Swiss Air -Should the investigation be reexamined?

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Was Swiss Air another Terror Attack, We are quite familiar with how the RCMP cannot perform a proper investigation. The Air India flight is one clear example. Were all leads covered and investigated thoroughly. If not why?

Should the investigation be reexamined?

An investigator looking into the crash of Swissair Flight 111 near Peggys Cove, N.S., says he was prevented by senior RCMP and aviation safety officials from pursuing his theory that an incendiary device might have been the cause.

"There was sufficient grounds to suspect a criminal device on that plane," retired RCMP sergeant Tom Juby, who was an arson investigator assigned to the Swissair file, told CBC's The Fifth Estate.

"I'm convinced that the investigation was improperly done," he said.

The flight from New York to Geneva crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on Sept. 2, 1998, killing 229 passengers and crew. The plane carried a Saudi prince, a relative of the former shah of Iran and high profile UN officials. A half a billion dollars of diamonds and gems were also never found.

The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) of Canada said that it was an accident caused by a fire in the cockpit, likely sparked by an electrical fault.

But Juby said high levels of magnesium — a key ingredient in an incendiary device — were discovered in the cockpit area. Several other investigators and a federal scientist who The Fifth Estate spoke to supported Juby's informed suspicions.

Metallurgist Dr. Jim Brown discovered suspicious levels of magnesium and other elements associated with arson in melted wiring from the section of the plane that suffered the greatest fire damage.

"There was a lot of magnesium. More than I would have expected," he said.

Instead, the TSB was focused on the crash being the result of an accident. Any hint of criminal activity meant it would be forced to drop the probe and turn it over to the RCMP.

Juby said the RCMP did not support his findings and that he was pressured to stop his own inquiries. He said the RCMP brass ordered him to remove any reference to magnesium or a suspected bomb from his investigative notes.

Juby said he has tried but failed to set the record straight inside the RCMP for years. He said the system failed too.

"If Canada can't follow through on 229 potential homicides, then you know, what happens when there's only one?" he said.

The RCMP and the TSB repeatedly refused to comment about Juby's allegations.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/TV_Shows/The_National/1233408557/ID=2130080221

Swissair crash may not have been an accident: ex-RCMP - Canada - CBC News

Watch The Fifth Estate documentary
The Fifth Estate investigates the crash of Swissair Flight 111 and reveals more on the stunning allegations on Friday, Sept. 16, at 9 p.m. on CBC-TV (9:30 p.m. NT). The documentary will be rebroadcast on CBC-TV on Sunday at 11 p.m. (11:30 p.m. NT) and on CBC News Network on Sunday at 7 p.m. ET and Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I heard an interview with the guy who is pushing for re-investigation on R1 this AM. Interesting to say the least.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I heard an interview with the guy who is pushing for re-investigation on R1 this AM. Interesting to say the least.

Yes I am sure it ruffled some feathers to say the least - CBC went and asked questions about this and the claims etc - No firm rebuttal. I am sure fur is flying, emails galore, means a large number of requests under access to Information. Means shxt is going to fly. Oh yes - My fav - Damage control - Now wait and watch them contradict each other.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think there should be a re-investigation.

But I do have a question:

If this was terrorism, why has no one claimed responsibility??

If criminality, to what end?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Who knows - Perhaps 1 person out for vengeance - I really do not know but not all terror attacks have some group step forward and claim they did it and also various terror groups have claimed they were the ones who committed it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
A block of thermite is suspected according to the journalist I was listening to this AM. Very hot, can't put it out.

who what when why, we may never know for sure.

WTF's with the ArseyMP?? Supposed to be servin and protectin.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What was the matter with the old, perished wire insulation cause? Not enough drama?

The RCMP Officer is an expert - He believes that like any investigation people can go down the wrong path. Now coming forward will cost him. He did what was right and I agree fully.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

For sure. Also, and but:::

For all intents - it's over! All we are going to get is rehash, bafflegab, and bullshyte

I have kids who are struggling in this shyty economy. Take the re-investigation money and put it towards all day Kindergarten, daycare, or something else useful.

Help the homeless.

Home the helpless.

Job the jobless

Give some knees to the needy.

whatever.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
For sure. Also, and but:::

For all intents - it's over! All we are going to get is rehash, bafflegab, and bullshyte

I have kids who are struggling in this shyty economy. Take the re-investigation money and put it towards all day Kindergarten, daycare, or something else useful.

Help the homeless.

Home the helpless.

Job the jobless

Give some knees to the needy.

whatever.

They spent 56 million - If they were wrong - then we have to know why - If it was a bomb etc - then the initial changes required by the airlines to those models was or could be in error. So more money was spent. Last and most importantly - If these poor souls were murdered then it beggars the question - Why - Why were all leads not investigated properly - Why? Who knows if this was a bomb what will come to light. If it was a bomb the results may suprise you.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
They spent 56 million - If they were wrong - then we have to know why - If it was a bomb etc - then the initial changes required by the airlines to those models was or could be in error. So more money was spent. Last and most importantly - If these poor souls were murdered then it beggars the question - Why - Why were all leads not investigated properly - Why? Who knows if this was a bomb what will come to light. If it was a bomb the results may suprise you.

You got a point for sure, Goob.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Half a billion worth of missing diamonds is a fair reason.

A block of thermite is suspected according to the journalist I was listening to this AM. Very hot, can't put it out.

who what when why, we may never know for sure.

WTF's with the ArseyMP?? Supposed to be servin and protectin.
They do serve and protect. The question is who and why.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The reason I said no is that even if there was a different conclusion, the Government
would never allow it to become public at this time anyway. All it would do is draw a
panic line for air travellers. And I think there was weakness in the plane design more
than an act of sabotage.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
....Metallurgist Dr. Jim Brown discovered suspicious levels of magnesium and other elements associated with arson in melted wiring from the section of the plane that suffered the greatest fire damage.

"There was a lot of magnesium. More than I would have expected," he said.

Instead, the TSB was focused on the crash being the result of an accident. Any hint of criminal activity meant it would be forced to drop the probe and turn it over to the RCMP.

Juby said the RCMP did not support his findings and that he was pressured to stop his own inquiries. He said the RCMP brass ordered him to remove any reference to magnesium or a suspected bomb from his investigative notes.....
Serious accusations which deserve closer examination...

While most of the cash on board was recovered, ...not a single of the $500 millions in diamonds was ever found, like they were never onboard... Hmm.. One possible diabolical.motivation would be to steal both the diamonds and the insurance money.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Serious accusations which deserve closer examination...

While most of the cash on board was recovered, ...not a single of the $500 millions in diamonds was ever found, like they were never onboard... Hmm.. One possible diabolical.motivation would be to steal both the diamonds and the insurance money.

Swissair Jet Was Holding Museum Gem - NYTimes.com

At least one of the more than 200 diamond-encrusted cultural objects that were displayed at the American Museum of Natural History in New York until the end of last month was aboard the Swissair jet that crashed into the Atlantic near here on Sept. 2.

The museum said today that a piece from its ''Nature of Diamonds'' exhibition was being shipped back to Europe aboard the jet, but said that the lender had insisted that no further information be released.