Aussie police shut Greenpeace HQ, seize evidence

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Aussie police shut Greenpeace HQ, seize evidence - CTV News

SYDNEY — Australian police shut down the Sydney offices of environmental group Greenpeace on Thursday after its activists destroyed a genetically modified wheat crop at an experimental farm run by the government.

Police in Canberra, the Australian capital and the site of the experimental farm, said "an amount of property was seized as evidence" during the Sydney raid and it will undergo forensic analysis. No arrests were made.

Greenpeace activists, wearing mock hazard suits, scaled the fences of the experimental farm last Thursday and destroyed a crop of genetically modified wheat with brush cutters. The wheat has been altered to lower its glycemic index in an attempt to see if the grain could have health benefits such as improving blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol.

Greenpeace says it took the drastic action because of concerns over health, cross-contamination and the secrecy surrounding experiments at the farm, which were to include the first human trials of the crop.

The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Australia's national science agency, says the experimental crop did not introduce any new genes to the plants and was safe for humans. It says it had already fed the genetically modified wheat to rats and pigs.

Greenpeace's head of campaigns, Steve Campbell, said the organization is "assisting the police with their inquires." However, Greenpeace will continue its campaign to put the spotlight on genetically modified wheat in Australia, he said.

"It's a really important issue for Australia, for our environment, for our future," Campbell said.

--------------------------------------------------------

Friggin morons.... it's about time someone started doing something about these criminals who think whatever they do is above the law and answer to no one.

I also hope they find a few people to arrest over the matter and jail their sorry arses.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Genetically modified food is old news. It's done with fruit so often I hardly remember what's real and what's a hybrid. Is there any information about the downside of this particular wheat ... presumably the rats and pigs are still thriving?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Genetically modified food is old news. It's done with fruit so often I hardly remember what's real and what's a hybrid. Is there any information about the downside of this particular wheat ... presumably the rats and pigs are still thriving?
What is the criteria for "safe"? It used to be that if 5 of ten fish survived in pulp mill effluent after one hour, then it was safe to dump in the river or lake. How many rats or pigs are allowed to die before the wheat is considered unsafe?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Good question. From the article: "The wheat has been altered to lower its glycemic index in an attempt to see if the grain could have health benefits such as improving blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol. "

Presumably, a lower glycemic index did not harm the rats and pigs, but it would be interesting to know if they were slimmer, or had lower blood pressure. I guess the wheat field will have to be reseeded to continue with the testing.

The birth control pill was tested on humans in South America ... any thoughts on what population demographic should be used as guinea pigs for the new wheat? I wonder how many generations and years have to pass before there are results to be measured. For example, horse estrogen pills were given to menopausal women until ... oops ... it caused heart attacks ... like who wouldn't guess that pumping women full of horse estrogen would be a problem! If I had a choice, I would rather eat bread made from wheat with a lower glycemic index than horse estrogen ... but no one is complaining about the horse hormones, only modified wheat. Something seems wrong with this picture.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Good question. From the article: "The wheat has been altered to lower its glycemic index in an attempt to see if the grain could have health benefits such as improving blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol. "

Presumably, a lower glycemic index did not harm the rats and pigs, but it would be interesting to know if they were slimmer, or had lower blood pressure. I guess the wheat field will have to be reseeded to continue with the testing.

The birth control pill was tested on humans in South America ... any thoughts on what population demographic should be used as guinea pigs for the new wheat? I wonder how many generations and years have to pass before there are results to be measured. For example, horse estrogen pills were given to menopausal women until ... oops ... it caused heart attacks ... like who wouldn't guess that pumping women full of horse estrogen would be a problem! If I had a choice, I would rather eat bread made from wheat with a lower glycemic index than horse estrogen ... but no one is complaining about the horse hormones, only modified wheat. Something seems wrong with this picture.
That is silly. The estrogen pills were dealth with years ago. And with all the GM Franken foods coming out all the time, it is hard to keep track. If Greenpeace got this one wrong, Oh Well!. Better luck next time. Someone has to stop these dickheads like Monsanto. This story kinda pales in comparison to the Libyan bombings. Bunch a ado about nothing.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That is silly. The estrogen pills were dealth with years ago. And with all the GM Franken foods coming out all the time, it is hard to keep track. If Greenpeace got this one wrong, Oh Well!. Better luck next time. Someone has to stop these dickheads like Monsanto. This story kinda pales in comparison to the Libyan bombings. Bunch a ado about nothing.

The announcement that horse estrogen, although widely prescribed to women, caused serious health problems does not mean it was no longer prescribed. Instead, it is still prescribed to women but they are warned about the health risks and are free to make the choice. Many women choose to try it and then continue taking it because it helps their sex lives.

Isn't it easy enough to just not buy foods that have unrecognizable ingredients and other mutations? As for the story, imagine having your entire crop wiped out by a bunch of crazies with machetes ... or whatever it is they used to cut the field.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
All one needs to do is publically provide the evidence of what you're concerned about and bring it to the public's attention in order to make change..... not pull stupid-ass stunts like these and act like you're doing something constructive.

If the public isn't paying attention to your concerns or actions and demanding change, then obviously you either didn't present a good argument or you're just full of sh*t.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All one needs to do is publically provide the evidence of what you're concerned about and bring it to the public's attention in order to make change..... not pull stupid-ass stunts like these and act like you're doing something constructive.

If the public isn't paying attention to your concerns or actions and demanding change, then obviously you either didn't present a good argument or you're just full of sh*t.
That is a little simplistic. And even if you got public support for your cause doesn't mean that the project doesn't go ahead anyway. Just look at war: it is still happening in spite of overwhelming opposition, whales are still hunted and there is still deep sea oil drilling. Sometimes actions need to be taken, not for PR, but because the offending parties need a kick in the balls. Who knows how long this issue has been beat to death before drastic action was taken?

Not everybody has the balls to go to jail for their convictions. I moved to the Kootenays because people stand on the roads and are willing to go to jail to protect their water, their properties and their lives from greedy corps that would put peoples lives at risk for a few bucks. I have stood on the roads and watched friends go to jail. I have challenged the police to look at what they are doing and who they are doing it for. I've been in their face and they backed down. I have had at least three police walk away from the situation because they saw themselves in the mirror I held up for them.

Corporations and governments are different animals all together. They are heartless and soulless entities. Dealing with them requires different tactics.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If there is a sound principle backed by concrete documentary evidence, then sometimes these sort measures are justified. We'll have to see how this one pans out.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

GMO and Hybrid are two different things. Don't confuse them . GMOs are bad news unless you are a Monsanto shareholder. Or perhaps a doctor since GMOs will cause lots of sick people.

Much as I dislike Green peace and am against these kind of actions I do agree with their basic premise that GMOs are bad. That is a fact that all the spin Monsanto can buy will not change. But fools that they are they shoot themselves in the foot(mouth?) with stupid stunts like this.