Loud female grunting is spoiling the game, says Wimbledon head

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Lol quiet bitches quiet, you spoiling the game bitches.

The pop of a ball hitting a racket, punctuated by a loud “gnnuh!” has become a familiar sound at professional tennis matches. But according to the head of Wimbledon, those high-pitched cries emitted by athletes are getting out of hand.

Female tennis players are spoiling the game with their loud grunts, Ian Ritchie, chief executive of the All England Lawn and Tennis Club, told The Daily Telegraph, noting that fans and tournament officials alike are becoming frustrated by the noises.

“We have discussed it with the tours and we believe it is helpful to reduce the amount of grunting,” Mr. Ritchie said.

He added: “...if you say ‘what do you get most letters about’, I would say that grunting is high up. So we are aware, whether you are watching it on TV or here, people don’t particularly like it.”

At the SW19 championships, Victoria Azarenka, from Belarus, measured 95 decibels with her grunts during her match against Magdalena Rybarikova of Slovakia. The length of each of her cries lasted at least 1.5 seconds, the Telegraph said.

According to the BBC , the practice of measuring the volume of grunts with a “gruntometer” was inspired by Monica Seles, who registered 93.2 decibels in 1992. A long line of grunting players has since followed suit, including Anna Kournikova, Lindsay Davenport, and Venus and Serena Williams. Maria Sharapova hit a record in 2009 with a 105-decibel yelp.

(The Daily Mail put this in perspective in a report last year by noting that a lion’s roar measures 110 decibels. At the time, tennis officials told the newspaper they were considering a ban on grunting.)

The frequency and volume of players’ grunts is considered even comical. (For more video evidence, check this and this out on YouTube.)

While some explain grunting is simply a natural release of energy, others suggest it’s a deliberate measure to intimidate or distract one’s opponent, and one that’s even encouraged by some tennis coaches.

Last year, a study by researchers from the University of Hawai’i at Manoa and the University of British Columbia offered evidence that tennis grunts do, indeed, interfere with an opponent’s performance.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Some of the men do it too, but their tones are easier on the ears, and federov, who has been the top
in the world for some time, (maybe not right now), plays very quietly, efficiently, and looks like
he is almost relaxed and enjoying himself.

when those particular women play,I don't watch, as I detest what they are doing, and yes,
it was monica seles who started it, not a sound other than a bit of huffing and puffing before that,
and now it has become an embarrassing display of distraction, done purely to put their competitor off
of her game.
I loved women's tennis before all of this tackiness.

If I do happen to watch, I just turn the volume way down, can't hear a thing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Grunting bitches are the first to die in battle. Never grit your teeth or grunt before you swing your sword. You'll only warn you opponent of a strike.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Grunting during tennis is unseemly. Those women are supposed to wear tight, semi-revealing outfits, and daintily act like the sex objects they are. Just like beach volleyball, where under Olympic rules the uniforms are to be as sexual as they can get away with.

Yeah, sports have come a long way, haven't they.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Grunting during tennis is unseemly. Those women are supposed to wear tight, semi-revealing outfits, and daintily act like the sex objects they are. Just like beach volleyball, where under Olympic rules the uniforms are to be as sexual as they can get away with.

Yeah, sports have come a long way, haven't they.

I'm thinkin' nudity here... Ratings would go through the roof and it's more than likely that no one would notice the grunting.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'd have to disagree. I was quite enjoying that asian grunter playing against Venus today.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think a lot of the grunting is done to play mindgames on the opponent. Certainly, there is no reason to be screeching/grunting as loud as some of the players do(both male and female). When I watch tennis, I watch it for the tennis itself(as I also play tennis, so I enjoy watching it when I can) not to see who can grunt the loudest. I find it to be a tad irksome to be honest.