writers in all areas of music. At one time or another all these artists
have a hit that is really over rated. I think many of the Beatles songs
were over rated, as nostalgia let them live on, and hype made them
famous.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Without a doubt, John Lennon (Lenin??) for the "song" he himself presents in his whining, screeching fashion, (vote for most overrated singer, anyone?), IMAGINE.

This piece of idealistic nonsense promotes unrest, disturbance and anarchy, and is totally devoid of any decent human values.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Without a doubt, John Lennon (Lenin??) for the "song" he himself presents in his whining, screeching fashion, (vote for most overrated singer, anyone?), IMAGINE.

This piece of idealistic nonsense promotes unrest, disturbance and anarchy, and is totally devoid of any decent human values.

I completely agree, imagining a world of peace and harmony is a horrible concept, an insult to human values.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
For those who tried to refute what I said, here are the lyrics of Lennon's song:

Title: John Lennon - Imagine lyrics

Artist: John Lennon Lyrics

"Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one."

OK, let's go stanza by stanza, line by line:

No Heaven, no Hell. So believe whatever you want, do whatever you want, ther is no reward for good and punishment for bad. Just the empty air over our heads! And of course, live for today, ignoring history and the Hell with the future! What a novel concept!

No countries to die for! How does this square with the uber patriots? No Canada? Then why are we celebrating the sacrifice of our fallen every year on November 11th? If Churchill had been alive, I am sure he would have roundly condemned this nonsense, bordering on treason. And of course the only religions he was dreaming of and would have tolerated would be ATHEISM and COMMUNISM.

Dreamer? Hardly! More like delusional. World as one? Like oil and water don't mix, neither do those who produce the wealth and those who are hell bent on taking it and giving it to the free-loaders.

As a multi-millionaire Lennon was the epitome of hypocrisy. No possessions? Did he ever experienced hunger? He sure was a poster boy for greed. And it is a public record that he shared a precious little with those who pretended to speak for.

Yes, the world will live as one if and when the vision of John Lennon is fulfilled: In abject poverty!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I've heard it said that Lennon was writing of a view of an unconditional Heaven. What a crime, eh?

BTW, Jack, as a tract kid, growing up in Liverpool during WW2, I'm sure he "did without" a time or two....

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No Heaven, no Hell. So believe whatever you want, do whatever you want, ther is no reward for good and punishment for bad. Just the empty air over our heads! And of course, live for today, ignoring history and the Hell with the future! What a novel concept!

That's much healthier than believing you have to have some whacko in a closet forgive you for any imagined 'sins' you might have performed, else suffer eternal damnation and burn in a fire for ever.

Which one is delusional?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's much healthier than believing you have to have some whacko in a closet forgive you for any imagined 'sins' you might have performed, else suffer eternal damnation and burn in a fire for ever.

Which one is delusional?

Both are interesting concepts, problem is no one knows if either one is right. :smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
TenPenny, what escaped your tunnel vision is that Lennon was NOT referring to Heaven and Hell in the religious sense. He wanted EQUALITY, regardless of merit/blame.

He was truly delusional.

BTW, how about refuting any of the other points I made - using his own words - about this hypocrite that only a communist can love?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
First line/word of the song.....

Imagine

Does that say go out and do or just think about what it would be like?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... imagining peace and an end to tribalism causes anarchy? LOL!!! "Hey maybe we could be better." "Don't say that society will crumble!!!!"

LOL... Merry Christmas, and something to all. Normally I'd say peace and goodwill, but I'd hate to drive you all into anarchist rages.