"Canada Day" or "Dominion Day"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another thing that got screwed up during Trudeau's watch. "Dominion Day" was a perfectly good name as we are a dominion and this is just another case of some a$$hole changing something for the sake of change. "Canada Day" in my mind just lacks any imagination. Anyone else with ideas?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Was Trudeau even there when the name was changed? Seems to me there were only about 8 MPs there that day, and it was a private member's bill. I don't know who they were, though.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Was Trudeau even there when the name was changed? Seems to me there were only about 8 MPs there that day, and it was a private member's bill. I don't know who they were, though.

In 1946, Philéas Côté, a Quebec member of the House of Commons, introduced a private member's bill to rename Dominion Day as Canada Day.[15] His bill was passed quickly by the House of Commons but was stalled by the Senate, which returned the bill to the Commons with the recommendation that the holiday be renamed The National Holiday of Canada, an amendment that effectively killed the bill.[16]

Decades before Trudeau even became PM there were attempts at changing it. It was inevitable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How could a criticism of turdo possibly be dumb?
Easy! Ignore facts, and have a complete lack of knowledge of the Trudeau era. Then make up a completely different reality to live in while you give the man a God like persona, based on anti Americanism and a silly belief that the man put Canada on the map.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Easy! Ignore facts, and have a complete lack of knowledge of the Trudeau era. Then make up a completely different reality to live in while you give the man a God like persona, based on anti Americanism and a silly belief that the man put Canada on the map.

I couldn't have put it any better myself Bear. I'm going to nominate you for a Pullitzer Prize. :smile:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're no longer a Dominion. Haven't been for decades. Perhaps we should've scrapped the holiday all together and made April 17th Canada Day-seeing as that's when the constitution was finally brought home.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I couldn't have put it any better myself Bear. I'm going to nominate you for a Pullitzer Prize. :smile:
Thanx, oddly enough, the same sentiment was expressed after my speech at a good friends wedding recently.

We're no longer a Dominion. Haven't been for decades.
Correction, the Gov't simply dropped its use. The term Dominion was simply applied, instead of Kingdom. It certainly isn't a case of whether we are or are not.

Perhaps we should've scrapped the holiday all together and made April 17th Canada Day-seeing as that's when the constitution was finally brought home.
Actually, January 1st, 1947 would likely be a better choice.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
From what I hear about them, they are sort of my kind of people, hardworking,straight forward and simple. :smile:
Agreed.

Although the definitions of simple could be interchangeable to some' perspectives, lol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Is this the place where I can wish all of you a Happy Canada Day?

Happy Canada Day to CanCon!

Enjoy!