Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Congratulations . S Korea.

Breaking News Alert

The New York Times

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 -- 11:39 AM EDT

-----

2018 Winter Olympics Awarded to Pyeongchang, South Korea

The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea, the International Olympic Committee announced on Wednesday, awarding the games to the city that finished second in the competitions for the 2010 and 2014 winter games.

South Korea, which has hosted the Summer Olympics once, built its candidacy for 2018 on a proposal to expand winter sports in the lucrative Asian market. Its budget for 2018 was far more extravagant than rival bids — $1.5 billion for the actual Games and $2 billion to $6 billion for infrastructure projects, according to news reports. The winter games have been held twice before in Asia, in 1968 and 1998, both times in Japan.

Pyeongchang won on the first ballot of a secret vote of delegates of the I.O.C., prevailing over Munich and Annecy, France. Voting took place at a general assembly of the organization in Durban, South Africa.

Read More:

http://www.nytimes.com/?emc=na

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I guess this means that N. Korea will shell them a little bit for getting the Olympics.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I saw an "expert" on N. Korea state that whenever S. Korea is getting too much attention and they (N. Korea) feels they are being ignored they will lash out at S. Korea.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I saw an "expert" on N. Korea state that whenever S. Korea is getting too much attention and they (N. Korea) feels they are being ignored they will lash out at S. Korea.
Picnic baskets set out along the border by nuns to lure the North Korean military to defect might work....