Bide your time in America, Russell Brand

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Russell Brand was brilliant when he hosted the recent MTV Awards in the US - but Americans (who aren't exactly renowned in Britain for their sense of humour) don't think so.

Maybe American music fans are just more formal and prissy than their British counterparts...

Bide your time, Russell Brand

Tony Parsons
20/09/2008
The Mirror

Humourless American newspapers have branded British comedian Russel Brand "America's public enemy No1" - just for telling a few jokes at the MTV Awards

Russell Brand gave a wonderful performance as a British rock star in the Hollywood comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

He played a debauched, dishevelled, snake-hipped cad - typecasting or what? He was very funny, and I was expecting the lad to be America's sweetheart by now.

It hasn't happened because of his performance at the MTV Awards, where Brand described President Bush as "a retarded cowboy" and boasted that he - Brand not Bush - had just taken a "purity ring" from professional virgins the Jonas Brothers.

All this would be pretty standard fare at a British awards ceremony, but it seems that American music fans are made of primmer stuff.

Mtv addicts have filled the internet with their whining complaints - hey, kids, it is meant to be rock- 'n'roll! - and calling Bush retarded has been perceived as an insult to American troops.

Some newspapers have described Russell Brand as America's "public enemy number one" though I suspect Osama bin Laden still just has the edge. And I still think Brand will crack America wide open.

They have nothing like him in that deeply conservative, fanatically religious country, where even MTV fans get weepy at the sight of Mom's apple pie.

Russell should stick to the movies. Forget all the third-rate little award shows watched by pin-headed 14-year-old morons in the Mid West.

A few more performances like the one in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and watch Russell Brand have Uncle Sam gagging for it.

mirror.co.uk