Catholics blame Woodstock for abuse!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The rise in abuse cases in the 1960s and 1970s was influenced by social factors in American society generally. This increase in abusive behavior is consistent with the rise in other types of ‘deviant’ behavior, such as drug use and crime, as well as changes in social behavior, such as an increase in premarital sexual behavior and divorce.
Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
unFreakin' believable! That has to be the biggest cop out of all time.

Sexual deviancy in the church has been there almost since the beginning. It corresponds to sexual deviancy in society in general, and aristocracy in particular (since many of the upper echelons of the clergy came from the aristocracy) for the past 2 thousand years.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
So it all comes back to me eh. I knew at some point they would figure it out. I guess the priest was right as he was yelling after me "It's the little guy, he causes all the problems"

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's not what the report said, but why let facts get in the way of your hatred.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's not what the report said, but why let facts get in the way of your hatred.
You're surprised?

"Can't actually support your position with facts? Just make it up, some morons will believe you, instead of reading the actual report themselves."

Happens all the time. That's why groups like "Sovereign Citizens" and other fringe law idiot groups. are able to con so many morons into believing their crap.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well it is fact that the Church did hippy out in the 60's and 70's. I saw it. Hippy Mass with the folk group singers was at 11:00 at Sacred Heart

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I knew this thread would get you going Gerry. 8O

Funny, I thought this was the big 'cop-out'

-Features and characteristics of the Catholic Church, such as an exclusively male priesthood and the commitment to celibate chastity, were invariant during the increase, peak and decrease in abuse incidents, and thus are not causes of the ‘crisis.’

It was the culture of the time was their excuse.

I don't hate the catholic church, strongly dislike yes, pity the fools yes, hate no. Of course I think I have some valid reasons to dislike and distrust them. :p

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yes. I'm sure you'll have trouble believing this, but some people actually like facts, and don't formulate opinions, based on the make believe.

So do you think a study done by the church, who denied this was even an issue for years, should be considered factual?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So the catholic church annouced the results of a $1.8 million study today that says the cultural climate of the 60's & 70's was responsible for all the sexual abuse in the church and it had nothing to do with homosexuality or the celibate lifestyle of the priest

I'm not surprised. The whole tone of the Catholic Church seems to be that you can do whatever you want, to whoever you want, as long as you sit in a phone booth and confess, and then say some meaningless **** prayers as penance. There's always someone else to blame, and all you have to do is confess, and the world is made whole.

At least they no longer allow you to purchase indulgences ahead of time for the sins you plan to commit.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well it is fact that the Church did hippy out in the 60's and 70's. I saw it. Hippy Mass with the folk group singers was at 11:00 at Sacred Heart
My brother and I actually were part of one of those folk singing groups that performed at Sunday masses back in the sixties in our town of Saint Bruno Quebec. I thought it was great that they would try to reach out to the younger generation like that. And I was a hippy back then.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So do you think a study done by the church, who denied this was even an issue for years, should be considered factual?
More factual than the bulk of your posts.

There's always someone else to blame, and all you have to do is confess, and the world is made whole.
Ummm, if I pointed out how confessing is taking personal responsibility. Would I get a reply sans the usual contempt?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Ummm, if I pointed out how confessing is taking personal responsibility. Would I get a reply sans the usual contempt?

That's not taking responsibility, that's confessing to someone who won't actually ask you to do anything to make restitution or resolve the situation.

It's like confessing over the internet. Completely ****ing meaningless, except in the eyes of some mythical being.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My brother and I actually were part of one of those folk singing groups that performed at Sunday masses back in the sixties in our town of Saint Bruno Quebec. I thought it was great that they would try to reach out to the younger generation like that. And I was a hippy back then.
Some just reached out a little too far to youth.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's like confessing over the internet. Completely ****ing meaningless, except in the eyes of some mythical being.
To you or I, but to devout catholics, it holds greater meaning. In matters of theology, perspectives matter.