4 dead, 40 hurt after stage at Indiana fair 'snaps like a toothpick'

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't look into how many kids inflatable bounce things get blown away with kids in them. There is usaully a couple per week.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Portable stages have grown increasingly top-heavy and become real wind-catchers when they go for backing screens for the video machines. Woodstock's open air stage stood through a wailing storm - even if people got wet.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I get that if the wind really wants to take you, she's gonna take you. But are these winds really so unusually strong or are the safety standards/building codes, whatever it is, just not up to snuff? I'm pretty sure I remember reading just the other day that they were laying charges on that stage collapse in Alberta a few years back.

Either it's happening more frequently or I'm just noticing it more.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I get that if the wind really wants to take you, she's gonna take you. But are these winds really so unusually strong or are the safety standards/building codes, whatever it is, just not up to snuff? I'm pretty sure I remember reading just the other day that they were laying charges on that stage collapse in Alberta a few years back.

Either it's happening more frequently or I'm just noticing it more.

Probably just hearing more about it. News (if that is what you want to call it) tends to sensationalize one topic for a year then move on to the next news trend.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Probably just hearing more about it. News (if that is what you want to call it) tends to sensationalize one topic for a year then move on to the next news trend.

Yes, you're probably right.

The Bluesfest collapse made a blip on my radar to a large degree, I'm sure, because I lived in Ottawa for 18 years. I think we tend to notice things or pay more attention when there's some sort of personal connection. And that didn't occur that long ago so maybe that's why I perceive a frequency to these occurences.