Mother bear kills cub and then itself

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
The Chinese media has reported on an extraordinary account of a mother bear saving her cub from a life of torture by strangling it and then killing itself.

The bears were kept in a farm located in a remote area in the North-West of China. The bears on the farm had their gall bladders milked daily for 'bear bile,' which is used as a remedy in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

It was reported that the bears are kept in tiny cages known as 'crush cages', as the bears have no room to manoeuvre and are literally crushed.

The bile is harvested by making a permanent hole or fistula in the bears' abdomen and gall bladder.

As the hole is never closed, the animals are suspect to various infections and diseases including tumours, cancers and death from peritonitis.

The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

A person who was on the farm in place of a friend witnessed the procedures and told Reminbao.com that they were inhumane.

The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile.

The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side.

Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it.

It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

Many TCM practitioners have denounced the use of bear bile in their treatment as there are cheaper herbs and synthetics that can be used in its place.

Bear bile is traditionally used to remove 'heat' from the body as well as treat high fever, liver ailments and sore eyes

Mother bear kills cub and then itself

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Man it pisses me off when I hear about that kind of cruelty. >(

I suppose it's far too much to hope that anyone will have learned anything from this incident.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I suppose it's far too much to hope that anyone will have learned anything from this incident.
Yep, far too much to hope for.

These backwards people haven't the capability of forward thought. I liken this to the stupidity that is Muslim FGM. Only the pain just keeps going on and on and on...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, far too much to hope for.

These backwards people haven't the capability of forward thought. I liken this to the stupidity that is Muslim FGM.

You know, I am not a violent person but **** like this just makes me want to slap the face off them.

Grrr.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The Chinese have long been involved in despicable practices with wildlife. Canada has a hard time condemning the pricks because we still have this ridiculous seal hunt. A little more brain power in Ottawa would make it possible to put us in a position to take the Chinese to task. It would also help if the US wasn't so irresponsible. Why is it so heavily in debt to the Chinese? How do you criticize your financial masters?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Chinese have long been involved in despicable practices with wildlife. Canada has a hard time condemning the pricks because we still have this ridiculous seal hunt.
There's nothing ridiculous about the seal hunt.

And there si a world of difference between the seal hunt and what these animals have been doing to bears.

It would also help if the US wasn't so irresponsible. Why is it so heavily in debt to the Chinese? How do you criticize your financial masters?
LMAO!!! Nice, how to turn a thread into another stupidity filled anti American crap fest in one simple post.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The seal hunt is a monstrosity and major embarrassment to Canada. It raises chump change for the Newfoundlanders engaged in it. No more than five million dollars. Laughable. And now we have to sit on our haunches as the Chinese commit these atrocities and the Japanese continue to whale because we'll always be the kettle calling the pot black. That's a stupid position to be in. And the US? It's a big factor here. If you can't see that, I don't care. When you tie American hands, don't expect them to deal effectively with those who secured the knots.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The seal hunt is a monstrosity and major embarrassment to Canada.
Only to the mindless.

It raises chump change for the Newfoundlanders engaged in it.
They seem to have a different opinion.
No more than five million dollars. Laughable.
Wrong or not, I certainly wouldn't turn down a chunk of that.
That's a stupid position to be in.
Only if you're in it. Which of course we really aren't. Because only a moron would equate the three.

And the US? It's a big factor here. If you can't see that, I don't care. When you tie American hands, don't expect them to deal effectively with those who secured the knots.
I have no doubt you don't care. Most people void of facts and running on emotion alone, don't.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Gee, thanks for that. Do you have anything of substance to say? The seal hunt has been condemned world-wide and is a major irritant to Canadian trade relations with Europe. And that's what Europe should be doing. Giving us a sharp elbow. If we weren't involved in this cruel, despicable practice, we might have a platform to denounce cruelties elsewhere. Well, genius, throw me a bone.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Gee, thanks for that. Do you have anything of substance to say?
I was waiting for you to start. Your emotion and imagination filled posts, don't leave much to work with.

The seal hunt has been condemned world-wide and is a major irritant to Canadian trade relations with Europe.
Appeal to majority is a sad and pathetic fallacy.

And that's what Europe should be doing.
Ya, there's a group of people that should be giving moral and ethics lessons.

If we weren't involved in this cruel, despicable practice, we might have a platform to denounce cruelties elsewhere.
So you keep erroneously saying.
Well, genius, throw me a bone.
Why? Your posts indicate that you wouldn't know what to do with it.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You don't say anything in your posts. You think a few twerpy rhetorical flourishes can carry an argument and that's what you use. Grade ten debate tactics. You sound like some dumbass who's served in the military, couldn't find a life after and is convinced being here on a Friday night will make do while he's waiting for hunting season to start. How am I doing?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You don't say anything in your posts.
What's to say? That your 5mil figure is off by 11mil? Since that is the only none emotional thing you've put into your silly posts.

You think a few twerpy rhetorical flourishes can carry an argument and that's what you use.
Well since you were posting emotion, and BS. I really didn't see the necessity in actually applying any effort.

Grade ten debate tactics.
I agree, you should work on that.

You sound like some dumbass who's served in the military, couldn't find a life after and is convinced being here on a Friday night will make do while he's waiting for hunting season to start.
Like a lurker with a secondary account, and less of a life than she claims I don't have, lol. But I'm sure you won't see it that way.

How am I doing?
Pathetically. Why do you ask?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Milked for Bear Bile. Chinese remedy?

WTF is the matter with those people?

Disclaimer: The term those people is not meant to apply to all Chinese people, but those backwards enough to treat an animal so cruel in order to get some idiotic snake oil treatment.

2nd Disclaimer: The first disclaimer is to avoid giving those people who have in the past used this reference as leverage to further their idiotic accusations of racism because they are too stupid to have a logical discussion.

3rd Disclaimer: The 2nd disclaimer is not a slight against all CC members, but only those people.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm a he, you imbecile. I think I've nailed your life perfectly. And since you make so little effort to contest what I've said, it must be a bingo. Back to the issue: I think most Canadians are pissed that so little can be done about Chinese involvement in endangered species trade and exploitation and unsavoury market practices as this main article discusses. I think they should also know that the Chinese can be placed under pressure but you have to play the game smart. For Canadians that means ending the seal hunt, that practice that the world most insists we stop. If we can do that, we can use our own actions as leverage against the Chinese.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Disclaimer: The term those people is not meant to apply to all Chinese people, but those backwards enough to treat an animal so cruel in order to get some idiotic snake oil treatment.

2nd Disclaimer: The first disclaimer is to avoid giving those people who have in the past used this reference as leverage to further their idiotic accusations of racism because they are too stupid to have a logical discussion.

3rd Disclaimer: The 2nd disclaimer is not a slight against all CC members, but only those people.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm a he, you imbecile. I think I've nailed your life perfectly. And since you make so little effort to contest what I've said, it must be a bingo. Back to the issue: I think most Canadians are pissed that so little can be done about Chinese involvement in endangered species trade and exploitation and unsavoury market practices as this main article discusses. I think they should also know that the Chinese can be placed under pressure but you have to play the game smart. For Canadians that means ending the seal hunt, that practice that the world most insists we stop. If we can do that, we can use our own actions as leverage against the Chinese.

Oh Gawd another whiner about ending the seal hunt. I would get into the rhetoric with you little Missy, but I am so tired schooling little girls who still think Canada clubs pretty little white seal pups over the head.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Another retired Canadian soldier with a chip on his shoulder. Whoopee ****in' doo. I think you got a little too close to one of those shells during training. You've got powder in your tiny sprig of a head.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm a he, you imbecile.
Yes, that was imediately recognizable by the posts filled emotional outbursts.

And given the level emotion and hurt expressed in your posts, I'm still leaning to the fact that you are a women. Either that, or a very effeminate male.

I think I've nailed your life perfectly.
I bet you do. But given what your posts pass off as thought. There's more than just a chance you'd be wrong.

And since you make so little effort to contest what I've said, it must be a bingo.
What's to contest. I once served in the Army. I'm bored and awake, on a Friday night, and I can't wait for hunting season to start.

It's hardly an accurate cross section of my life. (Unless of course you have no real argument or substance to replace the emotion in your posts.) Nor is it a state secret either.

But I bet it must feel like a monumental achievement to you, to have glued so much obvious and easily attainable intel together.

Back to the issue: I think most Canadians are pissed that so little can be done about Chinese involvement in endangered species trade and exploitation and unsavoury market practices as this main article discusses.
What's Canada going to do, whether we hunt seals or not?

Bomb China?

I think they should also know that the Chinese can be placed under pressure but you have to play the game smart.
Given the content of your posts, that would exclude you.

For Canadians that means ending the seal hunt, that practice that the world most insists we stop.
So you keep saying. Even though you haven't offered a single reason as to why. Other than emotion of course.

If we can do that, we can use our own actions as leverage against the Chinese.
I'd ask you if you actually think that's feasible. But given the lack of critical thought contained in your posts. I'm positive fantasy and wishful thinking is something you place great stock in.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Another retired Canadian soldier with a chip on his shoulder. Whoopee ****in' doo. I think you got a little too close to one of those shells during training. You've got powder in your tiny sprig of a head.

Oh my gosh, I don't know if I can post anymore. I was insulted by a girl. :lol: