Stephen Harper second-best and worst PM since 1968

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Stephen Harper second-best and worst PM since 1968

OTTAWA — Stephen Harper has moved up to rank as Canada's second-best prime minister since 1968 — while also dropping to rank as the country's worst, according to results of a poll released Tuesday by Angus Reid Public Opinion.

The poll's findings illustrate Harper's status as a uniquely polarizing figure, with 19 per cent of Canadians surveyed naming him the best head of government in the past five decades, while an equal percentage named him the worst.

Both those numbers rose, as the percentage of people naming him the best leader rose eight points from last year's poll results, while the percentage of those naming him the worst rose one point.

Pierre Trudeau remains the most admired prime minister, named by 36 per cent of respondents as the best. Trudeau has held the top spot since Angus Reid began asking the question in 2007.

Harper jumped past Jean Chretien, at 12 per cent, to take second spot, while simultaneously moving into a tie with Brian Mulroney for the worst.

"The reality is you have these two groups of people who either love Harper or hate him," said Angus Reid vice-president Mario Canseco. "There's a little bit of appreciation for what he's done, but most of that appreciation is coming from the centre-right-minded voter," he said.

Harper's strongest support comes from Alberta and Manitoba/Saskatchewan, with 35 and 31 per cent of respondents from those regions, respectively, naming him the best prime minister.

Twenty-eight per cent of Atlantic Canadians and 24 per cent of Quebecers named Harper the worst prime minister.

Some of Harper's popularity came at the expense of fellow conservative Brian Mulroney, Canseco said. While the percentage of people naming Mulroney the worst prime minster has remained relatively stable, those supporting him as the best prime minster has plummeted from 14 per cent in 2007 to six per cent this year.

The popularity for other long-serving prime ministers has remained relatively stable over time, which Canseco attributes to legacies such as the Bill of Rights and the Constitution left by Trudeau, and the national unity battles fought by Chretien.

"I think the main difficulty for Harper in that sense is there's no clear legacy at this point," Canseco said. "There's no big defining moment for his tenure. "Of course, he's going to have four more years to build one."

The poll of 1,002 Canadians was conducted between Aug. 10 and 11. The margin of error for the poll is estimated to be 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

FACTBOX
Top prime ministers since 1968 as chosen by Canadians.
Pierre Trudeau - 36 per cent
Stephen Harper - 19 per cent
Jean Chretien - 12 per cent
Brian Mulroney - 6 per cent
Paul Martin - 2 per cent
Joe Clark - 2 per cent
Kim Campbell - 1 per cent
John Turner - 1 per cent
Not sure 22 per cent

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How Trudeau ranks first is beyond me.

How Harper managed to get second is equally baffling.

How does the former get lauded for what the latter gets accused of promoting?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Polls :rolleyes:. I think history will see the trio of Mulroney, Chretien, Harper as indistinguishable elements in the same agenda.. the sellout of Canada to Global financial and trading interests.. the debasement of Canadian federalism.. the destruction of fundamental social structures in the interests of political correctness and moral relativism.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It came up on the ticker and thought it was relevant, so I posted.

Whether or not it's good or bad is up for discussion.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

I will behead all those to oppose me... and send the Royal Canadian Navy to invade you...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
How Trudeau ranks first is beyond me.

How Harper managed to get second is equally baffling.

How does the former get lauded for what the latter gets accused of promoting?

Look at the competetion.

Buried - Also it was PM's after 68. 1968 not 1868.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He's definitely up there with Churchill.

KAFF!!!!

You Are Joking!!!!!

TRUDEAU! Up there with CHURCHILL???

The guy that was a fascist supporter in his youth up against the guy that spoke alone against the rise of fascism???

The guy that served his country in combat in three different areas (India, North Africa, France) in three different conflicts against the guy that manipulated his way out of service????

The guy that warned about the "Iron Curtain" against the guy that had a little love affair going going on with the USSR long before he was PM.......

You are comparing a cockroach to a lion.

BTW way, Harper is the BEST Pm we've had since 1968.......and even I find that scary..

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
BTW way, Harper is the BEST Pm we've had since 1968.......and even I find that scary..

I'd say its too soon to judge. Lets wait til he's out of office before giving an actual judgment or start ranking him.

For right now I'd say Chretien for balancing the budget and starting to pay down the debt. The only PM to do so in this time period. Harper may be able to do it, we'll see. Yes, I know he got a lot of help from the GST which Mulroney left him but you can use similar arguments on any PM.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have come to the conclusion that these polls are only conducted east of Manitoba. Anywhere west of there Trudeau would be lucky if he could be voted for bear bait.