Toronto Daycare Caterer Scammer

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Daycare caterer passes off meals from discount stores as organic, kosher, halal

The scammer herself

A Toronto catering company that claims to have fed one million of the “highest-quality” meals to Ontario children is a fly-by-night operation working out of a fast-food restaurant and passing off conventional or poorly cooked food as premium fare.

Whole Green Kids, which caters to preschool child-care centres and Montessori schools in the GTA and Ottawa, promising locally grown, organic, as well as kosher and halal meals, delivers virtually none of the above, a Star investigation has found.

Former employees and suppliers describe a company in chaos — buying no-name foods at discount groceries and skimping on both quality and portions.

The three-year-old firm is run by Susan Blouin, a gregarious, smooth-talking entrepreneur who, despite declaring bankruptcy four years ago owing $430,000, lives in a rented $2.2 million Georgian home in Thorncrest Village and drives a Porsche Cayenne SUV.

Blouin told the Star her company is an “awful mess” and she blames a “mutiny by staff” for the problems. She is trying to make improvements.

The rest: Daycare caterer passes off meals from discount stores as organic, kosher, halal - thestar.com

Canada is unfortunately full of scammers and it's a growing industry, but scams involving children is just the lowest. It reminds me vaguely of the Roma who travel throughout Europe in the summer who feed their children alcohol to make them sleep.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It reminds me vaguely of the Roma who travel throughout Europe in the summer who feed their children alcohol to make them sleep.

yeah, North Americans and Europeans tend to stick to allergy medicine, Gravol, or cough syrup for that. lol.

In reference to the actual issue though... Did anything she fed the kids actually put them at risk? Or was it merely the parents' preferences that were violated?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
These folks are beyond low!

You know, I've seen many a company where the owners live beyond their means while they ride their staff hard, pay poorly, etc, but I've never, fortunately, witnessed anything like this.

I wonder how they sleep at night.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Living in a $2.2 million home and has a Porsche? She must be feeding those daycare kids like they're Sumo wrestlers.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Canada is unfortunately full of scammers and it's a growing industry, but scams involving children is just the lowest. It reminds me vaguely of the Roma who travel throughout Europe in the summer who feed their children alcohol to make them sleep.

I just LOVE comments like this from expats.

EVERYWHERE is full "scammers", the way you put it makes it sound like Canada is unusual in that regard. The same with the assinine and bigoted comment concerning Roma, with no back up I might add. As Karrie said, the Roma are not alone in finding ways to "sedate" their children. Besides the ways Karrie listed, back 30 years ago and before, it was common for parents to use "Gripe water". The manufacturer finally took the alcohol out BECAUSE parents would use it to "help the baby sleep", not just for when they had colic.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

EVERYWHERE is full "scammers", the way you put it makes it sound like Canada is unusual in that regard. The same with the assinine and bigoted comment concerning Roma, with no back up I might add. As Karrie said, the Roma are not alone in finding ways to "sedate" their children. Besides the ways Karrie listed, back 30 years ago and before, it was common for parents to use "Gripe water". The manufacturer finally took the alcohol out BECAUSE parents would use it to "help the baby sleep", not just for when they had colic.

Gerryh, this kind'a reminds me of some of the "off the shelf" items available at one
time from the corner Drug Stores...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yup, been happening for generations all around the world, but those with narrow minds and limited knowledge always go off half cocked.

Randall

Jun 3, 2011
yeah, North Americans and Europeans tend to stick to allergy medicine, Gravol, or cough syrup for that. lol.

In reference to the actual issue though... Did anything she fed the kids actually put them at risk? Or was it merely the parents' preferences that were violated?

When I worked for WKG, there were ongoing problems with walk-in fridge and freezer being at higher temperature than they should have been, and a couple of instances of bad milk being delivered to a customer. Things got a bit better for a bit after she had a surprise health inspection in Ottawa in August, but not by much, and probably not for long.

Plenty of meat and other products were not organic, but Susan's official line was that she tries to use as much organic as possible but does not commit to any particular amount. A careful reading of her materials confirms this, only many customers were clearly under the impression that they were getting organic stuff.

I actually had parents and school staff tell me that WKG was much better than the previous caterer - although that might not be a great achievement. It does sound that WKG deteriorated since I left.

Not a big surprise - Susan did not believe in delegation and as her business expanded (it did for a while) things started getting rather disorganized.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

EVERYWHERE is full "scammers", the way you put it makes it sound like Canada is unusual in that regard. The same with the assinine and bigoted comment concerning Roma, with no back up I might add.

Argh, I knew there was going to be a comment about this. YES, I do have backup. I live in the very centre of Berlin and EVERY SINGLE DAY during the summer they are no more than 5 meters away from my terrace 7 floors down at the Stadtmitte metro station. I look below every time I'm outside and I see them every single day from April-ish to late August. So yes, I do have backup in the form of several police reports of me calling on behalf of the CHILDREN I see downstairs being abused and exploited. I see this every day, so don't tell me I'm bigoted. And by the way, the cops here do nothing to protect these children who are EU citizens.

The children I see are no more than 13-14 years old and sometimes as young-looking as 8! The 'mothers' who walk around "dooo youuu speeeek engleesh?" are on Friedrichstraße every day and their children are always drugged.

Not to mention the 12 year-old Roma hanging around trying to rob people at several ATMs on my own street.

With regards to Canada being a place easy on scammers, it's true. I visit Canada several times per year and my own brother has been caught up in a couple of scams where the authorities did absolutely nothing to thwart or punish the criminals.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Argh, I knew there was going to be a comment about this. YES, I do have backup. I live in the very centre of Berlin and EVERY SINGLE DAY during the summer they are no more than 5 meters away from my terrace 7 floors down at the Stadtmitte metro station. I look below every time I'm outside and I see them every single day from April-ish to late August. So yes, I do have backup in the form of several police reports of me calling on behalf of the CHILDREN I see downstairs being abused and exploited. I see this every day, so don't tell me I'm bigoted. And by the way, the cops here do nothing to protect these children who are EU citizens.

The children I see are no more than 13-14 years old and sometimes as young-looking as 8! The 'mothers' who walk around "dooo youuu speeeek engleesh?" are on Friedrichstraße every day and their children are always drugged.

Not to mention the 12 year-old Roma hanging around trying to rob people at several ATMs on my own street.

With regards to Canada being a place easy on scammers, it's true. I visit Canada several times per year and my own brother has been caught up in a couple of scams where the authorities did absolutely nothing to thwart or punish the criminals.

Your examples are anecdotal at best. They prove nothing about Canada in general or the Roma. Personal observation does not prove squat.

The fact that the Berlin police have done nothing about alcohol being given to children, if true, only proves that either the police don't give a damn or that German society does not feel it is important. In Canada, society has determined that alcohol of any kind given to a child is not permissible. I would say your "observations" are a poor reflection on Germany more than anything else.

So, before you start condemning Canada for anything, how about you look in your own back yard and do something about it first.