Top Gear's Clarkson under fire after making 'racist joke' about comic Lenny Henry

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Jeremy Clarkson, the host of the popular BBC motoring show Top Gear, has come under fire for making a "racist" joke about black comedian Lenny Henry.

Clarkson, not renowned for his political correctness, complained in his Saturday morning newspaper that that an energy-saving mode on his new TV made the screen so dark 'every programme looks like it is being presented by Lenny Henry in a cave.'

His remark has attracted the fury of many people, including British soldier Johnson Beharry. Grenada-born Beharry, who won a Victoria Cross fighting for Britain in Iraq, said the remark wasn't funny.

And race campaigner Lee Jasper branded 51-year-old Clarkson's comment 'gratuitous' and claimed it could lead to playground taunts and racist insults in the street.

This isn't the first time Clarkson has caused controversy with his jokes, most of which he says on Top Gear.

Korean car giant Hyundai complained after Clarkson's 'bigoted and racist' claim that company staff had 'eaten dog.'

Earlier this year Clarkson had to apologise to the Mexican ambassador after branding its citizens 'lazy.'

And in 2009 Clarkson called the then Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who lost the sight in one eye during an accident whilst playing rugby in 1967, a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot.'

Top Gear is one of Britain's most successful TV exports, attracting 350 million viewers worldwide.

Jeremy Clarkson under fire after making 'racist joke' about comic Lenny Henry

By Daily Mail Reporter
3rd July 2011
Daily Mail

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has sparked a race row after an 'offensive' joke about comic Lenny Henry being black.

The BBC presenter complained that an energy-saving mode on his new TV made the screen so dark 'every programme looks like it is being presented by Lenny Henry in a cave.'

Clarkson was accused of 'crossing the line' with the jibe in his Saturday newspaper column.

Controversy: Top gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson and comic Lenny Henry

Grenada-born Johnson Beharry, who won a Victoria Cross fighting for Britain in Iraq, said the remark wasn't funny.

Criticism: VC hero Johnson Beharry

He told the People newspaper: 'People think it's acceptable to poke fun at people without thinking about the consequences.

'Clarkson needs to be stopped from saying things like this. They legitimise racism.'

Race campaigner Lee Jasper branded 51-year-old Clarkson's comment 'gratuitous' and claimed it could lead to playground taunts and racist insults in the street.

He added: 'People think, "Well, if Clarkson can have a joke at the expense of someone's race then so can I."'

Jeremy Clarkson (centre) with fellow Top Gear presenters Richard Hammond (left) and James May

Labour MP Dennis McShane said the remark was 'unpleasant and offensive.'

This isn't the first time Clarkson has caused controversy with his 'jokes'. In the past he has said that anyone who is offended by him lacks a sense of humour.

Korean car giant Hyundai complained after Clarkson's 'bigoted and racist' claim that company staff had 'eaten dog.'

He caused another furore by doing mini Nazi salutes as he talked about the German design of a new Mini.

Clarkson had to apologise to the Mexican ambassador after branding its citizens 'lazy.'

While in Australia in February, 2009, Clarkson made disparaging remarks aimed at Prime Minister Gordon Brown, calling him a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot.'

VC hero hits back at Jeremy Clarkson over his 'racist joke' about comic Lenny Henry | Mail Online

Last edited:

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I am not good at determining if these comments are good or bad. I have no experience with borderline comments like this. The stuff I heard growing up was always over the top and totally inapropriate, probably one of the reasons why I don't and wont talk that way.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
My first question's gotta be, "Has anyone ever seen Lenny Henry in a cave?"

:?P

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
His comment didn't stereotype. It didn't demean the culture, the social status, or the habits of anyone. It didn't remark on a single facet of Lenny whoeverheis, in any way shape or form, other than his outward appearance. And it only referenced that in, well, let's face it, a factual manner.

If Lenny whoeverheis was to comment in his act on the startlingly white state of my skin, I'm sure he'd get a great guffaw from the crowd. So, what's the issue?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I took his comment simply to refer to Lenny's skin colour, which is hardly something to argue about. It would be the same as mentioning a blonde's hair colour and comparing it to sunlight.

His comments didn't seem to be demeaning or prejudicial.

And I don't even like him, I think he's an idiot, but many car guys think he's great.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
I took his comment simply to refer to Lenny's skin colour, which is hardly something to argue about. It would be the same as mentioning a blonde's hair colour and comparing it to sunlight.

His comments didn't seem to be demeaning or prejudicial.

And I don't even like him, I think he's an idiot, but many car guys think he's great.

I really think that it is all a big deal about nothing. I am not particularily found of Jeremy, but I must admit I am a fan of "Top Gear". He (Clarkson) was obviously trying to make a funny in his column that didn't pan out and while it was an unfortunate comparison, it isnt anything that comedians don't do on a daily basis. Having grown up watching Lenny Henry in England, I am pretty certain that even Lenny thinks nothing of it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
For some reason, I am reminded of a story I once read about Ray Charles and Bill Cosby. Apparently, Cosby came up to Ray's hotel room, knocked on the door, and heard a 'come in'. Cosby opened the door, and the room was completely dark. 'Where are you, Ray?' he asked.

'I'm in the bathroom, shaving.' he said.

'Shaving? In the dark?' asked Cosby....