Girl Named "Like," Previous Girl named "Facebook," in Egypt, Zero For Two In Mideast

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Girl Named "Like," Previous Girl named "Facebook," in Egypt, Zero For Two In Mideast

Typical for the Mideast. So, how is Israel different from its neighbours in this instance?

The Facebook Like Inspires Baby Name

The Facebook Like Inspires Baby Name

First there was baby “Facebook” and now this: an Israeli couple has named their kid “Like.” Let the Valley Girl jokes ensue.

The Israeli news source Galgalatz reports that Lior and Vardit Adler are the proud parents of a bouncing baby girl named after the

Facebook Like button, which recently celebrated its first birthday.

Apparently, the parents were looking to call their daughter something unique. The moniker is not meant to be a gimmick, and they say that they’re not shilling for Facebook. They just like (pun intended) the meaning behind the name.

The Adlers are hardly the first people to saddle their kid with a suspect name. One man offered to name his son Batman if he could get 500,000 people to become fans of his Facebook Page, and another couple named their child Facebook in honor of the role the social network played in the revolution in Egypt.

Granted, naming your child something unusual is not relegated to the realm of social media — apparently “Brooklyn” is an extremely popular name — but the name choice certainly is out there.

What do you think? Would you “Like” the name Like?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Re: Girl Named "Like," Previous Girl named "Facebook," in Egypt, Zero For Two In Mide

What I'd like is to see some people pull their damn heads away from Facebook and get back into reality.

Your children are not a commodity or some gimmick you can screw around with for your own amusement..... my only argument?

Have you ever had to go through school with people making fun of your name? If you haven't, then I know for sure you came across someone in your class who did...... now think about what these kids will go through...... calling your kid "Facebook" or "Like" is no better then naming your kid "Apple", "Hitler" or "Aryan Nation" or however you spell it.

You're not being smart, you're just being a f*ck-wit.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Re: Girl Named "Like," Previous Girl named "Facebook," in Egypt, Zero For Two In Mide

I'm kinda fond of Pisspants and Snotnose

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

What I'd like is to see some people pull their damn heads away from Facebook and get back into reality.

Your children are not a commodity or some gimmick you can screw around with for your own amusement..... my only argument?

Have you ever had to go through school with people making fun of your name? If you haven't, then I know for sure you came across someone in your class who did...... now think about what these kids will go through...... calling your kid "Facebook" or "Like" is no better then naming your kid "Apple", "Hitler" or "Aryan Nation" or however you spell it.

You're not being smart, you're just being a f*ck-wit.

Or how about Nicolas Cage naming his kid Kal-el?:roll:

It's kinda cute.

I'm sure the child won't find it so cute when she gets older.;)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc

I think we have to have some protection for kids from parents who are not with
us mentally. Look at the Jackson kid he ended up with the name Blanket. This
is truly unfair to a child, sure its alright to have a unique and different name but
it should also be a name that is something they can live with throughout their
lives.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'm sure the child won't find it so cute when she gets older.;)

Why not? It's not like she's English. It could probably pass as a real name somewhere in the world. Beats Facebook.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Why not? It's not like she's English. It could probably pass as a real name somewhere in the world. Beats Facebook.

Well you see, it seems highly unlikely that an Arab family would waste the name Like on a boy when they could call him Mohammed, like all the other boys in their town, city, country, region. I think boys get these crap names much less. Another reason to write off this part of the world like so many people do.