Privatizing Aboriginal Reserves


dumpthemonarchy
#121
So what some people are saying in this forum, is that because Canadians don't care about aboriginals stories, all Canadians are bigots, LMFAO!!!!!!!

Great that someone brings up a mortgage, they have an end date. Duh.
 
CDNBear
+3
#122
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

So what some people are saying in this forum, is that because Canadians don't care about aboriginals stories, all Canadians are bigots, LMFAO!!!!!!!

No one said that. You really should stick to reality.

Quote:

Great that someone brings up a mortgage, they have an end date. Duh.

Because it's written in. Treaties have end dates written into them too.

If you actually had a degree in history, I wouldn't have to keep explaining these obvious things to you.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#123
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

So what some people are saying in this forum, is that because Canadians don't care about aboriginals stories, all Canadians are bigots, LMFAO!!!!!!!

Who said that? I must have missed those posts.

Quote:

Great that someone brings up a mortgage, they have an end date. Duh.

That would depend upon what it says in the mortgage contracts. Besides some people only ever shut a mortgage down when they sell. Others also keep renewing theirs or remortgaging.
Ever heard of a 99 year lease? An uncle of mine had the last one of 2 of those leases in his family. That covers 198 years of him and his predecessor.

DUH
 
dumpthemonarchy
#124
Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid. People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.
 
CDNBear
+1
#125
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid. People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.

You don't know much about how things work.

I'm not surprised.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#126
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid.

Invalid? try not paying your mortgage. You'll soon find out that cancelling the mortgage is not the only thing that debtors do.
Quote:

People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.

yup. And they pay penalties or they go bankrupt to avoid any costs.
Treaties are pretty much the same. They are contracts. They're not all the same either. Each has its own set of clauses of demands and obligations.

BTW, if you go bankrupt, you are pretty much fracked for using anything except cash, because you not only have no credit, you are a credit risk and not a bank or credit union, trust company will touch you.
Canada happens to have a pretty good credit rating and if word got out it ducked out of treaties (contracts), that credit rating would take a beating. Just ask BC's last Dipper gov't.
And if you say so what if our credit rating takes a dive? lol The answer would be that if it did, any interest rates on anything that Canada owes would spike and we'd be paying a LOT more interest than we were. About a third of what we pay now is going to service the interest on the debt. Want Canadians to pay another few % more interest points on the $580 billion we owe now?
Last edited by L Gilbert; Jan 14th, 2012 at 12:52 AM..
 
SLM
+1
#127
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Who said that? I must have missed those posts.

He sees what he wants to see.

Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid. People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.

And what exactly happens to folks who decide not to pay? You make it seem as if they walk away and that's it, that's all, no harm, no foul. That may be how you want it to work, but it is not how things actually do work in the world.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

You don't know much about how things work.

I'm not surprised.

Really Bear? See, I'm constantly finding myself surprised. Just when I think he can't say anything more ridiculous, he goes and suprises me.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#128
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

And what exactly happens to folks who decide not to pay? You make it seem as if they walk away and that's it, that's all, no harm, no foul. That may be how you want it to work, but it is not how things actually do work in the world.
.

I mentioned before, It's not about walking away. This Canadian problem will last many more decades. Many aboriginals grow up in towns where English is their second language, are illiterate, and have few technical skills to gain employment. Take a look at Main and Hastings in Vancouver, it is the poorest postal code in Canada, which has a large number of Indians there on welfare.

It will take, as mentioned above, decades to end the treaty system because most Indians simply cannot join society as productive members under the current system. The current system throws them to the wolves, like Attawaspikat.

The average payout by INAC is $10,000 per person per year, from a $10 billion budget, yearly. Not enought gets to people who need it, and too much goes paper pushers.
 
CDNBear
-1
#129
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

The average payout by INAC is $10,000 per person per year, from a $10 billion budget, yearly.

 
jwmcq625
#130
If Canadian's don't care why are they so upset with the feds how they are inappropriately handling the situation where First Nations People are living in squallor in Norhtern Ontario on just one reserve, and that does not count the other First Nations communities that our federal government want to manage instead of help? Is that why the United Nations has chastized Canada for our treatment of our Indiginous people, and that is nt the first time the UN has taken Canada to task for this abuse, they also took to task the Liberals for doing the exact same things, yet our feds do not seem to get the message.

The feds would live to deed this land to individual First Nations people so that with their lack of education and understanding would be taken advantage of by corporate entities and when they wind up losing their lands to unscrupulous wealthy individuals, the government will just sit back and say, there is nothing we can do as they no longer own the land it was foreclosed by the banks.
 
MHz
#131
Quote: Originally Posted by jwmcq625View Post

If Canadian's don't care why are they so upset with the feds how they are inappropriately handling the situation where First Nations People are living in squallor in Norhtern Ontario on just one reserve, and that does not count the other First Nations communities that our federal government want to manage instead of help? Is that why the United Nations has chastized Canada for our treatment of our Indiginous people, and that is nt the first time the UN has taken Canada to task for this abuse, they also took to task the Liberals for doing the exact same things, yet our feds do not seem to get the message.

The feds would live to deed this land to individual First Nations people so that with their lack of education and understanding would be taken advantage of by corporate entities and when they wind up losing their lands to unscrupulous wealthy individuals, the government will just sit back and say, there is nothing we can do as they no longer own the land it was foreclosed by the banks.

Don't safegards have to be put in place to make sure those same abuses weren't taking place when the Gov was in control of the land? Each area would have to be examined on it's own as the reservations were often chosen because they was the most worthless land in the area (granted lakes do have worth but only limited unless lots of money was poured into the revenue potential they have.
With privatization comes a business license for whatever by all the people that live there and the former owners can supply the education free but no labor, that is via the tribes people or they hire out at the same rate as workers get in the area.

With the privatization could a smoke-house be started up where guests from the communities outside the Rez could be invited in and be given drugs that are associated with Native culture if they were capable of driving when they left. With the special rights they have would that stay or go, for example the smoke-house. Could natives from various South American countries be invited up for aboriginal talks and be allowed to bring their plants that they use in their smoke-houses back home? In the extreme the smoke-houses might prove helpful in treating addictions like crack and speed and tobacco and alcohol and greed in general and that would mean their rates could triple and they would be classified as a treatment center rather than a haven for illegal drug use.
 
CDNBear
#132
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

With the privatization could a smoke-house be started up where guests from the communities outside the Rez could be invited in and be given drugs that are associated with Native culture if they were capable of driving when they left.

What drugs? Which Native culture?
 
captain morgan
+1
#133
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

What drugs? Which Native culture?


C'mon Bear, it's all one culture... Sure, there were numerous individual societies with their own unique distinctions, but why let that complicate things? It's so much easier to just label it under one umbrella
 
CDNBear
+1
#134
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

C'mon Bear, it's all one culture... Sure, there were numerous individual societies with their own unique distinctions, but why let that complicate things? It's so much easier to just label it under one umbrella

Which is why I keep asking these meat heads these types of questions.

With the same results each and every time, (Insert some example of silly diversion, dismissal, or dodge here).
 
captain morgan
#135
I'm especially interested in hearing about the narco-tourism opportunities that were insinuated.
 
CDNBear
+1
#136
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I'm especially interested in hearing about the narco-tourism opportunities that were insinuated.

So am I, but not nearly as interested as I am in hearing what special rights we have, or which Nations consider themselves sovereign, dual citizens, or citizens of Canada.

All questions that have gone unanswered.
 
captain morgan
+1
#137
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

So am I, but not nearly as interested as I am in hearing what special rights we have, or which Nations consider themselves sovereign, dual citizens, or citizens of Canada.

The 'narco' comment goes far in questioning the actual level of knowledge that Canadians (in general) have on these culturally based issues.

Personally, I have little knowledge in this area, but try to recognize that this lack of understanding is an excellent reason not to cast aspersions and generalizations.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

All questions that have gone unanswered.


I hate to be the bearer of ill news, but I wouldn't hold-out on getting any volume of informed opinion on this.
 
SLM
+1
#138
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

C'mon Bear, it's all one culture... Sure, there were numerous individual societies with their own unique distinctions, but why let that complicate things? It's so much easier to just label it under one umbrella

But it's more convenient to argue when everything is under one umbrella. One pill,one solution, that's the world we live in right?

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Which is why I keep asking these meat heads these types of questions.

With the same results each and every time, (Insert some example of silly diversion, dismissal, or dodge here).

At least it has the virtue of not being anti-jew comment. On some level that's progress, right?
 
captain morgan
#139
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

One pill,one solution, that's the world we live in right?

Great observation, it really dove-tails quite well with the narco-tourism opportunity. You know, society engages a pharmacological solution to all that ails ya - this might just be something that catches on.
 
SLM
+1
#140
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Great observation, it really dove-tails quite well with the narco-tourism opportunity. You know, society engages a pharmacological solution to all that ails ya - this might just be something that catches on.

Of course, that's why everyone is so overweight. Everyone's just waiting for the right 'magic pill' to come along.

We could totally make this idea work with narco-tourism, with the right spin, anything can work.
 
captain morgan
+1
#141
... The right drugs may expedite this process much better.
 
JLM
#142
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

But it's more convenient to argue when everything is under one umbrella. One pill,one solution, that's the world we live in right?


The "drugstore mentality" could be part of the reason for the demise of the human race!
 
SLM
+1
#143
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

... The right drugs may expedite this process much better.

To drugs I say: Just say no. To booze I say: BYOB.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

The "drugstore mentality" could be part of the reason for the demise of the human race!

One stop shopping, convenience, convenience, convenience. It's all anybody wants, and it seems to be what everyone expects.
 
ironsides
+1
#144
MHz, People who think like you are the reason the those on the reservations are kept culturally virtual prisoners. No reason they cannot live under Canadian law, and they are not your little children. Give them their ancestral lands where feasible. That means all mineral rights to be used for their betterment. Just tweak what we do in the U.S. to Canadian law. It may not be perfect, but it works.



"Tribal sovereignty in the United States refers to the inherent authority of indigenous tribes to govern themselves within the borders of the United States of America. The federal government recognizes tribal nations as "domestic dependent nations" and has established a number of laws attempting to clarify the relationship between the federal, state, and tribal governments. The Constitution and later federal laws grant local sovereignty to tribal nations, yet do not grant full sovereignty equivalent to foreign nations, hence the term "domestic dependent nations"."



 
JLM
#145
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

To drugs I say: Just say no. To booze I say: BYOB.



One stop shopping, convenience, convenience, convenience. It's all anybody wants, and it seems to be what everyone expects.

Which do you think is the worst addiction? Shopping or drugs?
 
SLM
#146
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Which do you think is the worst addiction? Shopping or drugs?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Anything overdone is not done well.

I'm addicted to neither one. I am currently addicted to the Whirly Word game on my phone though.

I can't stop playing it.

Seriously, I need help.
 
JLM
#147
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Anything overdone is not done well.

I'm addicted to neither one. I am currently addicted to the Whirly Word game on my phone though.

I can't stop playing it.

Seriously, I need help.

How much does that run your phone bill up?
 
MHz
#148
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I'm especially interested in hearing about the narco-tourism opportunities that were insinuated.

If you go to South America you can bet coco leaves as an 'cure' for altitude sickness and I'm quite sure those countries produce a 'soda pop' version that can legally be sold in Europe today. In Canada possession of a leaf or bottle of pop would get you 20 years in prison. As a 'Native ' drink North American Natives should be able to import from South American Natives. I tried to see this idea a year ago, obviously it didn't fly then and I expect the same today. Where I am everybosy wants to head for the mountains on long weekends and it's actually quite crowded. By opening legal drug use houses the Rez would attract the weekend camper type of individual. Granted if the menu is 'full' some would like a spot for the 'whole summer'. I've seen more that one tourism show where the TV host takes drugs when visiting some place be it South America or the South Seas. If you can legally do it that way why not do it the other way around, bring the drug to you and you pay the shipping costs and you don't get to leave with any on you, it has to be ingested at place of purchase. Is that too legal and too much in the open that it would change the war on drugs to be a bunch of clients on drugs? by choice at that, lol isn't that what the 'NWO' wants a docile mass that will follow almost blindly as long as they have a few needs met. One need for a 'happy population' is no boredom even when there is nothing to do. (that doesn't mean lethargic, just happy, happy)
 
SLM
#149
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

How much does that run your phone bill up?

Not one damn bit.
 
MHz
#150
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Which do you think is the worst addiction? Shopping or drugs?

Shopping for drugs used to be the one I wanted to go smoothly more than the other things that were somewhat routine. Which one does that fall under??

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Not one damn bit.

Perhaps the attraction is in getting what you pay for for once rather than any ' brain-challenge'.
 

Similar Threads

29
190
Nationalize Canadian oil reserves!!!!
by Socrates the Greek | Jul 5th, 2008
2
Oil Shale Reserves
by I think not | May 9th, 2006
0
Privatizing the Apocalypse
by darkbeaver | Apr 3rd, 2006
no new posts