Indian child shot on reserve

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I agree it is a shame that children are being shot in Canada, but aboriginal society has run into a dead end. This death is pointless and there will be more. In 2008 another child was shot and it appears no charges were laid. Could be because it appears the whole band is a part of gang as the article states.

Canada's shame

Canada's shame

Death of five-year-old at Hobbema must not be in vain

Calgary Herald July 13, 2011

For a time, it appeared the Samson First Nation at Hobbema was on the mend. In 2005, the scene in the community of 12,000 was like the Alberta version of warring Mexican drug cartels. Thirteen rival gangs were at each other's throats to control the trade in crack cocaine. The town, 80 kilometres south of Edmonton, was averaging four or five driveby shootings a night, according to the RCMP, despite its presence of 42 police officers. With intense national media attention on gang-related violence, the RCMP added 10 more members to quell the violence, which dropped the following year before edging up slightly in 2007.

Then, in 2008, Hobbema was stunned by the non-fatal shooting of a 23-month-old toddler, Asia Saddleback, who was hit by a bullet in the abdomen while she sat at her grandfather's kitchen table eating soup. The incident motivated Jonathan Blaine-Nepoose, a father of three, to forsake his membership in the gang Redd Alert and urge others to do the same. At the same meeting, an expert said Hobbema had the highest concentration of gang members per capita in the country.

The quiet in Hobbema held until last Christmas Eve, when Preston Thom, 15, was shot dead on the street as he and his little brother stood outside their home. Now, the killing of the five-year-old grandson of reserve Chief Marvin Yellowbird by a stray bullet on Monday while he slept has again focused attention on Hobbema.

Tuesday, Assembly of First Nations Chief Shawn Atleo offered his condolences and reiterated the urgency of his plan to scrap the Indian Act and the federal department of Aboriginal Affairs and replace them with a new First Nations-Crown agreement. He called on all First Nations to work together to build healthier, stronger and safer communities, conceding the task will not be easy.

Clearly, things must change. Dysfunction and poverty on First Nations reserves have been Canada's greatest failures. The federal auditor general's report in June noted that "conditions on too many reserves are poor and have not improved significantly." The report noted that over the past decade, key indicators of wellness such as housing, education and water quality have actually gotten worse.
The federal government and the Assembly of First Nations say they are making progress on governance, education and economic development. The Harper government is firm that the era of issuing blank cheques without clear accountability will end. Forward-thinking First Nations leaders agree that fundamental changes must come about.

Regardless of what may evolve for the operations of reserves, the auditor general's report says it cannot be dictated by Ottawa, but must be led by First Nations.

Perhaps the death of a little boy sleeping innocently in his bed may finally help bring an end to Canada's shame

---------------------------------------------

This thread below states the Samson band has control of $350 million of revenue. They are rich. Can't blame Ottawa, Canadians, bad water, or poverty here. Funny, in their traditional lifestyle and original treaty with the crown, I bet no one had no idea or discussion regarding hydrocarbons in the 18th or 19th century, did anyone check? Treaties are a joke. Treaties give poor, uneducated country people much more power than they deserve or can handle. Pardon me while I yawn with the rest of Canadians.

Hobbema-area bands lose Supreme Court case

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Such a senseless tragedy. I hope it wakes at least one person up, if not a whole community of gangs. I can't even fathom my child being shot in the percieved safety of my own home.

This thread below states the Samson band has control of $350 million of revenue. They are rich. Can't blame Ottawa, Canadians, bad water, or poverty here. Funny, in their traditional lifestyle and original treaty with the crown, I bet no one had no idea or discussion regarding hydrocarbons in the 18th or 19th century, did anyone check? Treaties are a joke. Treaties give poor, uneducated country people much more power than they deserve or can handle. Pardon me while I yawn with the rest of Canadians.

Hobbema-area bands lose Supreme Court case

The issues on reserves are issues of living segregated, plain and simple. Any community of people who hold themselves to be 'outside' of the rest of society, will suffer these sorts of issues. Taking away their treaties isn't the answer. Finding a way for them to integrate into society, move off the reserves, without losing what they are entitled to, is the only way to create change.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Integration, but keep the treaties that give them extra rights. I'll mark you down as totally confused, and may be on the payroll.

It seems to be, if you live in Canada and you don't want to be a Canadian, then Canadians aren't sure what to do with you. The rules are too complex for anyone to comprehend. Hands are wrung over dead children, then a collective yawn.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Integration, but keep the treaties that give them extra rights. I'll mark you down as totally confused, and may be on the payroll.

It seems to be, if you live in Canada and you don't want to be a Canadian, then Canadians aren't sure what to do with you. The rules are too complex for anyone to comprehend. Hands are wrung over dead children, then a collective yawn.

A wise old Indian once told me the best thing he ever did was get off the reserve. When we concentrate people in this way, the criminal element has a tendency to move right in. Canadians and Aboriginal peoples must work harder to minimize these sorts of tragedies.

This sort of thing is nothing new. It happens in the Jamaican Community, the Asian Community. Anywhere we pigeon hole people there always seems to be those who will prey on the weak.

The reserves should be done away with and First Nations, as opposed to The Bloc, should be afforded seats in our Senate and our Parliament so that they will be properly represented.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are more bullets flying in North Central than on the rezes.

RCS- We have First Nations MPs 3 of them. 2 from PQ and one from NFLD

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
A wise old Indian once told me the best thing he ever did was get off the reserve. When we concentrate people in this way, the criminal element has a tendency to move right in. Canadians and Aboriginal peoples must work harder to minimize these sorts of tragedies.

This sort of thing is nothing new. It happens in the Jamaican Community, the Asian Community. Anywhere we pigeon hole people there always seems to be those who will prey on the weak.

The reserves should be done away with and First Nations, as opposed to The Bloc, should be afforded seats in our Senate and our Parliament so that they will be properly represented.

Why can't they be properly represented like regular Canadfians with MPs? You seem to like parliamentary apartheid. I don't.

Integration makes you feel like you are part of larger community, a big thing called the nation of Canada. So once you feel part of it, there is less chance you wish to do harm to it. When an entire community wishes to do harm to the nation, then it is time to dismantle it, which is what is happening on reserves right now. Indians have some power, yet they still feel like outsiders and are antagonistic to the general population.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever since 1867

Inuit, Métis or First Nation Origin

McKay, AngusConservative (1867-1942)
Marquette, Manitoba1871.03.02Metis
Delorme, PierreConservative (1867-1942)Provencher, Manitoba1871.03.03Metis
Riel, Louis Independent Provencher, Manitoba1873.10.13Metis
Boucher, William AlbertLiberal Party of CanadaRosthern, Saskatchewan1948.10.25Metis
Rhéaume, Eugène (Gene)Progressive Conservative PartyNorthwest Territories, Northwest Territories1963.04.08Metis
Marchand, LenLiberal Party of CanadaKamloops--Cariboo, British Columbia1968.06.25First Nations
Firth, Walter (Wally)New Democratic PartyNorthwest Territories, Northwest Territories1972.10.30Metis
Ittinuar, PeterNew Democratic PartyNunatsiaq, Northwest Territories1979.05.22Inuit
Keeper, CyrilNew Democratic PartyWinnipeg--St. James, Manitoba1980.02.18Metis
St. Germain, GerryProgressive Conservative PartyMission--Port Moody, British Columbia1983.08.29Metis
Suluk, ThomasProgressive Conservative PartyNunatsiaq, Northwest Territories1984.09.04Inuit
Anawak, Jack IyerakLiberal Party of CanadaNunatsiaq, Northwest Territories1988.11.21Inuit
Blondin-Andrew, Ethel DorothyLiberal Party of CanadaWestern Arctic, Northwest Territories1988.11.21First Nations
Littlechild, Wilton (Willie)Progressive Conservative PartyWetaskiwin, Alberta1988.11.21First Nations
DeVillers, PaulLiberal Party of CanadaSimcoe North, Ontario1993.10.25Metis
Harper, ElijahLiberal Party of CanadaChurchill, Manitoba1993.10.25First Nations
O'Brien, Lawrence D.Liberal Party of CanadaLabrador, Newfoundland and Labrador1996.03.25Metis
Karetak-Lindell, NancyLiberal Party of CanadaNunavut, Northwest Territories1997.06.02Inuit
Laliberte, RickNew Democratic PartyChurchill River, Saskatchewan1997.06.02Metis
Cleary, BernardBloc QuébécoisLouis-Saint-Laurent, Quebec2004.06.28First Nations
Smith, DavidLiberal Party of CanadaPontiac, Quebec2004.06.28Metis
Russell, Todd NormanLiberal Party of CanadaLabrador, Newfoundland and Labrador2005.05.24Metis
Bruinooge, RodConservative Party of CanadaWinnipeg South, Manitoba2006.01.23Metis
Keeper, TinaLiberal Party of CanadaChurchill, Manitoba2006.01.23First Nations
Merasty, GaryLiberal Party of CanadaDesnethé--Missinippi--Churchill River, Saskatchewan2006.01.23First Nations
Clarke, RobConservative Party of CanadaDesnethé--Missinippi--Churchill River, Saskatchewan2008.03.17First Nations
Aglukkaq, LeonaConservative Party of CanadaNunavut, Nunavut2008.10.14Inui
tGlover, ShellyConservative Party of CanadaSaint Boniface, Manitoba2008.10.14Metis
Genest-Jourdain, JonathanNew Democratic PartyManicouagan, Quebec2011.05.02First Nations
Penashue, PeterConservative Party of CanadaLabrador, Newfoundland and Labrador2011.05.02First Nations
Saganash, RomeoNew Democratic PartyAbitibi--Baie-James--Nunavik--Eeyou, Quebec2011.05.02First Nations^

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Why can't they be properly represented like regular Canadfians with MPs? You seem to like parliamentary apartheid. I don't.

Get real!

Man, what is with people stuffing words in other peoples mouths?

If I had my way the Native people in this Country would have melted into our society long ago, but guess what, you or I don't control that and if you asked most Natives they would tell you it isn't what they want.

Instead of throwing around ridiculous statements like the one I underlined above just ask the question. "Why?" Then I'll gladly answer without rolling my eyes. Sheesh..[/QUOTE]

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Get real!

If I had my way the Native people in this Country would have melted into our society long ago, but guess what, you or I don't control that and if you asked most Natives they would tell you it isn't what they want.

Instead of throwing around ridiculous statements like the one I underlined above just ask the question. "Why?" Then I'll gladly answer without rolling my eyes. Sheesh..
[/QUOTE]

Reserves should be done away with you say, but aboriginals should be afforded parliamentary seats. That means giving seats based on race. I don't agree. Reserves keep Indians separate, without them, they assimilate, and once they assimilate, they don't need special representation in parliament.

Aboriginals should vote more, an urban vote is only worth about 1/4-1/2 a rural vote, and most Indians live in rural areas. But their numbers aren't that big and they're so uneducated, they make little difference.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Get real!

Instead of throwing around ridiculous statements like the one I underlined above just ask the question. "Why?" Then I'll gladly answer without rolling my eyes. Sheesh..
Two MPs per riding. One First Nations/Metis the other "other".

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Reserves should be done away with you say, but aboriginals should be afforded parliamentary seats. That means giving seats based on race. I don't agree. Reserves keep Indians separate, without them, they assimilate, and once they assimilate, they don't need special representation in parliament.

Aboriginals should vote more, an urban vote is only worth about 1/4-1/2 a rural vote, and most Indians live in rural areas. But their numbers aren't that big and they're so uneducated, they make little difference. But then on the other hand, the CRTC has acted on one single complaint.[/QUOTE]

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How much would you want to sell your rez for? I know of several sitting on top of a potash "reserves". Many with oil and gas "reserves". Uranium "reserves". Gold "reserves". Copper "reserves", Zinc "reserves" Industrial silicate "reserves". Water "reserves". Fish food and forest "reserves".

Get ready to crack open your wallet babycakes because those goodies aren't coming cheap. Not to you anyway.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
How much would you want to sell your rez for? I know of several sitting on top of a potash "reserves". Many with oil and gas "reserves". Uranium "reserves". Gold "reserves". Copper "reserves", Zinc "reserves" Industrial silicate "reserves". Water "reserves". Fish food and forest "reserves".

Get ready to crack open your wallet babycakes because those goodies aren't coming cheap. Not to you anyway.

"Reserves," funny. Everybody hopes they're like that smart hillbilly Jed who makes a killing and goes to Hollywood.

Now some Indian land is worth a ton because it is on valuable resources. To live a "tradtional" lifestyle doesn't mean miniing or drilling because that is hard work and takes a lot of planning. It never meant that in Africa, Asia or Europe. Traditional living means sitting around and doing as little as possible. That is the life of subsistent, traditional people-Indians. That's why they have famine in Africa, they only grow as much food as they immediately need, and when famine comes they cry help help help, so we must help then, as mostly women and children die.

The old treaties made by long gone Britishers just mean things like hunting and fishing. Like regular homeowners who are on valuable land in Canada, you get paid market value for your land and then you have to move.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"INDIAN"????

I thought the politically correct term was something else.

Since I don't wish to be perceived as politically incorrect, I do not dare to mention what else.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've never heard anyone complain about being called native or indian unless they've got a bug up their ass or you are disrespectful.

A good grip in your handshake while looking eye to eye and man to man goes a looooong way on the street I grew up on and the one l live on today.

There are some new ones in the un-PC dictionary lately too but I know that natives would find them funny too.