Cop 'knew' kneeling on Steven Bosevski could kill

Cop 'knew' kneeling on Steven Bosevski could kill | (external - login to view)

Australia - A POLICE officer who knelt on the back of a man just moments before he died had received training that doing so could result in asphyxiation, he has told an inquest.

In the early hours of October 4 last year, rugby league fan Steven Bosevski died at St George Leagues Club in southern Sydney, after he was involved in a fight, then laid face down by police and handcuffed.

Mr Bosevski, 35, his identical twin brother Steve (Steve) and their other brother Tony had gathered at the club to celebrate the NRL grand final win by St George Illawarra over the Sydney Roosters.

CCTV footage of the night shows an apparent altercation between Steve Bosevski and another club patron, Robert Hristovski.
At the inquest into Mr Bosevski's death, Senior Constable Jonathan Menzies told Glebe Coroners Court on Monday that he had been one of six officers deployed to the club to intervene in the dispute.

During the melee, Sen Const Menzies said, he was concerned for his safety and had deployed capsicum spray at Steven Bosevski's two brothers, whom he described as being aggressive.

He said he helped another officer, Constable Smart, to restrain Mr Bosevski, who was handcuffed and lying face down.

Sen Const Menzies said he had received training prior to the incident that a person lying face down on their stomach should be moved when it was safe to do so, as the position carried a risk of asphyxiation.

He had also been instructed that kneeling on someone lying face down would increase the risk of asphyxiation.

Asked by Andrew Miller, counsel for the Bosevski family, whether he recalled kneeling on the deceased, Sen Const Menzies said he did not.

He was then shown CCTV footage of the incident.

"Was your recollection mistaken when you said that you never knelt down on the deceased?" Mr Miller asked him.

"Yes," Sen Const Menzies told the court.

"Were you aware of the risk factors of position asphyxiation?" Mr Miller asked.

"Yes," he replied.

The inquest before Deputy Coroner Paul MacMahon is continuing.

^ I posted this because the very first thing that came to mind when I read this was:

Robert Dziekański
Robert Dzieka (external - login to view)

I was continually wondering what the cause of death was in this incident and in the above link about Robert:

Toxicology tests found no drugs or alcohol in Dziekański's system. An autopsy for the British Columbia Coronerís Service did not determine the cause of death, citing no trauma or disease, nor pre-existing medical conditions.

The report by forensic pathologist Charles Lee, of Vancouver General Hospital, listed the principal cause of death as "sudden death during restraint", with a contributory factor of "chronic alcoholism".

Which is total bullsh*t if you ask me, because in the video which we all have seen, we can easily see they pinned him down while he was on his stomach.....

YouTube - Vancouver Airport - Robert Dziekanskis Taser Death Full

At 7:25 you can see he's piled on by all of the officers, and the one on the right has his knee pressed fully into his back, all weight onto him and for an extended period of time. After that, they continue to reamin on him, or pressing onto his back using two pairs of hands, while he is kicking and convulsing, until shortly afterwards he simply stops.

It wasn't any fk'n "Sudden Death" which was contributed to alcoholism..... sorry, but I don't buy vauge explanations like that..... he was asphyxiated and the multiple taser hits most certainly contributed to dimished ability to breathe, and he was never turned over from being on his stomach.... not to mention they never bothered to perform CPR.

I first thought it could have been the taser shots (a contributing factor most likely).... but, now reading the above news report here in Australia and what happened there, my opinion would be that the main factor of death had to do with these apes pinning him down and preventing him from breathing.

He might have actually been revived in time if they performed CPR, but they didn't.

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but it has always bugged me that his cause of death was never fully explained and chalked up to some "sudden death during restraint" summery and when I came across the above incident here in Australia, a light bulb went off.

Maybe it's not related and maybe Robert didn't die based on the above...... Maybe it was the taser hits..... but I'm starting to think otherwise.
I'm thinking probably a combination of factors in both cases. Kneeling an a persons back usually won't kill him.Most of the time a tazer won't either.. Most of the time being face down while drunk won't kill you either, actually it is better than being on your back when passed out but sometimes the planets align just right.
I've had handcuff training.......and kneeling on someone's back, or leaving them lying facedown is a BIG no-no. You can kneel on a shoulder and use wrist holds to force pain compliance, but piling on is simply not on......

It is called "positional asphyxiation", and men with big bellies are especially vulnerable.

The stomach is pushed in, up against the diaphragm, making it impossible for the victim to breathe.......

The first thing you do after handcuffing an individual is help them into a sitting position, and ask them if they are OK.

Sounds like this cop should be in some serious trouble.
They do that ALL THE TIME. There wouldn't be any cops left except for traffic if all were reprimanded for arrest techniques.
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

They do that ALL THE TIME. There wouldn't be any cops left except for traffic if all were reprimanded for arrest techniques.

If they really do it all the time then they should be re-trained on how to do it properly.
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

If they really do it all the time then they should be re-trained on how to do it properly.

Petros is right.......leaving suspects on their stomach was SOP, in fact, hog tying particularly offensive individuals was not at all unheard of.......

Attention to positional asphyxia and excited delerium is relatively new, and old habits hard to break. But new ways of doing things are becoming commonplace................and this case should just move things along.

Re-training indeed