What's Everyone Reading?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'm not reading anything right now - except for an old copy of "how to win friends and influence people' I keep in the can for divination purposes.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I am reading Glen Cook now - The Black Company. A bit depressive, and a very male book, but quite readable.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I recently read Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Not gonna lie - the first 1/3 or so of the book was almost excruciatingly dry. If you can manage to persevere through that though, the remainder is well worth it.

It's a very thought provoking novel about a young boy who finds himself adrift on the high seas in a lifeboat with a zebra, an orangutan, a hyena, and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

I'd recommend this one, but not as a light and fluffy read. A character within the novel claimed the story would make you believe in God - not sure I'd go that far, but the ending certainly challenged some perspectives I'd had while I was reading it.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I belong to a few book clubs and I haven't seen much in a while worth ordering less reading. You need to have some one refer you(these days) to a good book or you will never find out about it.

regs
scratch

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I read mostly fiction. I enjoy Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels, John Sandford's Prey thrillers and just about anything by Anne Perry.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I belong to a few book clubs and I haven't seen much in a while worth ordering less reading. You need to have some one refer you(these days) to a good book or you will never find out about it.

regs
scratch

I recently re-read the Stand, uncut version and the Road. Both excellent. I love books that have 'end of time' themes, focusing on survival of survivors. The Road made me cry a lot, the main characters are a boy and his son, real tear jerker.

I'm planning to read 'the Andromena Strain' one of these days and am looking for the original book version of the movie "i am legend". "Black Hawk Down' is unread on the book shelf too, anyone read that one?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That actually sounds interesting. I might look it up next trip to the library.

It is excellent, but Lady Pakenham (Ms. Longford) is a relative, can say little bad about Mr. Wellesley...........and it was written in the 60s. It might be hard to find.....I got it in a used book store.

More interesting as popular history was Napolean and Wellington, by Andrew Roberts . recent, so easier to find.

I read history almost exclusively.........

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I just spent a year reading history doing research for my book on our local natives. I'm kinda burned out on reading right now. The short stuff on here is about all I can handle. When I was reading a lot, I loved Tom Robbins. Couldn't get enough of his turn of phrase.
Mostly I was into philosophy, science and metaphysics. Not too much fiction.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I just finished "the road" about a journey a man and his son take in post apocolyptic America- No civilization, the entire country looted,starvation,except for the rampant cannabalism, and a nice nuclear winter thrown in for good measure. Very distubing, but a page turner.