Arts Funding........Interview with Margie Gillis

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the interviewer was tacky and rude and Miss Gillis composed herself well in the face of such combativeness very well.

Would I have complained to a regulatory agency about it? I don't know... was it on a news program or an op/ed program?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think the interviewer was tacky and rude and Miss Gillis composed herself well in the face of such combativeness very well.

Would I have complained to a regulatory agency about it? I don't know... was it on a news program or an op/ed program?

Op/Ed......and I agree. I do think Miss Gillis was exceptionally graceful in the face of rude and uncompromising attack.

At the same time, I think Miss Gillis is a leech.........but obviously she doesn't see herself that way.

If it were up to me, Arts funding would be the first to go, along with athletics and multiculturalism grants..........

What the hell is the gov't doing funding "interpretive dance"????? What a joke!

And there are lots of leeches out there that know they are leeches......most of them are corporate. screw them too.

And I've actually heard of free speech. No call to a regulatory agency required.

Damn I'd love to run this country for a decade.

Or maybe Colpy, President for Life. :)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What the hell is the gov't doing funding "interpretive dance"?????

Why does the government fund anything?

Should the government fund writers? Musicians? Dancers? Museums? Theatres? Sports teams? the Olympics? Forestry workers? Summer jobs for students? women on maternity leave? people who get sick or disabled?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Op/Ed......and I agree. I do think Miss Gillis was exceptionally graceful in the face of rude and uncompromising attack.

At the same time, I think Miss Gillis is a leech.........but obviously she doesn't see herself that way.

If it were up to me, Arts funding would be the first to go, along with athletics and multiculturalism grants..........

I have to disagree about arts funding, as I don't think it is unnecessary, but, I do think it is one of the 'perks', and should be one of the first scaled back in times of desperation, which it currently is. 'Arts' is such a subjective thing, and we do have innovations that come forth from it. It is one of the many ways that societies communicate, and one of the levels on which the human brain functions. As such, you simply can't eliminate it and expect a healthy, balanced society. You need at least a bare minimum of funding to keep the education avenues of the arts and athletics, etc., open.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why does the government fund anything?

Should the government fund writers? Musicians? Dancers? Museums? Theatres? Sports teams? the Olympics? Forestry workers? Summer jobs for students? women on maternity leave? people who get sick or disabled?

No

No

No

Yes

no

No

No

Perhaps

Yes

Of course

Of course

:)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

It's a bit rich that any personality working for Quebecor would make a point about funding from the government...they might have a point if their media group didn't take funds from the government, but they have:
Canadian Heritage - The Honourable James Moore - News Releases/Statements

Not only that, but Krista Erickson made her name working for CBC.

That was a pathetic joke of infotainment...stupid media, so I posted it in the stupid media thread when I heard about it:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us-american-politics/100529-incidences-stupid-news-media.html

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
She considers herself to be a journalist? What a joke! I just wonder if she really believes on the trash coming out of her mouth or if she is simply doing it to be the centre of attention. The funny part is how she introduces Margie Gillis with all her achievements, yet this Krista Erickson character only accomplishment is to be a dumb blonde mannequin for the right wing stupidity. The left has it's share of crazies, but man!, the right seem to be overwhelmed by them...

I think that youtube comment says it all :lol: :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No

No

No

Yes

no

No

No

Perhaps

Yes

Of course

Of course

:)

Why?

She considers herself to be a journalist?

She's not a journalist, she, like all the other talking heads, is reading questions that have been written for her.

She's an actor, a spokesman, she's reciting the corporate line. That's what they all do. Don Cherry, Peter Mansbridge, Lloyd Roberston.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
YouTube - ‪Sun News "Interview" with Margie Gillis - part 1‬‏

YouTube - ‪Sun News "Interview" with Margie Gillis - part 2‬‏

What do you all think???

This interview generated thousands of complaints to the regulatory agency.......

Waht a first class B!tch!

First off, I Sun news invites her to speak to them, and she's kind enough to appear. And by the looks of it, she was led to believe she was there to descuss her art, not public funding for her art.

Secondly, the interviewer is right in her face and confrontational the whole way through. Total lack of tact and basic human courtesy.

Don't get me wrong. I do agree that we ought to cut all arts funding, and so on that frunt I do agree in principle with the interviewer that we ought to cut that funding. But that's not the way to get her point across. On that video she just comes across as a first-class B!tch!

And just another point. If the government gives me money, don't ask me why it did it, ask the government. You have every right to bitch and complain to the government about why it gave me X amount of cash. But if I have provided a service to the government for X amount of cash and the government agreed, that's not my problem. So why is Sun News bitching at the artist when it's government officials and not her who decided to give her themoney in the first place. Idiot!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That last part was badly explained by the dancer. It sounds like she's talking about theatre of the oppressed:

Theatre of the Oppressed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd been involved in it before myself, and it is valuable work. What is shameful is that the interviewer had not done her homework and was clueless about work involving theatre for peace. In fact, thatre of the oppressed has been used quite successfully among groups in conflict areas for years.

But again, if this is the quality of news Sun has to offer, I'm happy not to waste my time watching it. As much as I don't appreciate my tax dollars going to the arts (though I would make an exception for clearly defined objectives such as thatre of the oppressed and other forms of conflict resolution strategies), I'd far rather it go though than to that nuckle dragger at Sun News.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Simple solution. People who feel deeply about the arts, should fund it from their pockets. Not the public purse.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Simple solution. People who feel deeply about the arts, should fund it from their pockets. Not the public purse.

People who feel deeply about the arts, who are inclined toward the arts, are not necessarily aware of it, and wouldn't necessarily ever be nurtured in it, without first learning a bit about it. That's the tricky part. Without art teachers, you have no way of encouraging a troubled youth to try picking up a pencil. There is a basic level of art funding needed to keep its educational component alive.

trips overseas to dance? yeah, not so much. But basic education level funding, if it were to disappear, would be a huge disservice to numerous programs that currently exist. Art therapy and art outreach are ones for example, that I have seen work wonders to bridge cultural gaps between white and native students, and native students and their teachers. When you find that talent in a kid that the educational system had written off, and suddenly can make school worth his while, that's HUGE. And it's important for our society.