Seattle to pay $1.5 million to family of slain woodcarver

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

$1.5m seems rather paltry to me.

Yeah he was an alcoholic and partially deaf, and native. So what of it.

I wonder if it would be more if the victim was black or Hispanic (only because their 'voices' seem to be louder and squeakier)

Here's the video if you forgot about the story:

YouTube - ‪[BirkAction.com] Composite video of officer Ian Birk shooting of John T. Williams‬‏

Ending one chapter of a shooting that jolted the Seattle Police Department, the city has agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle claims brought by the family of John T. Williams, the First Nations woodcarver killed by a police officer.

The Aug. 30 shooting of Williams, a chronic street inebriate, was found to be unjustified by the Seattle Police Department's Firearms Review Board and led to the resignation of the officer, Ian Birk, earlier this year.

The agreement, announced Friday by the City Attorney's Office, followed a confidential mediation in which the city considered claims raised by Williams' mother and representatives of his estate.

No formal claim or lawsuit was filed by the family, although the family was prepared to file a federal suit.

more...

City to pay $1.5 million to family of slain woodcarver | Seattle Times Mobile

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I wonder if it would be more if the victim was black or Hispanic (only because their 'voices' seem to be louder and squeakier)

Here's the video if you forgot about the story:

YouTube - ‪[BirkAction.com] Composite video of officer Ian Birk shooting of John T. Williams‬‏

Ending one chapter of a shooting that jolted the Seattle Police Department, the city has agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle claims brought by the family of John T. Williams, the First Nations woodcarver killed by a police officer.

The Aug. 30 shooting of Williams, a chronic street inebriate, was found to be unjustified by the Seattle Police Department's Firearms Review Board and led to the resignation of the officer, Ian Birk, earlier this year.

The agreement, announced Friday by the City Attorney's Office, followed a confidential mediation in which the city considered claims raised by Williams' mother and representatives of his estate.

No formal claim or lawsuit was filed by the family, although the family was prepared to file a federal suit.

more...

City to pay $1.5 million to family of slain woodcarver | Seattle Times Mobile

You can't replace a life with money. Having said that if he had dependents the dependents are certainly entitled to have the loss of income replaced as the killing was unjustified. The question is how many dependents for how long a period.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
He had a a mother who did NOT depend on him for income. He was an alcoholic street bum, who had no occupation, only enough income to pay for his booze. Only an ultra-liberal place like Seattle would have even considered paying off this "family".

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Do you have any examples of the families of black or Hispanic victims receiving more compensation in similar cases to justify your feelings of discrimination?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
He had a a mother who did NOT depend on him for income. He was an alcoholic street bum, who had no occupation, only enough income to pay for his booze. Only an ultra-liberal place like Seattle would have even considered paying off this "family".
Only a heartless conservative would think the police killing someone in cold blood was worth nothing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You can't replace a life with money. Having said that if he had dependents the dependents are certainly entitled to have the loss of income replaced as the killing was unjustified. The question is how many dependents for how long a period.
In Canada orphan benefits for education last until the age of 25. I'm not sure how America works on something like that.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I suppose you think the cop should get a medal. F*cking moronic attitudes like yours are why these PIGS think this is ok.

I have to question if he got his pension etc and unemployment benefits for resigning instead of getting fired and sent down for murder, which is what should have happened!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

The guy wasn't doing anything and did not deserve to be gunned down. The cop should be charged have been charged with manslaughter at the very least.

Only a heartless conservative would think the police killing someone in cold blood was worth nothing.

Really, only a left wing Zealot would think such a thing. I know plenty of conservatives who think this was utter BS.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are people who got $12M a head for their lost kin. But that group seems to always get more than anyone else.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The guy wasn't doing anything and did not deserve to be gunned down. The cop should be charged have been charged with manslaughter at the very least.

Really, only a left wing Zealot would think such a thing. I know plenty of conservatives who think this was utter BS.
You are right. I was not trying to paint all with the same brush, just one known conservative. That is why I addressed it to him since he was trying to blame it on liberalism..