Arts Funding........Interview with Margie Gillis

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

You do know she Choreographs many cirque du Soleil shows don't you?
If you know anything about the Cirque du Soleil then you would know many of the artists
Where troubled in there youth.

It says nothing about it in her web site. But its still happening without it being mentioned.

I love your broad brush.

She was commissioned (Read, paid to) to choreograph two solo's for Cirque du Soliel in Vegas.

Quote:

You must really feel at home in Harper land lol

LOL, ya, I must be loving it in Harper land, because you can't back up your claims.

Like I said, that $100,000, actually, the whole $1,2 million, would have been better spent on the public education system.

carry on.

L Gilbert

Its a Dancer's foundation. She help's young artists with workshops and grant money.
To help them on there way to making it big. Like with the Cirque du Soleil.

That's fine if Gillis does that, bu IMO, she should let them dance while she sticks to the desk work.lol

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I love your broad brush.

She was commissioned (Read, paid to) to choreograph two solo's for Cirque du Soliel in Vegas.

Like I said, that $100,000, actually, the whole $1,2 million, would have been better spent on the public education system.

carry on.

It is in the education system. Her organization gives grants to student's that want to study dance at a international level. Lol WTF don't you understand lol!

CDNBear

It is in the education system.

Was the word "public" and inference to standard education to hard for you to grasp?

That was rhetorical btw, since you didn't get the insinuation in the first place.

Quote:

Her organization gives grants to student's that want to study dance at a international level.

Who meet the stringent criteria of Juilliard? That's not "public" education.

But I digress, can you provide something to back up that claim?

Quote:

Lol WTF don't you understand lol!

Apparently I understand a lot more than you.

Hence why I think we should have spent that $1.2 million on the public education system.

damngrumpy
+1
First of all I agree with funding the arts and I think they should continue to do so.
There are many things the arts and sciences actually touch on from assisting in
the development of writers, and people in support roles in films and so on that
might not other wise be advanced as quickly. I don't go to that many performances
in fact I can't remember the last time I did but hell we support olympic athletes and
those of that area of endeavour why not the arts.
I think the interviewer was rude and attempted to represent the financial figures as
something other than they might be and Ms Gillis acquitted herself quite well in getting
the situation representative to the facts. Of course we are dealing with Fox North
here so facts don't always enter the picture, and that has to be taken into account
as well.
I for one have not trouble funding projects that enrich the lives of many be they youth,
senior citizens, sport enthusiasts and others who are into other forms of entertainment.
It is part of enriching a civilized society. We help corporations and we give others
much bigger tax breaks. Why is it that we have no problem propping up millionaires
and corporate interests but when it comes to ordinary people we call that an expense.
I think the interview has a serious problem, it was about the interviewer and not about
the guest or the subject at hand. It left me with the feeling of being offended by the
lack of civility, and depth of knowledge of the interviewer, and it suggested to me the
reason no one from the arts community wanted to talk to them is because they are
not worth the effort. This interviewer was about sensationalism and not about informing
he audience.
What is the old saying? It is better to be silent and have people think you are ignorant
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. That is the fate of the interviewer in this
case.

Angstrom

Was the word "public" and inference to standard education to hard for you to grasp?

That was rhetorical btw, since you didn't get the insinuation in the first place.

Who meet the stringent criteria of Juilliard? That's not "public" education.

But I digress, can you provide something to back up that claim?

Apparently I understand a lot more than you.

Hence why I think we should have spent that $1.2 million on the public education system.

That's 1.2 million over 13 years. That's under 100 000 a year. Big whoopsy do!
Education is a provincial department. She got money from the Federal. Heritage Canada I bet.

CDNBear

Education is a provincial department. She got money from federal.

You just keep making my assertion, that much more poignant.

Angstrom

You just keep making my assertion, that much more poignant.

We need a new national holiday for your kind. Harper land day. lol
I say we use that 100 000$ a year on that. Lol

Then maybe I wont have to read about you guys whining that Canadian tax payers are
Paying 0.00279 of a penny a year to a dance foundation that supports arts.
Last edited by Angstrom; Feb 17th, 2012 at 07:47 PM..

damngrumpy
+1
I am for all intent and purpose retired except I still operate my small farm. Those who are in
the arts should pay their own way. OK. In that case I think people who are trying to find any
kind of employment should not get any kind of help from government. No training, no UI and
not incentives to companies to create jobs. No research funding for any sector of the economy
and certainly no help for the poor or those with disabilities.
Of course the above is ridiculous. Every sector needs to have input money and this is no
exception. This woman over the past thirty five years has not only performed well but she has
by the sound of it provided all kinds of opportunities for those who are in the field of entertainment,
and personal growth and achievement.
We dismantled things before that could have been of future benefit to Canadians, as sore point
with me is the Conservatives who bitched until they shut down the Avro Arrow and cost this nation
an aircraft industry of its own.
This country should be about how we treat each other and support endeavour even though it is not
part of our personal cup of tea. The problem is we don't treat each other very well when it comes
to things that matter. Look at how the native schools turned out. We also made the veterans
fight for decades for compensation because they were merchant marines in the second world war.
There is a long list of things we have done wrong granted. There is also a long list of things we
have done right. We corrected some of the ills of the past, we have supported athletes in the
field of international competition and we are funding the arts as well not everyone can play goal
or kick a ball. Our personal bias should not be a part of this, we should understand that others
in the Canadian family have other interests and roads to achievement that can enrich the lives
of millions. I think this is just silly and the interview spoke for itself

CDNBear

We need a new national holiday for your kind. Harper land day. lol
I say we use that 100 000$ a year on that. Lol

Ya ya ya, instead of backing up your claims, keep up the "Harper land" babble.

Carry on.

Angstrom

Ya ya ya, instead of backing up your claims, keep up the "Harper land" babble.

Carry on.

The Margie Gillis Dance Foundation - FOUNDATION (external - login to view)

Oh look !

She is part of Oxfam and They happen to help troubled youth. Jeunes | Oxfam-Québec (external - login to view)

CDNBear

The Margie Gillis Dance Foundation - FOUNDATION (external - login to view)

Oh look !

She is part of Oxfam and They happen to help troubled youth. Jeunes | Oxfam-Québec (external - login to view)

She isn't part of Oxfam. Her foundation supports Oxfam Quebec.

"The Margie Gillis Dance Foundation supports many humanitarian causes. Here are a few:"

Keep trying. The law of averages says you might actually stumble on something that supports your claims.

Seriously, that $1.2 million would have been better spent in your school district.

Angstrom
Well now's the perfect time to cut it. Harper has a majority.
Will need more money for Bombs for them F-35 fighter jets to bomb the crap out of people.

Anyone know how much we spent on bombs in the last 13 years?
Id like to start a thread to whine about it.

CDNBear

Well now's the perfect time to cut it. Harper has a majority.
Will need more money for Bombs for them F-35 fighter jets to bomb the crap out of people.
anyone know how much we spend on bombs in the last 13 years?

I don't care. The topic is Margie Gillis.

Get a cat if you want to play Look over there>>>>>

Have you given up trying to find something to support your claims?

Angstrom

I don't care. The topic is Margie Gillis.

Get a cat if you want to play Look over there>>>>>

Have you given up trying to find something to support your claims?

yep. I had my fun you can go now.

CDNBear
+1

yep. I had my fun you can go now.

You get your kicks out of embarrassing yourself?

I thought cannuck was the only masochist on the board.

SLM
+1

One little fishy. Two little fishy.

Angstrom

What Can I say...
Dumb , narrow minded Conservative views make me laugh.

CDNBear

What Can I say...

Apparently nothing that supports your claims.

Quote:

Dumb , narrow minded Conservative views make me laugh.

Me too. Dumb, narrow minded people that making claims they can't support make me laugh even harder.

Thankfully I'm not a conservative, nor narrow minded. The aforementioned seem to think I am, only because, well, they are the aforementioned.

taxslave
+1

Its a Dancer's foundation. She help's young artists with workshops and grant money.
To help them on there way to making it big. Like with the Cirque du Soleil.

Actually she is making a good living for herself courtesy of the Canadian taxpayer. She has no obvious job skills except perhaps grant writing. And don't forget that she is only one of thousands sucking on the government ***. Not to mention all the snivel serpents that administer this waste of money .

Education is a provincial department. She got money from the Federal. Heritage Canada I bet.

Despite multiple levels of governments squandering cash there is only one level of taxpayer stuck with the bill. Now of course if you don't work and pay taxes this would not concern you.

Omicron
tunes.digitalock.com/goodvibrations.mp3 (external - login to view)

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

If it were up to me, Arts funding would be the first to go...

What a joy you would have been as policy adviser in the courts of ancient and middle-ages kings.
tunes.digitalock.com/crucifixion.mp3 (external - login to view)

King (to council): In the beginning I had to collect this level taxes in order to pay Forces required to defend against action-taking marauders.

Because the right guys to fight were hired, we were successful, such that nobody crosses our borders with malicious intent. To this day, those who try get killed. In anciet days, it was neanderthals trying to cross.

Consequently, agricultural output has tripled, such that now is being gathering three times more taxes than required to defend the borders. I see tax cuts. I can see a building up of the treasury in case of emergency like those endured in the times of Joseph. I am listening to suggestions; I am hearing advice.

Chief Internal Spy: The farmers are doing three times better, but the dreaming schmulches are still hungry. We can only eat so much food at court, and now because we are running an agricultural surplus we have to feed some of our best eggs to pigs. What if we fed the artists to do their best? At the very least it will cut the cost of law enforcement kicking people so hungry they don't care if they die.

King (to national book keeper): Given the current tax structure, what pays off better? Me cutting taxes to those farmers made so well under current policy, or keeping the existing tax-structure going and pay the surplus to get bumbs off the street, some of which might be useful for paintaing beautiful pictures and other great at doing statues?

NBK (National Book Keeper): I don't know.

King (back to CIS): Will the farmers care if they keep paying the same taxes, now that their productivity has gone up three times?

CIS advisor: They frankly couldn't give a ****-hoot as long as things are safe and secure and well taken care of. They are farmers, and they like to eat healthy food. It comes from a time when their families were hungry with maladjusted diets and...

King: In the mean time, because my court obviously needs some mathematical support here, none of you noticed how what I need to know is whether or not to spend this tax surplus on paying foof-fart artists able to do their thing. Options are we kill all the pretty dream-boys in order for my treasury to get larger, such that the farmers get richer insolong as they are never corporate owned, and when I cut their taxes, or the treasury bitches about not piling up as many numbers as it could, I will be forgiven by Satan.

(Suddenly out of nowhere appears the option of choosing one of three archangels... of which there are seven)

King: If you guys knew any women capable of recognizing anything close to the stuff required to kill Lucifer in order to change time-space you will see how the deal between God and Man was...

Okay... let's just knock it off. We are in a position to put Lucifer in a zoo, upon which all proper forms of respects shall be granted.

Court water bearer: In order ot maintain greatest order, it has been suggest by Colpy's sisters and ants that it be this:
tunes.digitalock.com/goodvibrations.mp3 (external - login to view)

tunes.digitalock.com/crucifixion.mp3 (external - login to view)

This song was create at the time of secret suppressed during the time of Canadian compliance to the cold-war issue.

In the mean time you pricks never got a picture about how me, the most worthless human below your super-muscular power, after I tried to take over everything...

I bet none of you know the difference between infinity verses a normal mathematical situation.

In the mean time, I did war against Lucifer when I put him into a zoo and it willl require as many goodness into each archangel.

Take your archangel type, feed it, and go to church.

Jesus mother ****ing holy Jesus Christ you guys are never going to believe this.

Lucifer just came into my mind and told me to let off.

I told him he doesn't get off unless and until the the Holey Mother aka Holey Ghost resolves.

There are seven archangels, each according to their kind. For me it's Tyrial. I have to be humble before him the big fat ****ing a-hole I can take with me into the net big dimension because he is not evil.

In the mean time... Think about it in terms of how much closer to infinity it is to well managed organization of guppies before a fish-tank.

Listen to me seriously.

Pretend yuo're a hyperspace being able to put yourself an your perfect love onto infinite love.

What do you do with Lucifer whining and asking to be saved? I did that with guppies crying to be left alive in a fish tank where I had been there I could have saved them from the way by science teacher thought they were garbage. Impossible. If my spiritual feeling gets through he's colonizing/populating one of those gazillion planets as big as Jupiter not orbiting a star wondering how the galaxy could have so much more gravitational power as the stars showed as if it were not possible for that much mass and dust to float around in the galay without being part of a star.

So... Did advertising get paid well enough to keep the grants going to be told how there was dark matter, or did it who the effects of a super-good cibilization seeing how to ... if not wacked out of its brains, then a perfect space explorer.

As if to pay for it there would be a problem with Monstanto sucking more energy out of food than it has yet figured how to suck energy from chloroplasts.

I keep thinking I could take a Monstando drone and turn 'it' into something useful.
Last edited by Omicron; Feb 18th, 2012 at 01:47 AM..

DaSleeper
+3
Wow!!!

CDNBear
+4
I don't know why law enforcement and health officials frown on the mix of meds and alcohol.

It's such an entertaining combination.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Wow!!!

Succinctly put!

I don't know why law enforcement and health officials frown on the mix of meds and alcohol.

I can't imagine why either.

Quote:

It's such an entertaining combination.

There are just no words to describe it.

Seriously, no words.

Colpy
+1

After watching those video you posted I have to say. She is rather good at her trade

But your right lets just go back to living in Caves and call it a day.

If I were a caveman, my ignorance would be an excuse to support this stuff. I would probably believe her a shaman, in communication with the gods, possessed by spirits, driving out demons or some other such mumbo-jumbo.

But I am not. I look at things critically, and this is crap. Nothing more than the dances I used to do to entertain and amuse my kids, and yes we jokingly called them "interpretive dance". They left my audience breathless....they were laughing so hard..

Please send me $100,000 this year.

There is only one question. Is this:

- stupidity

- insanity

- a con job

- overwhelming narcissism.

I suspect it is a mixture, the last option on the part of the "dancer", the first option on the part of those that support her.

Whatever it is, my tax dollars should NOT be supporting it. Not when we are going in the hole to the tune of tens of billions a year.

Now that is just crazy.