School teachers continue to receive full pay

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As far as I know teachers are continuing to receive full salary while performing a fraction of their duties? What would happen if when we go to Safeway and pay for a loaf of bread and only receive half a loaf?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Or, do you mean they are doing what they are paid to do, and not doing all the stuff they are expected to 'volunteer' to do?

May be of the mark but these extra duties are part of the contract they agree to as in ratify - Now withdrawing those would make them in violation of their contract. Present and possibly new contract - It is just a tactic.

After the SCOC ruled that Govts cannot impose contracts without first having good faith negotiations, they must make a clear and defined effort to negotiate, then the Govt can impose a contract.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
May be of the mark but these extra duties are part of the contract they agree to as in ratify -

i don't know if they are or not, that's why I asked.

I know that here in NB, the teachers are not contractually obligated to do extra curricular activities, coach sports teams, mark papers or meet with parents in the evenings, etc.

I guess it depends on what servies they are withholding, and what their contract says.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unions. We were discussing unions during lunch at the office today, PSAC specifically.

They didn't come off too well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Or, do you mean they are doing what they are paid to do, and not doing all the stuff they are expected to 'volunteer' to do?

You want volunteers to report to the parents on kids' performance and complete report cards?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Okay, please list for us non-BC residents what the teachers are not doing, that is part of their contracts. Some of us don't live in BC.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wow, the majority of that list is what teachers used to do all the time.

Similar to what's happening here in Ontario JLM.

Must be nice.

Same pay, less work...

Ahhh, the power of unions.

The one about not attending staff meetings has to be the biggest jokes. What employee in what line of work doesn't attend when the boss calls him for a meeting? Perhaps they are all suffering from the "Ed-Palamar syndrome". :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I notice that it's the BC Labour Board that has ruled that they can decide to not do those things.

I also notice that 99% of the things they won't do are things that are not teaching.

So, I guess the complaint now is that teachers are teaching, not sitting in pointless meetings, or counting books?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I notice that it's the BC Labour Board that has ruled that they can decide to not do those things.

I also notice that 99% of the things they won't do are things that are not teaching.

So, I guess the complaint now is that teachers are teaching, not sitting in pointless meetings, or counting books?

The problem is the Labour Board doesn't pay their wages and they didn't consult with those who do. Talk about the "tail wagging the dog"! :smile:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

True but they are all part of a schools culture, are they not? These extra duties are also paid for in the main collective agreement - Same as in NB. Just a dollar value is not attached.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
We should all be happy for them. Union's are saving our economy's butts.
We would all be working for 10$/hours if companies and government had there way.
Then no one could buy anything, next thing you know more people would get layed off cause nothing would be selling,
round and round we would go till our un-employment rate eventually hits 30%, and then we would be where the USA is today.
Dead in the water.

You know how you produce growth?
You put more money in peoples pockets. Thats how.
Then they spend it.

Give everyone in Canada more money and watch our economy grow.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We would all be working for 10$/hours if companies and government had there way.
Then no one could buy anything, next thing you know more people would get layed off cause nothing would be selling,
round and round we would go till our un-employment rate eventually hits 30%, and then we would be where the USA is today.
Dead in the water.

Then they spend it.

Excellent idea
I'm sure you won't mind paying $15 for a burger at rotten ronnies.

The teachers strike in B.C. isn't so much about more raises and less work for already well compensated teachers. Rather it is a proxy fight between the leftards and the Liberal government. The teachers are just the most overpaid and militant of the government unions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Dead in the water.

Then they spend it.

Guess what, Einstein! I can remember when we worked for $1 an hour and were just as well off as we are now.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
My sister Inlaw is a school teacher in BC. She works with underprivileged kids in a pretty rough part of the interior.. Some of those kids don't get a lot to eat at home and their parents aren't exactly model citizens. Some are crack heads, meth heads, or just unequipped to raise children.

This year she raised about $700.00 toward an annual camp weekend they do every year. The garage sale she held was on her own time and out of pocket. My brother Inlaw volunteered this year to teach the kids how to tie flies and tie different kinds of knots. He does this every year and his pal usually helps out.

When I stayed with them out in BC I spent a few hours with her looking over assignments handed in by her students almost every night and it opened my eyes a bit. I like anybody else like to riff on the teachers when a strike comes up, but teachers do a lot of stuff for our kids and that often gets muddied by politics. We bitch about paying them a high wage, but it is not a cake walk.

For what its worth.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Guess what, Einstein! I can remember when we worked for $1 an hour and were just as well off as we are now.

yes. your right!

7% inflation a year = prices double every 10 years.

50$ today is 1$ back then. roughly

So we should go back to working for 1$ a day?

whats your point?