General opinion on Greatest Hits and Best Of compilations.

changoo

Nominee Member
Nov 25, 2010
I think a greatest hits album is a good way to introduce someone to a band or to complete a collection. There have been some so/so collections and some decent ones.

What is your favorite and least favorite?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Greatest hits albums are for the most part over rated. When I get to introduce especially a younger
generation to some of the history makers I like to play some of those great album cuts that never
saw a chart position ever. I have grandchildren some producing their own music and in their own
bands, in fact one is putting a band together in Vancouver these days. A couple of years ago he
heard a song by the Carlos Santana, I played him some of album cuts and he preferred them to the
commercial hits.
As for some of the great collection Chicago, Queen Doobie Brothers, Rolling Stones Credence
Grand Funk Railroad, Harry Chapin Jim Croce Paul Simon The Bee Gees Their early stuff was
good stuff. Roy Orbison, Del Shannon Neil Sedaka Johnny Burnett, There was even the first
album of Richie Valens, that I have and of course Buddy Holly
That should get some of this started I have those and others in my record collection you heard right
old records.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
No Stranger to the Dark - The Best of Greg Allman

While technically not a "greatest hits compilation", Red Rider - The Symphony Sessions had all the hits done uniquely. I guess the same could be said for all the "Unplugged" albums.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Damngrumpy: You better digitise those before they deteriorate too much....
This old friend I meet every year on the festival circuit, sings all these flip sides numbers and it's realy nice....you know you've heard the song before but can't really pinpoint where.....and he adds about a dozen to his repertoire every year...Great old guy!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
"Stepping Out" - The Best of Joe Jackson.

I bought it for a couple of songs that I knew and it quite literally opened me up to whole genres of music I never considered before.