Freeze all Syrian assets - PUBLICLY Prod the ICC to action

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It is the middle class that is undecided as to support or not the present uprising. Freezing assets of all Syrian Nationals including those with dual citizenship should be acted upon by the Cdn Govt.

The Canadian Govt to promote this for all NATO countries along with publicly prodding the ICC into justifiable investigations of Crimes against Humanity.

When the economy which is crumbling fall under International freezing of all assets,the change in Govt will be hastened. That is the least we can do.

Next why is the crazy Colonel on the end of charges from the ICC and Assad and others are not?

BBC News - Syria: Region steps up pressure on Assad regime

Syria's neighbours are increasing diplomatic pressure on the country as the regime continues a violent crackdown on anti-government protests.

Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain have all recalled their ambassadors while Jordan has called for dialogue.

Saudi King Abdullah has called on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to urgently implement real reforms.

Government tanks have been pounding the eastern city of Deir al-Zour for a second day.

At least 50 people died on Sunday after the army launched a pre-dawn assault.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Why all of a sudden is the West insisting on intervening in Syria? Dozens of ohter countries have worse human rights records yet nobody has lifted a finger before. Why do this now??

I'm all for punishing abusive regimes. But, as always, I want a uniform application of rules. Don't start with Syria - do this to all abusers and end it with Syria.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why all of a sudden is the West insisting on intervening in Syria? Dozens of ohter countries have worse human rights records yet nobody has lifted a finger before. Why do this now??

I'm all for punishing abusive regimes. But, as always, I want a uniform application of rules. Don't start with Syria - do this to all abusers and end it with Syria.

You have to start some place and in Syria there is momentum for change -

Lastly - Who would be the few 3 or 4 and who would be the 2nd last country in your opinion?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We internvened in Libya because it seemed the rebels might win and be less authoritarian. The rebels had people on the ground willing to fight and die in Libya, the people there wanted it and had the means to implement a better system if they win. Like Syria, if they succeed, they will still be a long way from democracy, but better than before.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Go by the UN list of nations with the most human rights violations.

Now you can't even answer - sending me off on a wild goose chase - Which rights are you referring to - The UN has so many lists that the list of many lists is not even up to date.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Now you can't even answer - sending me off on a wild goose chase - Which rights are you referring to - The UN has so many lists that the list of many lists is not even up to date.
Again another example of how useless the UN is.
I wonder how many is the critical number for these bozos- 1000, 2000, how may have to be tortured or disappeared. What is the critical number.

BBC News - Syria unrest: World leaders call for Assad to step down

Meanwhile, UN investigators say the use of violence in Syria "may amount to crimes against humanity".

In a report to the UN Human Rights Council, the investigators said the UN Security Council should refer the issue to the International Criminal Court.