Arts Funding........Interview with Margie Gillis


Colpy
#1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrUfK...eature=related (external - login to view)












YouTube - ‪Sun News "Interview" with Margie Gillis - part 2‬‏ (external - login to view)

What do you all think???

This interview generated thousands of complaints to the regulatory agency.......
 
karrie
+1
#2
I think the interviewer was tacky and rude and Miss Gillis composed herself well in the face of such combativeness very well.

Would I have complained to a regulatory agency about it? I don't know... was it on a news program or an op/ed program?
 
Colpy
+2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I think the interviewer was tacky and rude and Miss Gillis composed herself well in the face of such combativeness very well.

Would I have complained to a regulatory agency about it? I don't know... was it on a news program or an op/ed program?

Op/Ed......and I agree. I do think Miss Gillis was exceptionally graceful in the face of rude and uncompromising attack.

At the same time, I think Miss Gillis is a leech.........but obviously she doesn't see herself that way.

If it were up to me, Arts funding would be the first to go, along with athletics and multiculturalism grants..........

What the hell is the gov't doing funding "interpretive dance"????? What a joke!

And there are lots of leeches out there that know they are leeches......most of them are corporate. screw them too.

And I've actually heard of free speech. No call to a regulatory agency required.

Damn I'd love to run this country for a decade.

Or maybe Colpy, President for Life.
 
TenPenny
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

What the hell is the gov't doing funding "interpretive dance"?????

Why does the government fund anything?

Should the government fund writers? Musicians? Dancers? Museums? Theatres? Sports teams? the Olympics? Forestry workers? Summer jobs for students? women on maternity leave? people who get sick or disabled?
 
karrie
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Op/Ed......and I agree. I do think Miss Gillis was exceptionally graceful in the face of rude and uncompromising attack.

At the same time, I think Miss Gillis is a leech.........but obviously she doesn't see herself that way.

If it were up to me, Arts funding would be the first to go, along with athletics and multiculturalism grants..........

I have to disagree about arts funding, as I don't think it is unnecessary, but, I do think it is one of the 'perks', and should be one of the first scaled back in times of desperation, which it currently is. 'Arts' is such a subjective thing, and we do have innovations that come forth from it. It is one of the many ways that societies communicate, and one of the levels on which the human brain functions. As such, you simply can't eliminate it and expect a healthy, balanced society. You need at least a bare minimum of funding to keep the education avenues of the arts and athletics, etc., open.
 
Colpy
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Why does the government fund anything?

Should the government fund writers? Musicians? Dancers? Museums? Theatres? Sports teams? the Olympics? Forestry workers? Summer jobs for students? women on maternity leave? people who get sick or disabled?

No

No

No

Yes

no

No

No

Perhaps

Yes

Of course

Of course

 
Tonington
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Op/Ed......and I agree. I do think Miss Gillis was exceptionally graceful in the face of rude and uncompromising attack.

At the same time, I think Miss Gillis is a leech.........but obviously she doesn't see herself that way.

If it were up to me, Arts funding would be the first to go, along with athletics and multiculturalism grants..........

It's a bit rich that any personality working for Quebecor would make a point about funding from the government...they might have a point if their media group didn't take funds from the government, but they have:
Canadian Heritage - The Honourable James Moore - News Releases/Statements (external - login to view)

Not only that, but Krista Erickson made her name working for CBC.

That was a pathetic joke of infotainment...stupid media, so I posted it in the stupid media thread when I heard about it:
forums.canadiancontent.net/us...ews-media.html (external - login to view)
 
CUBert
#8
She considers herself to be a journalist? What a joke! I just wonder if she really believes on the trash coming out of her mouth or if she is simply doing it to be the centre of attention. The funny part is how she introduces Margie Gillis with all her achievements, yet this Krista Erickson character only accomplishment is to be a dumb blonde mannequin for the right wing stupidity. The left has it's share of crazies, but man!, the right seem to be overwhelmed by them...

I think that youtube comment says it all
 
TenPenny
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

No

No

No

Yes

no

No

No

Perhaps

Yes

Of course

Of course

Why?

Quote: Originally Posted by CUBertView Post

She considers herself to be a journalist?

She's not a journalist, she, like all the other talking heads, is reading questions that have been written for her.

She's an actor, a spokesman, she's reciting the corporate line. That's what they all do. Don Cherry, Peter Mansbridge, Lloyd Roberston.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#10
Sun news is getting desperate for hits again.
 
Colpy
#11
Art Attack! : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery (external - login to view)

You'll notice that Sun News TV.....despite tons of accusations....is hardly behaving as a Conservative Party mouthpiece....lol
 
weaselwords
#12
4000 complaints all from artists? Hope you can back that up Mr Lilley.
 
TenPenny
+1
#13
I wonder how much government money Quebecor has received over the last few years.
 
petros
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Art Attack! : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery (external - login to view)

You'll notice that Sun News TV.....despite tons of accusations....is hardly behaving as a Conservative Party mouthpiece....lol

What does dying with dignity and euthenasia has what to do with Arts?
 
Colpy
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What does dying with dignity and euthenasia has what to do with Arts?

You are correct! My fault entirely........the link I posted was for the vid following the arts one....try this:

Art Attack! : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery (external - login to view)
 
Machjo
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

YouTube - ‪Sun News "Interview" with Margie Gillis - part 1‬‏ (external - login to view)












YouTube - ‪Sun News "Interview" with Margie Gillis - part 2‬‏ (external - login to view)

What do you all think???

This interview generated thousands of complaints to the regulatory agency.......

Waht a first class B!tch!

First off, I Sun news invites her to speak to them, and she's kind enough to appear. And by the looks of it, she was led to believe she was there to descuss her art, not public funding for her art.

Secondly, the interviewer is right in her face and confrontational the whole way through. Total lack of tact and basic human courtesy.

Don't get me wrong. I do agree that we ought to cut all arts funding, and so on that frunt I do agree in principle with the interviewer that we ought to cut that funding. But that's not the way to get her point across. On that video she just comes across as a first-class B!tch!

And just another point. If the government gives me money, don't ask me why it did it, ask the government. You have every right to bitch and complain to the government about why it gave me X amount of cash. But if I have provided a service to the government for X amount of cash and the government agreed, that's not my problem. So why is Sun News bitching at the artist when it's government officials and not her who decided to give her themoney in the first place. Idiot!
 
Machjo
#17
That last part was badly explained by the dancer. It sounds like she's talking about theatre of the oppressed:

Theatre of the Oppressed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

I'd been involved in it before myself, and it is valuable work. What is shameful is that the interviewer had not done her homework and was clueless about work involving theatre for peace. In fact, thatre of the oppressed has been used quite successfully among groups in conflict areas for years.

But again, if this is the quality of news Sun has to offer, I'm happy not to waste my time watching it. As much as I don't appreciate my tax dollars going to the arts (though I would make an exception for clearly defined objectives such as thatre of the oppressed and other forms of conflict resolution strategies), I'd far rather it go though than to that nuckle dragger at Sun News.
 
CDNBear
+2
#18
Simple solution. People who feel deeply about the arts, should fund it from their pockets. Not the public purse.
 
YukonJack
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Simple solution. People who feel deeply about the arts, should fund it from their pockets. Not the public purse.

And exactly the same goes for multi-culturalism.
 
karrie
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Simple solution. People who feel deeply about the arts, should fund it from their pockets. Not the public purse.

People who feel deeply about the arts, who are inclined toward the arts, are not necessarily aware of it, and wouldn't necessarily ever be nurtured in it, without first learning a bit about it. That's the tricky part. Without art teachers, you have no way of encouraging a troubled youth to try picking up a pencil. There is a basic level of art funding needed to keep its educational component alive.

trips overseas to dance? yeah, not so much. But basic education level funding, if it were to disappear, would be a huge disservice to numerous programs that currently exist. Art therapy and art outreach are ones for example, that I have seen work wonders to bridge cultural gaps between white and native students, and native students and their teachers. When you find that talent in a kid that the educational system had written off, and suddenly can make school worth his while, that's HUGE. And it's important for our society.
 
Tonington
#21
I wonder if anyone has looked at what kind of economic activity is generated by the investment by government? As an example, Kansas recently cut their arts funding completely, $575,000. But the arts generate $153.5 million in economic activity in the state, and $15 million in revenue for the state through tax receipts. Not only that, but there are ancillary benefits; art as part of an education curriculum produces higher test scores. A rich learning environment has many benefits over the basics.

But those are debates that never seem to be had.

I should add a caveat, I first learned of the situation in Kansas from a piece on tax payer funded CBC radio.
 
petros
+2
#22
Rap came along just shortly after music in schools was axed, slashed and burned.

You get what you pay for Niggas and Bitches.
 
YukonJack
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Rap came along just shortly after music in schools was axed, slashed and burned.

You get what you pay for Niggas and Bitches.

And similarly, child obesity became a problem when games of tag, dodge ball and regular phys ed classes in schools were discontinued.
 
petros
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

And similarly, child obesity became a problem when games of tag, dodge ball and regular phys ed classes in schools were discontinued.

Exactly. When I was a kid we spent every recess and lunch hour playing football or hockey.

To us an X-Box was an ex-box that was one day a fire station or the next a submarine or something to slide down the slightest of snow covered grades.

We never got bored.
 
Tonington
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

And similarly, child obesity became a problem when games of tag, dodge ball and regular phys ed classes in schools were discontinued.

Also, most families don't live on farms where kids were expected to lend a hand.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Exactly. When I was a kid we spent every recess and lunch hour playing football or hockey.

For us it was baseball, soccer, hockey and basketball, at different times of the year. Later on in school I spent my recess and lunch hours on a sort of track team, chasing the girls
 
petros
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Also, most families don't live on farms where kids were expected to lend a hand.

it's still like that today. Kid's aren't expected to show up for school during harvest. You won't see a farm kid over sixteen in class during that time. There are no qualms over it either.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

For us it was baseball, soccer, hockey and basketball, at different times of the year. Later on in school I spent my recess and lunch hours on a sort of track team, chasing the girls

We didn't have to chase the girls. The puck bunnies chased us.
 
Tonington
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

it's still like that today. Kid's aren't expected to show up for school during harvest.

Just for the kids who live on farms, which are dwarfed by the number of kids in urban/sub-urban areas

Quote:

We didn't have to chase the girls. The puck bunnies chased us.

Living petri dishes of nasty cell culture, that's what the puck bunnies were in my town.

Also, the chase is half the fun.
 
Machjo
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Simple solution. People who feel deeply about the arts, should fund it from their pockets. Not the public purse.

Agreed. My point was it doesn't give a Sun News interviewer to treat an artist with disrespect just because she is receiving public funding. She did not decide how much the government should give her.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

People who feel deeply about the arts, who are inclined toward the arts, are not necessarily aware of it, and wouldn't necessarily ever be nurtured in it, without first learning a bit about it. That's the tricky part. Without art teachers, you have no way of encouraging a troubled youth to try picking up a pencil. There is a basic level of art funding needed to keep its educational component alive.

trips overseas to dance? yeah, not so much. But basic education level funding, if it were to disappear, would be a huge disservice to numerous programs that currently exist. Art therapy and art outreach are ones for example, that I have seen work wonders to bridge cultural gaps between white and native students, and native students and their teachers. When you find that talent in a kid that the educational system had written off, and suddenly can make school worth his while, that's HUGE. And it's important for our society.

I'm all for increased funding for arts education in universal public education via provincial ministries of education in public schools. Not otherwise.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I wonder if anyone has looked at what kind of economic activity is generated by the investment by government? As an example, Kansas recently cut their arts funding completely, $575,000. But the arts generate $153.5 million in economic activity in the state, and $15 million in revenue for the state through tax receipts. Not only that, but there are ancillary benefits; art as part of an education curriculum produces higher test scores. A rich learning environment has many benefits over the basics.

But those are debates that never seem to be had.

I should add a caveat, I first learned of the situation in Kansas from a piece on tax payer funded CBC radio.

So teach them art in school so as to give them the tools to produce it in the private sector.
 
Colpy
+1
#29
I used to do interpretive dance.

Seriously.

I had a piece inspired by Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times. It was called "The Industrial Revolution"

Seriously.

It used to leave my kids rolling in the aisles.

Really.

I'll be lining up for my 100 grand a year..........
 
Tonington
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So teach them art in school so as to give them the tools to produce it in the private sector.

You think that's all that is required? Art classes in school? Exhibitions, and touring theater groups need money before they make money, and support for artists turns into economic benefit.

I went looking for the answers to my own question. An economic analysis of The Kansas Art Commission found that the art activities it was involved with annually produced $20 million worth of economic activity, which generated $2.1 million in local and state tax revenue.

When the state funding disappears, then any federal funds and local funds which were tied to the state funds disappear. That's an economic loss.
www.ipsr.ku.edu/resrep/pdf/m257a.pdf (external - login to view)
 

Similar Threads

12
0
Year in Arts and Entertainment
by CBC News | Dec 17th, 2007
0
Visual and Media Arts Awards
by FiveParadox | Mar 16th, 2006
no new posts