Thread too long? Slow Reader?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think that ended up being slower than I read most posts. I put in T's post and it seemed painfully long. The spreeder makes it impossible to skip 'the, and, to, from'. Perhaps with some practice and familiarity it would be a comfortable program to use but it just felt jarring.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Years ago, while I was still at college, I took a speed reading course because I was a slow reader and if I knew that course still existed, and where it was being offered today I would recommend it to anyone. One of the key things about this course was that while reading, you skipped to the next line before you read the last word in the first line. You will find that you automatically read that last word. You then skipped the last two words, and then the next three words. I got to the point where I could jump to the next line after having read a little more than half of the first line. That speed reading course was useful. My normal reading speed since taking the course, is quite fast. I read the average pocket best seller in a little over two hours. There were other things besides what I've written here that I won't go into, but speed reading is something you can learn.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Years ago, while I was still at college, I took a speed reading course because I was a slow reader and if I knew that course still existed, and where it was being offered today I would recommend it to anyone. One of the key things about this course was that while reading, you skipped to the next line before you read the last word in the first line. You will find that you automatically read that last word. You then skipped the last two words, and then the next three words. I got to the point where I could jump to the next line after having read a little more than half of the first line. That speed reading course was useful. My normal reading speed since taking the course, is quite fast. I read the average pocket best seller in a little over two hours. There were other things besides what I've written here that I won't go into, but speed reading is something you can learn.

Do you always get the gist?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
That's what I wonder too. I knew a couple of speed readers that could finish a 300 page book in about 10 minutes. I never did believe they got everything out of them. It was too strange watching them flip through the pages like Johnny 5; I felt like I was being hosed; that it was a con like the psychic friends network or something.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know if I got the gist or not but 300 words a minute seems to be just a hair slower than my normal reading speed.but I'm hampered by not being able to see the whole sentence. I have no trouble reading the words at that speed but I think one can scan a sentence quicker if one can see it all.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
That's what I wonder too. I knew a couple of speed readers that could finish a 300 page book in about 10 minutes. I never did believe they got everything out of them. It was too strange watching them flip through the pages like Johnny 5; I felt like I was being hosed; that it was a con like the psychic friends network or something.

A challenge to the speed readers:

Get a copy of Ayn Rand's "ATLAS SHRUGGED", speed read it and tell us:

-- main characters
-- point of book
-- Rand's profession
-- is it ideological or philosophical

Thank You.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A pocket novel usually has about 300 words per page.....These days it depends a little on the size of the printing. My eyes are not what they used to be so when I can I go for the large print editions. I don't often miss anything but my concentration can be precarious if there is a lot of noise or distractions around.
Like I said, the average pocket book has between 250 and 400 pages and I read them usually in about two to two and a half hours. Since I retired I read between three and five books a week.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

what constitutes 'speed' reading though Scott? The spreeder program surely doesn't qualify, does it? 300 words a minute? That's about a page a minute isn't it? I read a touch faster than that. But it wouldn't get me through 300 pages in 10 minutes. How fast does one have to read to be a 'speed reader'?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I knew a couple of speed readers that could finish a 300 page book in about 10 minutes.

I don't know anyone who reads that fast. A three hundred page book would have at least 90,000 words. You would have to read at 9000 words a minute....I don't think it is possible.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Might be useful for textbooks, but I don't think I would enjoy a good novel as much if I could read it in ten minutes, or even half an hour. Life goes by fast enough as it is and reading is one way to remove yourself from that.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Might be useful for textbooks, but I don't think I would enjoy a good novel as much if I could read it in ten minutes, or even half an hour. Life goes by fast enough as it is and reading is one way to remove yourself from that.

Very Good Point!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Very Good Point!

Second that:

A book has to have that special something to get me past the first chapter. If it does, I don't want to rush it.

Whatever you do, don't move your lips...........God, that looks retarded.

Like zeekers in a supermarket, reading the can labels............^%^*

:lol:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Second that:

A book has to have that special something to get me past the first chapter. If it does, I don't want to rush it.

Whatever you do, don't move your lips...........God, that looks retarded.

Like zeekers in a supermarket, reading the can labels............^%^*

:lol:

Happens too much here. I get your drift.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know anyone who reads that fast. A three hundred page book would have at least 90,000 words. You would have to read at 9000 words a minute....I don't think it is possible.
You'd have to turn a page about every four seconds and look at a new page every two seconds.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

I get what you mean but they read big fantasy novels and could finish one in about 10 minutes. It did seem like they were blazing through the pages. I think that's why I didn't believe them.

My problem is that I have to "say" the word in my head. If I could get over that habit I think I would be a very fast reader.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I get what you mean but they read big fantasy novels and could finish one in about 10 minutes. It did seem like they were blazing through the pages. I think that's why I didn't believe them.

My problem is that I have to "say" the word in my head. If I could get over that habit I think I would be a very fast reader.

I would think that that would make for better understanding,

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I would think that that would make for better understanding,

Maybe but it takes a long time to finish anything, perhaps though, understanding material is more important than quantity? All I know is that fast readers don't hear the words (or so I'm told). I love to read and would like to increase my speed so I could get more in. If I read fiction I can finish a medium sized novel in a few hours. It's non fiction which slows me down and is also what I primarily read, maybe that's normal? I don't know.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Maybe but it takes a long time to finish anything, perhaps though, understanding material is more important than quantity? All I know is that fast readers don't hear the words (or so I'm told). I love to read and would like to increase my speed so I could get more in. If I read fiction I can finish a medium sized novel in a few hours. It's non fiction which slows me down and is also what I primarily read, maybe that's normal? I don't know.

For myself, I don't know whether I speed read or not. Depends on the material I'm reading.