'Burn the witches!': Christians try to drive pagans out of ancient market town

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When a couple of pagans moved to a quaint and ancient market town and open a shop they probably thought they'd lead peaceful lives.

What they probably didn't expect was for them to be targetted by Christians calling for them to be burned at the stake.

Father-of-one Albion and his partner Raven, 39, opened The Whispering Witch in the quaint town of Alcester, Warwickshire, around 15 months ago and claim to have been subjected to a hate campaign ever since.

'People shout 'burn the witches' as they go past and we've had others urinating up the window,' said Albion, 51.

'I found a pile of wood stacked in front of the door one morning.

'We've also had letters quoting extracts from the Bible telling us not to 'promote the work of darkness' in 'their town'.

'I can only assume this is the work of Christians. The handwriting looks as though it's from an adult. It's like living in the 16th century.'

As well as selling various items like cauldrons, crystals, herbs and wands in their spooky shop, the Pagan pair hold witchcraft courses, seances and ghost hunts.

The couple have not yet reported the incidents to police, but Christians in the town say they are aware of the bad feeling.

Reverend Alistair Aird, from Alcester Baptist Church, condemned those behind the attacks but added: 'My impression is that people in the town don't feel that this is the kind of thing they want in Alcester.'

'Burn the witches!': Pagans find wood piled up outside their door after 'furious Christians try to drive them out of market town'

By Daily Mail Reporter
3rd July 2011
Daily Mail

It sounds like a horror story straight from medieval times.

Two witches descend on an ancient market town - only to be targeted by terrified Christians calling for them to be burned at the stake.

But for father-of-one Albion and his partner Raven, 39, this is no historical event - it is a modern nightmare.

Hostility: Witches Albion and Raven claim to have been subject to a hate campaign

The Pagan couple opened their shop The Whispering Witch in the quaint town of Alcester, Warwickshire, around 15 months ago and claim to have been subjected to a hate campaign ever since.

'People shout 'burn the witches' as they go past and we've had others urinating up the window,' said Albion, 51.

'I found a pile of wood stacked in front of the door one morning.

'We've also had letters quoting extracts from the Bible telling us not to 'promote the work of darkness' in 'their town'.

'I can only assume this is the work of Christians. The handwriting looks as though it's from an adult. It's like living in the 16th century.'

The Pagan couple opened their shop The Whispering Witch in the quaint town of Alcester, Warwickshire, around 15 months ago

The pair, from Redditch, have been Pagans for years and no longer use their birth names, which they refuse to reveal.

'Things have gotten so bad that Raven has been close to a nervous breakdown,' Albion said.

'When she walks down the street, people cross the road to avoid her.

'She's been to the doctor to get help, the stress is too much.

'It does sound like the letters are from people attending the churches because of the references to the Bible.

We've had four in total and each one has been in different handwriting.

'It seems their main aim is to oust us from the town because they disagree with our beliefs. There are references to the devil, but we don't believe in that as it is a Christian concept.

'It is pathetic and unbelievable. What we are suffering is racism from people with a 16th century mentality.

'Paganism is a recognised religion and we are here to stay.'

As well as selling various items like cauldrons, crystals, herbs and wands in their spooky shop, the Pagan pair hold witchcraft courses, seances and ghost hunts.

Quaint Alcester: Albion said some people have shouted 'burn the witches' at them and people have even urinated up the window

'People come and ask us for advice and sometimes they want to be put in touch with loved ones who have passed away,' Albion said.

'We can do that through our seances. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.'

The couple have even organised a Ghost Festival in September to try to boost tourism.

'We want to support the town and make the festival a success,' said Albion. 'It's something that could really put Alcester on the map.'

The couple have not yet reported the incidents to police, but Christians in the town say they are aware of the bad feeling.

Reverend Alistair Aird, from Alcester Baptist Church, condemned those behind the attacks but added: 'My impression is that people in the town don't feel that this is the kind of thing they want in Alcester.

'The murmurings are what I have picked up whilst walking around town from mothers, who have talked to me in the street.

'I have not had any dealings with the owners and the business is entitled to set up wherever they want to.'

When asked about people shouting 'burn the witch', he added: 'I have never heard of any of those things. However, if it is happening then it is wrong.

'It would be disappointing to believe that Christians were behaving that way.'

Councillor Chris Gough, a former Mayor of Alcester and deacon at Alcester Baptist Church, added: 'I'm aware that they are being frowned upon. Instinctively, it is not the sort of thing we want to see in the town.

'As a church-goer, I think we probably feel strongly about anyone who puts themselves forward as a witch in any form.'

Witches fear being driven out of town following 'hostility from Christians' | Mail Online

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
What the ****.......8O As I was reading I thought this was some historical event that happened in the 17th century or something, definitely not something that could be possibly be still going on nowadays. Can we round these religious primitives up and have science experiment on their brains?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What the ****.......8O As I was reading I thought this was some historical event that happened in the 17th century or something, definitely not something that could be possibly be still going on nowadays. Can we round these religious primitives up and have science experiment on their brains?

Hmmm....

You must have loved Joe Stalin!!!!

Did you know he was an informant for the Tsar's secret police????

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
What's wrong Colpy you don't support the experimentation of this neanderthals, maybe we can learn something for the betterment of humanity, if not who cares a bunch of primitive crazies are gone, win win.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It seems pretty straightforward to me.... if you don't like their shop, don't shop at it. If it's something 'the town' doesn't want, it will end up shutting down due to lack of business. Zealots, sheesh.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What's wrong Colpy you don't support the experimentation of this neanderthals, maybe we can learn something for the betterment of humanity, if not who cares a bunch of primitive crazies are gone, win win.

You really are brain dead, aren't you. What's rich, is you criticize americans.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Brain dead really? Haven't I asserted my intellectual superiority over you enough times that you wouldn't be asking such silly questions? Didn't you admit one of your relatives was brain dead? So why would you use such idiotic remarks? Again you aren't very bright, so please stfu.

People shout 'burn the witches' as they go past and we've had others urinating up the window,' said Albion, 51.

This is Salem all over again, it's unbelievable.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Brain dead really? Haven't I asserted my intellectual superiority over you enough times that you wouldn't be asking such silly questions.

People shout 'burn the witches' as they go past and we've had others urinating up the window,' said Albion, 51.

This is Salem all over again, it's unbelievable.

what's unbelievable is your call for experimentation. This is not asserting any kind of intellectual superiority, what this is asserting and proving is your complete lack of humanity and cognitive thought. Mengele would be proud of you.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
You're right I do have a lack of humanity and so do you, the difference is I'm not delusional about it. And my cognitive thinking is fine!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Helen Blair much? In another thread you're whining about inhumanity when in here you're admitting you're part of the problem. One might think an intellectual troll would at least have the smarts to remain in character.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Helen Blair much? In another thread you're whining about inhumanity when in here you're admitting you're part of the problem. One might think an intellectual troll would at least have the smarts to remain in character.

It's already been proven that smarts/intelligence and cubert are exclusive.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

That's not inhumanity! People who yell "BURN THE WITCH !!" and piss on the windows of businesses are people who are a detriment to normal people's well-being and safety. They're a detriment to society living in peace.
That is why they need to be ****ed off.
I'd be willing to bet money you wouldn't mind seeing a child rapist executed or experimented on, don't be so hypocritical.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Naw ... I can think of lots more fun things to do with diddlers - but thanks for the lesson in hypocricy. It's always best to get the advice of experts in their field....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Actually, Christians have done much for the betterment of Humanity..........some of the very best NGOs on earth are Christian in nature, such as World Vision. Christian ministries in some of the worst places on earth bring food, education, medicine to the most needy.......Christian organizations form the backbone of many ant-war organizations (mistaken or not, their hearts are in the right place).....and certain Christian sects (the Quakers, for instance) were largely responsible for the elimination of slavery. Deist theology, based on judeo-christian philosophy, was the inspiration for John Locke, the man who laid the philosophical foundations of modern democracy...........

And atheists and pagans murdered over 100 million people in the twentieth century in the campaign to produce the perfect man, or the perfect society. Christianity has certainly had its low spots, but it couldn't hold a candle.......

Even today, I have yet to hear of the Atheist Council for the Betterment of Mankind..........atheists are too damn busy studying their own navels in orgies of narcissism.........and/or misanthropy.

BTW, we are all neanderthal. Check your anthropology....:)

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
That's not relevant, I'm not talking about all Christians or even talking about religion but these whacko's who still think they're living in the 17th century and believe witches are among them and should be burned at the stake.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That's not inhumanity! People who yell "BURN THE WITCH !!" and piss on the windows of businesses are people who are a detriment to normal people's well-being and safety. They're a detriment to society living in peace.
That is why they need to be ****ed off.
I'd be willing to bet money you wouldn't mind seeing a child rapist executed or experimented on, don't be so hypocritical.

Don't be ridiculous.

If expounding an idiotic idea was reason for vivisection, the best parts of you would have long since have been splattered over someone's labcoat.

To compare a stupid yob shouting a threat to child rape is just so ludicrous.

These people need to be found, charged, fined, publicly shamed, and ordered to keep the peace.

That is about it.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
BTW, we are all neanderthal. Check your anthropology....:)
We aren't neanderthal but we've retained some neanderthal DNA
but some have retained more neanderthal DNA than others :lol:

Don't be ridiculous.

If expounding an idiotic idea was reason for vivisection, the best parts of you would have long since have been splattered over someone's labcoat.

To compare a stupid yob shouting a threat to child rape is just so ludicrous.

These people need to be found, charged, fined, publicly shamed, and ordered to keep the peace.

That is about it.

These people are blatantly mentally ill, a fine won't solve anything. Perhaps experimentation is going a little far, maybe locked in a mental asylum ...