Earplugs and hearing damage

Wreck

Apr 1, 2009
Does anyone wear earplugs when they go out to a concert or gig? Do you ever come home with ringing in year ears if you don't?

If you choose not to wear earplugs, why not? Do you worry they'll muffle sound?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Last concert I went to was Lollapalooza(the one with Hole) and I did not wear earplugs. It was an outdoor concert and I was far enough away that the noise was not a factor(for ear damage).

Wreck

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks.

Yeah I was walking down Granville Rd the other day while there were some stages set up in the middle of the road for Junofest, and I saw a lot of people walking past with their hands over their ears. There was some pretty serious volume coming out of those tents and I wasn't even in the line of fire. The tents were full of people too. There's going to be a generation of people with stuffed hearing before too long if people don't start using some sort of protection.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thanks.

Yeah I was walking down Granville Rd the other day while there were some stages set up in the middle of the road for Junofest, and I saw a lot of people walking past with their hands over their ears. There was some pretty serious volume coming out of those tents and I wasn't even in the line of fire. The tents were full of people too. There's going to be a generation of people with stuffed hearing before too long if people don't start using some sort of protection.

It's not just in music venues that hearing protection is needed. It is mandatory to use hearing protection at the factory that I am a guard at. It can get pretty loud in there during production!

Wreck

Apr 1, 2009
What sort of hearing protection do they get you to use if you don't mind me asking? Foam earplugs, earmuffs, or something else? And are they any good?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What sort of hearing protection do they get you to use if you don't mind me asking? Foam earplugs, earmuffs, or something else? And are they any good?

There are various choices(you are allowed to pick which one you want to use). There are the soft plastic ones that hang on a string around your neck, the foam earplugs(two versions), and you can use earmuffs if you wish. I prefer to use the soft plastic ones myself, as it is convenient to use as you can leave them around your neck when not using them(plus they are reusable as all you need to do is wash them off between usage).

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
After ear damage at the age of 60 every time after she or he is asked a question they answer back with WHAT? And that becomes very annoying, making you repeat everything over again, its like, in this environment you always have to say something twice. Although it would improve memory it would be annoying other wise.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
After ear damage at the age of 60 every time after she or he is asked a question they answer back with WHAT? And that becomes very annoying, making you repeat everything over again, its like, in this environment you always have to say something twice. Although it would improve memory it would be annoying other wise.

What was that?;-):p

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
What was that?;-):p

I may have veered off the topic but speaking about ear protection, many completely ignored the necessity to protect these vital organs and they don't, while at the age of 60 we see what happened. What? Is what they say before answering to a question, forcing the person who is asking the question to repeat them self’s.

:smile:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You've never had teen-agers have you?

For the record ... no I never wore hearing protection in my rock 'n' roll daze ... and I have paid the price many times over. As a bass player, I could stand right in front of my old 15" speakers and it was somewhat less damaging than it would be twenty feet away (only because those speakers have to move a lot of air first) ... but the monitors, percussion and guitar amps left my ears ringing for a full day after.