British soldiers blow up Taliban bombs that could have killed 100

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British soldiers have destroyed over 800kg of Taliban explosive in the Afghan desert.

The deadly haul was enough to kill 100 people.

The devices were destroyed last week by the British Counter IED team and Gurkhas and included over 60 detonators and mines.

It has also been revealed that last week British troops discovered a massive bomb-making factory in Helmand, where 34 IEDs were being produced.

The factory was uncovered after the Brigade Reconnaissance Force mounted an operation with soldiers from the Afghan National Army's 3 Kandak brigade.

Bombs blitzed

Brits blow up Taliban haul that could kill 100

Blast ... smoke fills the air as explosives are obliterated by British

From VIRGINIA WHEELER in Nad-e Ali North, Afghanistan
25th May 2011
The Sun

Fearsome British Army Gurkhas helped to destroy Taliban explosives

THIS is the moment when British troops destroyed enough Taliban bombs to kill 100 of our heroes.

More than 800kg of explosives were obliterated in the controlled blast in the Afghanistan desert - and blew evil insurgents' hopes of mass-slaughter to smithereens.

The devices, destroyed last week by the British Counter IED team and Gurkhas, included over 60 detonators and mines.

The Sun can also reveal our heroes last week uncovered a massive hidden bomb-making factory in Helmand - where 34 IEDs were being produced.

The chilling find in the Zumbalay area of Nahr-e Saraj North, was described by one source as a "stepping up" of the Taliban's killing campaign.

The factory was uncovered - and four suspected bomb-makers detained - after the Brigade Reconnaissance Force mounted an operation with soldiers from the Afghan National Army's 3 Kandak brigade.

Haul ... weapons found at the bomb factory

Their deadly find included 34 pressure plates to make IEDs, a suicide vest rig, rocket-propelled grenade and detonation cord. Sgt John Phillips, of the Royal Marines, said: "We didn't expect to find so many IED components and weapons. It's a great result and a great feeling for all the lads involved."

But the successes were last night marred by tragedy as it was revealed a British soldier had been killed by a Taliban bomb.

Lethal ... materials used for making bombs

The hero, from 1st Battalion, The Rifles, was in the Saidabad Kalay area of Nahr-e Saraj District as part of a foot patrol deployed to meet and talk to local people. A roadside bomb yesterday killed ten workers in southern Afghanistan.

- TERROR chief Mullah Omar has been confirmed to be alive after he was mistaken for another leader killed in a drone attack in Pakistan.

thesun.co.uk

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Hold your heads high members of the Commonwealth! The actions of many brave and well trained military from the Commonwealth nations daily perform acts of bravery, commitment and selflessness on our behalf. I am a former US military member with combat service. If I had a choice of any troops being at my side or behind me I'd choose any Commonwealth nation's military before I'd ever ask for another group. These dedicated men and women are the finest in the world and they are also the most practical thinkers I've ever spoken too.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Sometimes you just have to laugh.

There is no way that little cloud of smoke came from 800kg of explosives, maybe 8kg but not 800.

The huge weapons stash consists of 2 rifles, 6 clips, a small ammo belt(neither of those rifles could use it), a couple of flares, and an rpg without a launcher. I have seen much larger stashes in private homes in Canada and the US.

Hard to tell what all the blocks are but it sure don't look like det chord attached, more like electric detonators yet there is somebody standing right beside them in the hot sun. If these are homemade plastiques I wouldn't be that close to them, god knows how stable they are especially with detonators still in them.

Another great propaganda story!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You have a special way of measuring a cloud of smoke do you? Who blows up 800 kg of explosives all at once? Perhaps there is a larger picture of the whole weapons cache - but we're not seeing it.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You have a special way of measuring a cloud of smoke do you? Who blows up 800 kg of explosives all at once? Perhaps there is a larger picture of the whole weapons cache - but we're not seeing it.
You mean like those pictures of a dead OBL we won't ever see? I'm sure they are all safe somewhere right beside all the WMDs that were in Iraq.;-)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

There is no way that little cloud of smoke came from 800kg of explosives, maybe 8kg but not 800.

The huge weapons stash consists of 2 rifles, 6 clips, a small ammo belt(neither of those rifles could use it), a couple of flares, and an rpg without a launcher. I have seen much larger stashes in private homes in Canada and the US.

Hard to tell what all the blocks are but it sure don't look like det chord attached, more like electric detonators yet there is somebody standing right beside them in the hot sun. If these are homemade plastiques I wouldn't be that close to them, god knows how stable they are especially with detonators still in them.

Another great propaganda story!

Damn those Brits for getting rid of stuff that might have killed Nato soldiers or civilians. Bloody interlopers!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When you were getting certified as an expert on the FN1, didn't you learn how to visualize yardage?

Plastique (or C4) is stable, and detcord (Which is what that is), is safe, even in the hot sun. I used to carry detcord in a bag from the surface to the portal, down the lift, to the drift, meet the anfo loader and set charges, when I worked in mining. Before that, I hung out with EOD guys, because they like to blow sh!t up, and I like loud noises.

I used to love it when they made C4 balls and we'd whip them at the old cars, before setting the charges.

I agree 100%.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
When you were getting certified as an expert on the FN1, didn't you learn how to visualize yardage?

Plastique (or C4) is stable, and detcord (Which is what that is), is safe, even in the hot sun. I used to carry detcord in a bag from the surface to the portal, down the lift, to the drift, meet the anfo loader and set charges, when I worked in mining. Before that, I hung out with EOD guys, because they like to blow sh!t up, and I like loud noises.

I used to love it when they made C4 balls and we'd whip them at the old cars, before setting the charges.

I agree 100%.

Unstable C4.

Kind of like unstable arty rounds that aren't fused.

Hunka hunka clay.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How do we know its C4 wrapped up in those blocks??
How do you know it isn't? You can't even visualize yardage, correctly ID detcord, or know that it isn't anymore hazardous in the sun, than it is in the shade.

If it is how did they get it?
You're kidding right? Didn't you say you knew people in Canada and the US with RPG's?

I know where to get fully automatic weapons. If I wasn't an Apple, I bet I could get C4, with the right amount of cash, from the same guys.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Where did I say I knew people with RPGs??? I said I knew people with more weapons than they are showing as a stash.

I`ll retract it, although you alluded to it, IMHO.

So, do you still think that`s just a small puff of smoke in the OP?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Any day our troops or allies can find the weapons of the enemy and destroy them is a good day
Personally I don't care how large the find was, what I am pleased with is the fact they fount the
weapons and destroyed them. Of course no one weighed the weapons and explosives it could
be more or less, an estimate is good enough.