$80M fund for Ontario electric car charging stations

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

$80M fund for Ontario electric car charging stations

Premier Dalton McGuinty announced an $80 million fund to help spur the development and investment in electric car charging stations.

The announcement was made in Markham, Ont., where the Liberal leader charged an electric car at the PowerStream electrical utility operations centre.

Ontario, together with Infrastructure Ontario, is accepting requests for proposals to build, test and expand the availability of recharging facilities. The province will provide seed money to the winning projects.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I can't imagine this plan ever being implemented seeing as McGuinty will be getting a pink slip shortly.

How many electric cars are available for purchase in Ontario anyways?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I can't imagine this plan ever being implemented seeing as McGuinty will be getting a pink slip shortly.

Not a clue, but right now they're selling at a pretty 'fringe' price, I would say. When you factor in the rebates exclusive to the province, it's around $32,000.00, I think.

Implementing charge stations would drive up the demand as it begins to extend a vehicle's travel distance.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Not a clue, but right now they're selling at a pretty 'fringe' price, I would say. When you factor in the rebates exclusive to the province, it's around $32,000.00, I think.

Implementing charge stations would drive up the demand as it begins to extend a vehicle's travel distance.

Why doesn't the government just give tax breaks to gas station owners and let them install them? They have the monopoly on good locations near highways...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Maybe it is a case of 'if they build them the cars will come.' Funny, I was watching a commercial for electric cars last night and my first thought was, 'that's a great idea but where are you going to re-charge them.' I'm sure many people who would contemplate buying such a vehicle would do so only after knowing there were reliable and plentiful outlets for re-charging. Just a thought.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have an electric car charging station. It's called an extension cord.

If electric cars can't be charged at home with an extension cord I'm buying a horse with digestion problems to ride around the city.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
When I travel with my diesel truck pulling a trailer...because I have a short box...my tank is smaller so I have to plan my route carefully or if I go somewhere I've never been before, I carry an emergency gerry can just in case.
I wouldn't trust having to look for a plugin
Also...how long does it take for a full recharge????

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If electric cars can't be charged at home with an extension cord I'm buying a horse with digestion problems to ride around the city.

I like your innovation. You always come up with the most interesting methods for public protest.

When I travel with my diesel truck pulling a trailer...because I have a short box...my tank is smaller so I have to plan my route carefully or if I go somewhere I've never been before, I carry an emergency gerry can just in case.
I wouldn't trust having to look for a plugin
Also...how long does it take for a full recharge????

I wonder, with the way hydro is skyrocketing, at what point does gas become the cheaper alternative?

That is if we don't charge our electric cars during the hours of 9pm to 6 am.

Kidding. Sort of.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The gov't shouldn't have been in the business of building gas stations.

They shouldn't be in the business of building hydro stations.

The cost of hydro in this province. The hydro companies should be building their own stations, and investing in their own infrastructure.

Not the province. Because we all know who will profit the most from the wasting of this 80 million of the taxpayers money.

It won't be us or the environment.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
McSquinty is just going after the green vote.....started with the solar farms..... now the electric cars ....next will come cars with solar panels that you only drive during the day if we re-elect him:lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like your innovation. You always come up with the most interesting methods for public protest.

I wonder, with the way hydro is skyrocketing, at what point does gas become the cheaper alternative?

That is if we don't charge our electric cars during the hours of 9pm to 6 am.

Kidding. Sort of.
I was told varying power rates was a conspiracy theory when I first mentioned it. Looks like that one came true too. Go figure.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Why doesn't the government just give tax breaks to gas station owners and let them install them? They have the monopoly on good locations near highways...

It takes up to 10 hours depending on the conditions to charge the battery. A gas station wouldn't work very well as a parking lot. A parking lot, makes for a perfect charging station though.

The Volt comes with a 120V 20 foot charging cord, but you need to have something to plug it into. Apparently when it's plugged in, you can use a smart phone to control the charge.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It takes up to 10 hours depending on the conditions to charge the battery. A gas station wouldn't work very well as a parking lot. A parking lot, makes for a perfect charging station though.

The Volt comes with a 120V 20 foot charging cord, but you need to have something to plug it into. Apparently when it's plugged in, you can use a smart phone to control the charge.
But can you plug it into an extension cord?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The gov't shouldn't have been in the business of building gas stations.

They shouldn't be in the business of building hydro stations.

The cost of hydro in this province. The hydro companies should be building their own stations, and investing in their own infrastructure.

Not the province. Because we all know who will profit the most from the wasting of this 80 million of the taxpayers money.

It won't be us or the environment.

The government shouldn't be in the business of busines period.

To use the vernacular of my daughter, they suck at it.

Nothing is more wasteful than government bureaucracy.

Just my two cents.
I was told varying power rates was a conspiracy theory when I first enntioned it. Looks like that one came true too. Go figure.

Hmmm. If anything should ever just "come to you" re: the 649, PM me okay.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
But can you plug it into an extension cord?

Yes, but they don't recommend it. If someone must use an extension cord due to distance, they recommend GFCI outlets, which any outside outlet should be anyways, and 12 or 14 guage 3 prong cord with an outdoor rating. Though, the car and cord are smart technology. If you're 500 feet from a 120V outlet, the voltage drop alone would probably mean that the car won't charge.