Next NDP Candidate in Pitt Meadows Won't Be A White Man

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Says here that when an incumbant resigns from a seat in the provincial NDP, the new candidate replacing the old one cannot be a white man. Under the party’s equity rules, when a nomination takes place in an NDP riding, the candidates have to be either a women, members of an ethnic group, or gay, bisexual, lesbian or transgendered.

This is discrimination. And if the NDP isn't sure why they might lose the next election, this could be a reason. Human rights commissions are as usual, silent here. There were signs in the old days that said no blacks or Irish allowed into certain places. Now it's white men. This is bad multiculturalism.

BCLocalNews.com - Next NDP candidate in Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows won

Next NDP candidate in Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows won’t be a straight, white man

By Phil Melnychuk - Maple Ridge News

Published: August 04, 2011 3:00 PM
Updated: August 05, 2011 11:35 AM

The hunt is on for someone to replace Michael Sather and hold onto the Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows riding for the NDP in the next provincial election.

But whoever’s chosen – it won’t be a white man.

Under the party’s equity rules, when a nomination takes place in an NDP riding, the candidates have to be either a women, members of an ethnic group, or gay, bisexual, lesbian or transgendered.

Long-time NDPer Coun. Craig Speirs, who ran in the last federal election, isn’t any of the above.

“I don’t fit any of those profiles,” he said Wednesday.

“Only when an incumbent gives up their seat, those rules apply.”

Instead, Speirs will run for a fifth term on Maple Ridge council.

Sather, an NDP Member of the Legislative Assembly since 2005, announced last week that he wouldn’t run in the next election.

Speirs is the local riding president and will help in the search for a new candidate and hopes to have a few lined up for the fall in case an election is called.

Elizabeth Rosenau will be one of those seeking the NDP nod after trying for the federal nomination, losing to Speirs, this past spring.

She decided to run for election after police shot and arrested her daughter during a peaceful protest outside the G-20 meeting last summer in Toronto.

“I believe this is a highly winnable riding for the NDP.”

She’s talked to former NDP cabinet ministers and MLAs and says, “They really feel I have the stuff.”

While she lives in the Maple Ridge-Mission riding, Rosenau is about to transfer her membership to Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows. The boundary is roughly 224th Street.

She wants other NDP members to challenge for the nomination. “As far as I’m concerned, the more the merrier.”

Rosenau could end up campaigning against Maple Ridge Coun. Michael Morden, if he tries for the Liberal nomination and wins.

But he hasn’t made a final decision.

“I do want to run provincially at some point. That’s where I would like to go. If the timing is right, I will do it.”

He’s also running in the November municipal election for a second term on Maple Ridge council. If he wins that, then runs in the B.C. election and wins, he’ll resign his municipal seat and pay the $15,000 or so it would cost the district to hold a byelection to fill the council vacancy.

Pitt Meadows Liberal Sandy Wakeling, now executive-assistant to Health Minister Mike de Jong, said he has no idea when a provincial election will be called.

But he said Premier Christy Clark consistently out polls NDP boss Adrian Dix.

And there’s lots of interest in the riding.

“People think that Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows is a winnable riding for the B.C. Liberal party and I think it’s certainly going to be a priority for us to try to win back.”

Pitt Meadows Coun. John Becker won’t be part of the Liberal race. He’s president of the constituency association and says he’s focusing on the mayor’s race and that serving as MLA would be more difficult to coordinate with his legal practice.

“The mayor’s race is all consuming at the present time. That’s just not on my radar screen at all.

“If I was going to run for MLA, I would not run for council.”

However, his wife Terry Becker is leaning towards running. “But nothing official.”

Pitt Meadows Mayor Don MacLean has ruled out provincial politics after 21 years on municipal council. Not even thinking about it.

“Not at all,” he said.

After council’s term ends in October, MacLean leaves political life.

“Let’s say forever.

“I’ve been asked that [running provincially] … during my term on council and have consistently said no.”

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
With the dippers PC trumps democracy every time.
This is one of the reason the dippers will never get to form a government . Far more interested in social engineering than good government.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Is there a test to prove some is gay or lesbian? You need other people to say what you are, to identify you.

What if you said you felt gay or lesbian, that wouldn't likely do of course as the gay or lesbian community would have to weigh in on the issue and make a decision. They would demand evidence, evidence of physical activity to prove you were gay or lesbian. It does keep politics in an in-group, more exclusive than inclusive.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
PCism at its worst. Some institutions are late to realize events have passed them by. If it takes dunking some to let others rise, you've lost the understanding of being progressive. But some people still have grudges.

These sort of policies apply to all sorts of government jobs as well.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
These sort of policies apply to all sorts of government jobs as well.

Sure, there's plenty of corruption in govt hiring practices. But sometimes it is okay. for some work you want local people or you have ten men/women or old/young and some balance is needed. You want different people because different people see problems differently. Managers have their preferences too. But it needs to be kept to a minimum.

I remember being told that the janitorial staff at Surrey hospitals, when it was union, only hired East Indians, no other groups. Nothing was done, no one cared, and then Campbell got rid of the union about ten years ago. Killed the patient when only a finger needed to be amputated.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
"Sometimes you need to force diversity"? Canadians never got to vote on the massive immigration changes made in the 1990s.

From a person from the Philipines, a country that murders journalists on a regular basis? I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his country needs a great deal of work .Which is why so many Filipinos come to Canada. Why is Canada taking advice from a citizen of a country very few non-Filipinos would ever decide to live there?

“Some people consider affirmative action and quotas as racist,” says Jason Maghanoy, a Filipino-Canadian playwright in Toronto, “but sometimes you need to force diversity.”

Political correctness gone mad? - Canada - Macleans.ca

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Perhaps this situation could be solved if only aboriginal people were to allowed to work and make policy for Immigration Canada.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now the Flips rewrote our immigration laws? First it was Muzzies now Philipinos? Did you find a job yet or are you still sucking the welfare teat??