Should smoking be banned on public beaches?

mentalfloss

Should smoking be banned on public beaches?

It's usually the drinking - mixed with driving and boating - that gets all the attention on this, the first Canadian holiday weekend of the summer.

But in Vancouver, it's the smoking that will get you into trouble, if you try to light up on a beach or public park.

So far, the park rangers who have to enforce the nine-month-old bylaw have had few problems - only five tickets have been issued - but this weekend was considered a major test, according to media reports.

Glen Schultz, a supervisor of Vancouver's beaches, told News 1130 that bylaw officers are being patient with smokers. "We're just going to ask people politely. We're not going to make a big deal out of it, but certainly if we get a complaint we will go over and deal with it." According to the CBC, people caught breaking the no-smoking bylaw could face a minimum fine of $250 for a first offence and up to $2,000 for subsequent offences.

Second-hand smoke aside, for those of us who can't understand why cigarette butts aren't considered litter by many, this looks like a welcome development.

Cigarette butts in the sand are pretty nasty, no?

Has Vancouver made the right call here? Have you been bothered by smoking on a beach or public park?

Should smoking be banned on public beaches? - The Globe and Mail

CDNBear
+2
Wow, more rights infringement from the left coast.

petros
Smokers have rights? Cigarettes butts are the worlds number one form of litter.

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Smokers have rights?

Smoking isn't an illegal activity.

Colpy
+2
It is ludicrous............nanny-state jack booted control freaks on the loose.....

Thank God I don't smoke anymore.

petros
+1
Legality all depends on age of smoker and location. Littering is illegal and butts are indeed litter.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

It is ludicrous............nanny-state jack booted control freaks on the loose.....

You can still litter equally though so don't feel left out.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Depends on what you are smoking. At least in Vancouver they no longer discriminate your choice of smoke.
Soon the nanny state goons will dictate how much air you can breath on a public beach as well.

pgs
[QUOTE=taxslave;1431453]Depends on what you are smoking. At least in Vancouver they no longer discriminate your choice of smoke.
Soon the nanny state goons will dictate how much air you can breath on a public beach as well.[/QUOTT
The unionized bylaw officers won't be on the beach in this weather anyway,so it is a moot point.
Maybe they might be though as they would have less if they were to be doing their normal ticketing of parked cars.
Sounds like a good idea to create more beauracrats,nothing more.

bill barilko
Smokers here are thin on the ground-generally they are older men who look like they don't have long to live.

I'm surprised though at the numbers of people in low wage service jobs who smoke-it's an expensive habit.

Walter
+2
What should be illegal on public beaches is fat girls wearing bikinis.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

What should be illegal on public beaches is fat girls wearing bikinis.

Works for men too

YouTube - NAKED -- Don39t Look Good Naked Any More

Machjo
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

What gave you the insane idea of starting to smoke in the first place?

And as for nanny-statism, I'll just say that your right to smoke stops at my nostrils. It stinks!

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Depends on what you are smoking. At least in Vancouver they no longer discriminate your choice of smoke.
Soon the nanny state goons will dictate how much air you can breath on a public beach as well.

Tell me about it. Cig smoke never killed any kids at the beach yet eh. All I have to say to those kids' parents is: toughen the f***k up! We all die sooner or later from something anyway, so it might as well be cancer.

I'm absolutely for freedom here. If non-smokers can't stand all the smoke, nobody's forcing them to stay. Besides, isn't that what inhalers are for?

PoliticalNick
+1

Nope, but littering is. I still field strip my butts and dispose of them in the garbage but most don't so I can understand the issue of the litter problem.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Have you heard of the Carbon Tax?? CO2 is taxable...stop breathing and save some cash!

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

What gave you the insane idea of starting to smoke in the first place?

And as for nanny-statism, I'll just say that your right to smoke stops at my nostrils. It stinks!

You have every right to go where I am not smoking. If you don't want to move, put up with it.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

You have every right to go where I am not smoking. If you don't want to move, put up with it.

I absolutely agree. So if I'm at the beach with the family, and suddenly a large group comes in and starts puffin', it's up to me to pack us all up and move away to avoid the stench.

Ah those nanny-statists. can't smoke in buses, schools, hospitals, restaurants, etc. It's just ridiculous. Can't stand the stench? Carry an inhaler. Problem solved.

PoliticalNick

I absolutely agree. So if I'm at the beach with the family, and suddenly a large group comes in and starts puffin', it's up to me to pack us all up and move away to avoid the stench.

Ah those nanny-statists. can't smoke in buses, schools, hospitals, restaurants, etc. It's just ridiculous. Can't stand the stench? Carry an inhaler. Problem solved.

You could always take up smoking, it contributes to the overall economy in taxes, healthcare jobs, jobs for immigrants, and has the added bonus you won't notice the smell anymore.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

You could always take up smoking, it contributes to the overall economy in taxes, healthcare jobs, jobs for immigrants, and has the added bonus you won't notice the smell anymore.

Well there ya go! You see, there really is no need for all this nanny-statist mumbo jumbo if you take it upon yourself to solve the problem. You smoke yourself, and you don't notice the stink anymore.

Or alternatively, if we just eliminated all smoking bans, that too would help. The only reason they notice the stench of smoke on the beach is because they're not exposed to it enough. Remove all restrictiosn in restaurants, shops, planes, trains, etc. we'd soon all become so decensitized to it we wouldn't notice it anymore.

JLM
No...........

TenPenny
I'm a non-smoker, but this is silly. I've been at lots of beaches, there's almost always a breeze, smoking is such a minor thing that it's absolutely silly to outlaw it.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I'm a non-smoker, but this is silly. I've been at lots of beaches, there's almost always a breeze, smoking is such a minor thing that it's absolutely silly to outlaw it.

Depends how many people are smoking on that beach.

TenPenny
+1

Depends how many people are smoking on that beach.

Oh come on. How many people are going to be smoking? It's not like it's Montreal, for god's sake.

CUBert

It should be

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by CUBertView Post

It should be

Deeply insightful opinion

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Deeply insightful opinion

Post #1431610 - Re: Should smoking be banned on public beaches? Bad CUBert

A neg for that?.....somebody steal your lolipop at school today?????

Must realy piss you off that you can't give me a second one because it's a single post heh??

Tonington
+3
#23  Top Rated Post
They should give them a roped off area, and something to butt out in...maybe one of those garbage bins with sand on the top for an ashtray

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

They should give them a roped off area, and something to butt out in...maybe one of those garbage bins with sand on the top for an ashtray

Like those who blame Tim Hortons for litter, you have to separate the littering from the smoking, they're two separate issues.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

You got that right, just some "muscle flexing" by some holier than thou who probably quit smoking last week.

Machjo
What's wrong with chew? Provide spitunes.

damngrumpy
+1
I smoked for years and I can't believe I was that dumb, my wife smoked too and ended up
with COPD big time. Smoking is a serious problem and a cost to our medical insurance
program. Having said that, it is legal and will be for a long time. In fact if it were to be not
legal, more people would smoke. I love the bit society hands us about young people and
smoking, the numbers are way down. Sure they are down, its illegal until 19 in BC so the
teens tell the survey people no we don't smoke. They do its just that they are not going to
admit to doing something illegal.
In addition smoking is a part of the social ills and it won't stop because we make it expensive
or inconvenient, the more you restrict it the more people continue smoking. They have turned
on the bar crowd too. The driving tolerance level is reduced and the smoking is outlawed in
the pubs and bars. The latest trend creeping forward is the hide aways, they were called
speak easies during prohibition and they are starting here and there. Smoking on the beach
will be somewhat controlled but will never be stomped out. Here again the do gooders of
our society have decided what is best for you and of course they know everything so there
should be no problem. Ya right.

Tonington
Sand for two, smoking section please. Refer to current local weather conditions for seating arrangements.

CUBert
marijuana is illegal why are cigarettes not?

YukonJack

What's wrong with chew? Provide spitunes.

I remember them in corners on the factory floor. I remember some some of my fellow workers who could spit right in the middle of one from thirty feet.