16 year old Vernon girl stabbed

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Something is so very twisted around in the heads of teenaers today ... I'm really beginning to wonder how make-believe TV programs have influenced their decisions and perceptions ... or perhaps they're just a generation of angry people that place no value on life - not even their own.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
More stupidity from the terminally stupid.

As if their weren't stupid kids like this in the past. As if there weren't gangs in the past.

As if every new generation of Adults didn't say...."what's wrong with kids today."

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

From August of 1978

My all time favourite Lampoon cover:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Something is so very twisted around in the heads of teenaers today ... I'm really beginning to wonder how make-believe TV programs have influenced their decisions and perceptions ... or perhaps they're just a generation of angry people that place no value on life - not even their own.

I doubt if there is any single cause, but things have definitely deteriorated since it became customary for both parents to be working with no one to keep an eye on things at home, a second cause would have to be the idiot box! :smile:

There is one every 30 minutes in Regina. You'll get used to it as Vernon grows.

Great............we are only 1/4 the size of Regina!

More stupidity from the terminally stupid.

As if their weren't stupid kids like this in the past. As if there weren't gangs in the past.

As if every new generation of Adults didn't say...."what's wrong with kids today."

Not to anywhere near the degree there is today1

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

One of the main problems is that there is no accountability held towards these kids. They know that they will get a slap on the wrist(if anything) if they get caught. Until the justice system gets tougher on them, you will see this happening all the time.

Youth violence has always been around. The difference between now and then is that the suspects are coddled more and are allowed to hide behind a cloak of anonymity due to their age.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
One of the main problems is that there is no accountability held towards these kids. They know that they will get a slap on the wrist(if anything) if they get caught. Until the justice system gets tougher on them, you will see this happening all the time.

Youth violence has always been around. The difference between now and then is that the suspects are coddled more and are allowed to hide behind a cloak of anonymity due to their age.

No, the difference is now you hear about it....every time..... and before you didn't, unless it directly effected you.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the perpetrator is 15 years old, the absolute maximum penalty is 7yrs,
of which only 1/2 of that can be served in closed custody, minus time
on remand (usually counted as at least double time).

Worse case for this 15yr old is that they'd still be out on the street before
they're old enough to legally vote.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No, the difference is now you hear about it....every time..... and before you didn't, unless it directly effected you.

That is true, as the media coverage is more extensive than in times before, but they are coddled nowadays. I'm sorry, but if you are responsible for a violent crime, people deserve to know who you are.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

I think the accountability is a big part of the problem, but I also wonder if some of these people have no life interests, passions and direction for their lives. They seem to have nothing better to do with their time than hang around, act tough and look for trouble.

My son met an acquaintance today and asked him if he recognized the name of the guy that attacked him. My son was told to stay far away from the guy because he hangs with a couple of kick boxers and they have guns ... that's just great, eh. Thugs, 18 - 19 years old, they're in the system, it's known on the street in this city of a million that the guys have guns and like to beat people up ... and it's just a matter of time before someone else is victimized. I really have to wonder how their lives can be so destroyed at such a young age.

The 16 year old that stabbed her friend just ruined her life, and she probably doesn't even realize it yet.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think the accountability is a big part of the problem, but I also wonder if some of these people have no life interests, passions and direction for their lives. They seem to have nothing better to do with their time than hang around, act tough and look for trouble.

My son met an acquaintance today and asked him if he recognized the name of the guy that attacked him. My son was told to stay far away from the guy because he hangs with a couple of kick boxers and they have guns ... that's just great, eh. Thugs, 18 - 19 years old, they're in the system, it's known on the street in this city of a million that the guys have guns and like to beat people up ... and it's just a matter of time before someone else is victimized. I really have to wonder how their lives can be so destroyed at such a young age.

The 16 year old that stabbed her friend just ruined her life, and she probably doesn't even realize it yet.

The thug has always been around. For some of them, it's not that they don't have any life interests, passions, or direction, it's just that their interests are contrary to what most people deem acceptable.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Having raised two daughters, and now raising a son, I had come to the conclusion that it was much easier to raise boys. Girls go through that difficult teenage time where they're all emotional and hormonal, making it difficult to rationalize with them. We worry about our daughters getting tangled with the wrong guy and being victimized because their emotions are in the wrong place ... things like that. I'm now of the opinion that boys are not really any safer, or easier to raise, than girls. The concerns are a little different, but I think they also go through a time period where they can easily be victimized.

I think I have to somewhat agree with Goober (per comments in previous related discussion) that single parents homes are part of the problem. Homes where two parents are always trying to make ends meet and find some sort of personal satisfaction in the ongoing struggle to get ahead is probably another factor. I don't think that single parents raising children is the problem, but moreso the fact that many single parents set a pretty bad example while raising their children. Mothers, especially (because the children are usually with them) are probably failing their children. They are working, managing but not nurturing children and they most likely have a string of relationships before they remarry. Single parents are probably rather unstable while they are looking to fill their own emotional void. That, in itself, provides a very unstable home and value system for the children. I have known many single mothers that can't cope with their sons enery levels, so they turn to ADHD drugs to sedate their children ... whereas the best thing would be for the moms to take their children hiking for a day (or sports ... some healthy outlet). Children of parents that are not divorced can fall into the same abyss, but I suspect it is much more common in families where the parents are divorced at least once.

I suspect that some parents simply give up on their children when the children need them most. It's sometimes difficult to get into the head of a teenager and be able to communicate with them without them hearing something that isn't being said. They can react to what they think they hear rather than what is being said, and that can take a conversation in the wrong direction quickly ... which can lead to a "shutdown" between parent and child. I really wish that parents would set their worries, fears, goals and personal needs aside more often when they have a teenager that is getting so mixed up they turn their anger towards strangers and acquiantances.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quote: Originally Posted by petros

Great............we are only 1/4 the size of Regina!
A quarter? You're off by a loooooong shot.

If the perpetrator is 15 years old, the absolute maximum penalty is 7yrs,
of which only 1/2 of that can be served in closed custody, minus time
on remand (usually counted as at least double time).

Worse case for this 15yr old is that they'd still be out on the street before
they're old enough to legally vote.
Remand is now day for day and no more 3 to 1 and no more 2 for 1 in the pokey. It's all straight time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Quote: Originally Posted by petros

A quarter? You're off by a loooooong shot.

Remand is now day for day and no more 3 to 1 and no more 2 for 1 in the pokey. It's all straight time.

How much? Our population is 55,000.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I have been reading about the case of Robyn Gardner in Aruba. Gary Giordano, the suspect, has a string of assaults against women, but no charges and no convictions because the women were too afraid to testify. Thus, the charges were always dropped. A week ago, I wondered how that could be ... how a woman could have so little faith in the system that they would not see it through when there was a rape, stalking or sexual assault. Two days ago, I was 100% in favour of doing everything possible to track down and prosecute the guys that attacked my son on the weekend. Having learned last night that these guys have handguns, that they like to hurt people, that police are aware of what they do and that they are still on the streets certainly makes me less inclined to get further involved. I think that's another factor in street thugs continuing to victimize people ... victims are afraid of repercussions and would rather have the street thugs forget about them and move on to the next victim than to be part of the solution ... because in doing so - being part of the solution, they set themselves up for further victimization.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Your populaton is 36,000 according to City of Vernon website. City of Vernon, British Columbia

We are creeping up to 250,000 with another 60,000 in the burbs and countryside. We almost went metro last year.

Oh and another 70,000 that bounce back and forth between the city and the rezes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Your populaton is 36,000 according to City of Vernon website. City of Vernon, British Columbia

We are creeping up to 250,000 with another 60,000 in the burbs and countryside. We almost went metro last year.

Oh and another 70,000 that bounce back and forth between the city and the rezes.

You are absolutely right, (within the city limits) but add another 11,000 for Coldstream and another 8,000 for the rural area (within 10 miles of Vernon)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
To be fair - she's from a place called "Vernon". This might be the out she needed.