Police Officer Killed after being pinned under vehicle

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Homicide detectives are investigating after Const. Garrett Styles died of injuries he incurred when he was dragged and pinned under a vehicle during an early morning traffic stop north of Toronto. Styles, who would have celebrated his 33rd birthday on Sunday, was a seven-year veteran of the force, York Regional Police said in a release. He is survived by his wife Melissa, a civilian employee of the York Regional Police, and two children, aged 2½ and nine weeks.

Read more
A constant reminder that these fine people often are placed in harms way. Condolences to his family.

What a preventable tragedy this was.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Really, it's a tragedy the Young Offender didn't "know his rights". Panic or whatever ... he's hurt a lot of people and taken a life.

Rest in peace, Constable Styles....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
First of all, I hope the idiot gets tried as an adult. Criminal stupidity isn't an offence, but it should be.
Second, I hope all of the passengers spend a night in jail, too.
Third, I hope that the networks that like to show all of those police chase scenes are happy with this.

A lifetime ban on driving, and 5 years in prison would be a decent minimum sentence for this.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
First of all, I hope the idiot gets tried as an adult. Criminal stupidity isn't an offence, but it should be.
Third, I hope that the networks that like to show all of those police chase scenes are happy with this.

A lifetime ban on driving, and 5 years in prison would be a decent minimum sentence for this.

Not near enough. I'm thinking more like the sentence the cop got.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I didn't say anything. That you lump me in with someone disrespectful toward such a tragic and senseless is seriously messed up and presumptuous.

I actually wasn't addressing you Unf. I was addressing YukonJack.

I neither found your comment disrespectful or otherwise. If you thought my post came across that way I apologize, although, I just double checked and did not see a quote by you attached to my post.

Yukon Jacks "Legions of cop haters" comments seemed somewhat provocative and wholly unnecessary.

That is what I was addressing.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I actually wasn't addressing you Unf. I was addressing YukonJack.

I neither found your comment disrespectful or otherwise. If you thought my post came across that way I apologize, although, I just double checked and did not see a quote by you attached to my post.

Yukon Jacks "Legions of cop haters" comments seemed somewhat provocative and wholly unnecessary.

That is what I was addressing.

I know exactly what you were implying with the negative rep along with it. You should know better by now that I wouldn't be as spectacularly miserable to say something disrespectful about someone killed in the line of duty for Canada or in this case York region.

A cop dies, leaving a 9 week old kid and another just a few years old, young wife gets to deal with all of this, families shattered, kids hurt, parents ashamed and who knows what they must be going through over their 4 kids that were involved.

Get a god damned grip.
That was one nasty assumption you just made and you know it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I know exactly what you were implying with the negative rep along with it. You should know better by now that I wouldn't be as spectacularly miserable to say something disrespectful about someone killed in the line of duty for Canada or in this case York region.

I absolutely do.

A cop dies, leaving a 9 week old kid and another just a few years old, young wife gets to deal with all of this, families shattered, kids hurt, parents ashamed and who knows what they must be going through over their 4 kids that were involved.
I absolutely agree.

Get a god damned grip.
That was one nasty assumption you just made and you know it.
I made no such assumption and as for the negative rep, it was in error, but it seems that the initial post I was addressing has stirred up a lot of anger. So one last time. For the record. I was not addressing you. I was addressing YukonJack. I have not always agreed with you, but this is a misunderstanding. I would swear that on the heads of my children, because I know what I posted and what I meant and it was no ill words toward you.

If you can't take that at face value or my apology I am at a loss for what else to say.

I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut and ignored YJ's troll.

NOTE TO THE MODERATORS OF THIS SITE. FIX THAT **** THUMBS UP/DOWN BULL**** AND MAYBE **** LIKE WOULDN'T HAPPEN.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That is a very sad case, I'm not assuming anything about the 15 year old driver, but sure want to hear his explanation. Now there's two little kids with no Dad- can't get much sadder than that! :-(

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
That is a very sad case, I'm not assuming anything about the 15 year old driver, but sure want to hear his explanation. Now there's two little kids with no Dad- can't get much sadder than that! :-(

Its a sad waste all around. For the 15 year old as well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Have some facts come out that I haven't heard about? On the news out here tonight they were providing no details, so until then I'll just assume the throttle got stuck.