Happy Off The Deep End Thursday!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I play music and so I get hit by a phrase or riff in a song that I can't get over until I learn the song or make some arrangement of it that I can play out. So bear with me while I take you through this goofy thing I found so amusing.

First off, I assume most of you know this song or at least have heard it at some point. It's called Keep Me Hanging On. Comes out of Motown written by Holland–Dozier–Holland who were a tour de force back then. I imagine you've heard Diana Ross and the Supremes perform this song.

So here are the lyrics to this song which is important to understand what I find so funny about this whole thing.

Set me free, why don't cha babe
Get out my life, why don't cha babe
'Cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on
You don't really need me
But you keep me hangin' on

Why do you keep a coming around
Playing with my heart?
Why don't you get out of my life
And let me make a new start?
Let me get over you
The way you've gotten over me

Let me be, why don't cha babe
Now you don't really want me

You say although we broke up
You still wanna be just friends
But how can we still be friends
When seeing you only breaks my heart again
And there ain't nothing I can do about it

Woo, set me free, why don't cha babe
Woo, get out my life, why don't cha babe
Get out my life, why don't cha babe

You claim you still care for me
But your heart and soul needs to be free
Now that you've got your freedom
You wanna still hold on to me
You don't want me for yourself
So let me find somebody else Hey!

Why don't you be a man about it
And set me free
Now you don't care a thing about me
You're just using me
Go on, get out, get out of my life
And let me sleep at night
You just keep me hangin' on...

Now if you've read all that, you can probably see just how sad a song it is. Very sorrowful lyrics that reveal the pain and anger that someone going through a situation like that must feel and the helplessness of not being able to let go themselves even though they want to and know they should. Helpless and twisting in the wind. Wow! That part of the song really struck me. Slow, in a simple arrangement accompanied by piano, this is a tear jerker if ever I heard one.

So now having said that, watch the Diana Ross sing this sucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RabQLuj4N8

Happy as can be! Oh Boy, what a treat for any girl. Huh? Wink?? wtf is going on there? How can you be so happy and understand what the song is about without being totally detached from it? So that's the first thing I found funny about this song.

Second thing I found in researching this song touches on one of my main tenants in drug use.
Cannabis is a wonderful tool to aid in opening up new ideas in creative thinking. Many many days I have spent enjoying some weed and creating little bits of this or that which I can later return to and develop when I am in a more sober and technical frame of mind. I always felt that you don't play as well when you're high and drawing from memory a song you have down. Creative use yes, performance no.

So check out The Vanilla Fudge in their rendition of Keep Me Hangin On. Check that bass player out and the drumming. wtf is that all about? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aWFaZgwerY

I can see how cool that must feel when you're baked out of your tree but hells bells, there are some basic mistakes that are due only to a lack of inhibitions. Entertaining yes, but jumpin Jesus, this is over the edge. Again, the meaning and feel of the song is lost in the performance in my opinion, the dancers look almost like they were added on at the last minute. Well they ended the song right on cue so kudos there. But I find this performance just kills me.

Maybe it doesn't strike you the same way as me but if so, enjoy. heh heh

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Growing up we had a Disney video that was set to this song, assorted 'unrequited love' scenes from different Disney cartoons and movies. It probably did the topic more justice than those two videos could hope to.