Rented any good movies lately?

joeyr

Feb 13, 2010
Montreal
I'm making up a list of movies I want to rent, looking for some suggestions. Not only looking for new, old ones as well.
Some on my list now (haven't seen or want to see again):

Breakfast at Tiffany's
Matrix
Saturday night fever
Fanboys
Ronin
2012 (once it comes out)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I recently watched Blindness starring Julianna Moore.
It is a Canadian/Japanese/Brazilian co production which gives it a very unique style and feel. Some of it was rather diturbing and kind of hard to sit through as it deals with the lowest common denominator of human survival. I did like it despite that and highly recommend it.

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
Do NOT waste your money on "The Hangover". The only funny parts are the ones you see in the movie trailer.

joeyr

Feb 13, 2010
Montreal
Peaceful Warrior
Last of the Mohegans
The Mission,
Tombstone
Playing for Change
Very nice, saw a couple of those already, but worth seeing again, thanks!

I recently watched Blindness starring Julianna Moore.
It is a Canadian/Japanese/Brazilian co production which gives it a very unique style and feel. Some of it was rather diturbing and kind of hard to sit through as it deals with the lowest common denominator of human survival. I did like it despite that and highly recommend it.

I actually overlooked that movie when a making my rental picks, but I'll be sure to add it to the top of my list :smile:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
our local rogers video store closed down, so we can't rent anything.:roll::-(

TheJokkette

Mar 2, 2010
Calgary
The Road and Defendor are being released in April, I highly recommend those two films.
Old Boy is a foreign pyschological drama. It is quite different from mainstream hollywood media, but really worth a watch.
I also recommend, The Hurt Locker, The Darjeeling Limited, The Royal Tenenbaums, Stuck On You and Rescue Dawn.

joeyr

Feb 13, 2010
Montreal
our local rogers video store closed down, so we can't rent anything.:roll::-(
I can sympathize on that one, just moved to the outskirts of Montreal and there's only one small video store nearby (actually it's just a dépanneur that rents out a few movies), so I just get mine from the mail. Actually, the list I'm making from these suggestions is on Kaku.ca maybe you should try them out?!

@eh1eh -> Blindness was really good, thanks for the recommendation!!! ( just make a review on it too lol Blindness-Kaku.ca )

@TheJokkette -> Old boy sounds good, I like those kind of off beat movie, i don't see it on the site I'm with, will have to request them to get it for me :)
I've also added "The Darjeeling Limited" and "Rescue Dawn"
I'll keep an eye out for those april releases, but I know the wifey has her heart set on getting new moon as soon as that comes out....eesh...
Thanks!!

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
moon was good

th time travelers wife was very good
Sin city has a cortoon style not bad
surrogates was pretty good
Pandorium was very good
Jennifers body ........nah

joeyr

Feb 13, 2010
Montreal
moon was good

th time travelers wife was very good
Sin city has a cortoon style not bad
surrogates was pretty good
Pandorium was very good
Jennifers body ........nah

Actually saw Sin City and liked it a lot, good suggestion if anyone else reads this :) As for the others, didn't see, I guess I'll hold off on Jennifer's body then, I had that one on my list... Thanks!

TheJokkette

Mar 2, 2010
Calgary
A couple of my personal favourites, which you can easily go to imdb for are, In Bruges, Half Nelson, The Family Stone, Capote, Thank Your for Smoking, Brick, Children of Men and Memento.
I also watch foreign films every now and then, some I enjoy are, Amores Perros, Pan's Labyrinth, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Memories of Murder.

I watch a lot of movies.

MarceTou

Apr 28, 2010
Lac Saint-Jean
I just watched "truffe" with Roy Dupuis, if your from quebec, you must speak French...I'd suggest watching that one, it's a really off beat look at how corporations can take control of local citizens, actually it's really messed up, but still good :)
C.R.A.Z.Y. is another good Quebecois one.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Old movies- Let's try

Seven Samurai
Romeo and Juilet (1968)
The Great Dictator
Bonnie and Clyde
Paths of Glory

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Gone Baby Gone - cop flick with some major twists starring Casey Affleck and Morgan Freeman. Really makes you think.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father - documentary covering a murder in the US by a woman from Nfld who was pregnant and gave birth to the victim's son. Details the whole process of the investigation and extradition but there is more to it... a lot more. The story, if you don't know it, hits you like a sucker punch to the gut. Heartbreaking but very well done.

Good Will Hunting - Matt Damon, Robin Williams, Ben Affleck. I almost have a man crush on Matt Damon: I juts love his movies and this one is one of the best.

my wife and I saw a cute one last night too...

Love Actually - Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Kiera Knightly. Comedy about a bunch of people and their romantic trials at Christmas.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I watched "In The Loop" about American and British politicians and their spin doctors dealing with a potential Middle Eastern war that was fabricated on a rumour.

It was really funny.