Looking Back-Stompin' Tom Connors

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Born in Saint John, New Brunswick
February 9, 1936
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]A[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]n imagination taller than the Rocky Mountains. A wanderlust that has taken him further than a Northern Ontario bush pilot. A guitar, a pair of boots, and a knack for writing songs about Canada can only begin to describe the man that Canada has come to know and love as Stompin' Tom Connors.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]B[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]orn in Saint John, New Brunswick, Tom's youngest years were spent living hand-to-mouth with his mother, until he was taken from her and placed in the care of the Children's Aid. From there, he was adopted into the Aylward family of Skinner's Pond, PEI, where he lived until he began his hitchhiking career at the age of 15.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]om travelled to almost every corner of Canada throughout the next 13 years - from the rocky coastline of Newfoundland to the arctic desolation of the Yukon - and a hundred thousand points in between. He could rarely be found without his guitar; even when he had a "real" job (which never lasted long), he would still write and sing songs about the people he met and the places he visited.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]M[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]oney was a scarcity for Tom during this period in the 1950's and early 1960's; it may also have been his big "break", when he found himself a nickel short of a beer at the Maple Leaf Hotel in Timmins, Ontario. The bartender, Gaet Lepine, agreed to give Tom a beer if he would play a few songs. These few songs turned into a 13-month contract to play at the hotel, a weekly spot on the [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]CKGB[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] radio station in Timmins, eight [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]45-RPM[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] recordings, and the end of the beginning for Tom Connors.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]om's recording career picked up in 1969 when he signed with [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Dominion Records[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]; over the next two years, he released 6 original albums, a compilation album, and a 5-album set of traditional music. He subsequently left Dominion Records to help form [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Boot Records[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] - a company that would see 10 more original albums by Tom and a myriad of recordings from many other Canadian artists.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]he album "Gumboot Cloggeroo", released in 1979, would be Tom's last. In a fit of frustration and disappointment, Tom returned all six of his Juno Awards, as a statement of protest against the Americanization of the Canadian music industry. This began Tom's self-imposed exile from the music industry - a music industry that would not embrace his h[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]omespun and fiercely patriotic brand of music.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times][SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]om has never been a quitter; his dogged persistence and spirit to succeed rose in 1986 with his formation of [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]A-C-T Records[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] - a new label that would record and promote Canadian music. Tom began touring and releasing records again in 1988, and his signing with [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]EMI[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Canada would eventually allow for the complete re-release of his entire catalogue of music. Tom would also receive the [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Order of Canada[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular], an Honourary [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Doctorate[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] of Laws from St. Thomas University, the key to the city of Peterborough, Ontario, and countless other honors.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]To date, Tom has put out 20 albums of original material, several children's books, an [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]autobiography[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] (with a second-one coming), a movie, a television series, and countless memories for the Canadians that he has touched with his verses of Canada.[/FONT]

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Stompin Tom is amazeing, I can hum and belt out a line of more than a few of his tunes and cannot for the life of me remember a line or note of Michael Jacksons material, or many others for that matter.

Tillsonberg, Tillsonberg, ya won't get no pay standing there picking at your nose all day,

:love9:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Stompin Tom is amazeing, I can hum and belt out a line of more than a few of his tunes and cannot for the life of me remember a line or note of Michael Jacksons material, or many others for that matter.

Tillsonberg, Tillsonberg, ya won't get no pay standing there picking at your nose all day,

:love9:

I would never claim to be a fan. Growing up as a kid in the 60's and a teenager in the 70's made me into a whole different kind of music then good ole Tom made. However, having said that, my parents loved the guy and watched his television programme on a regular basis. (Do you remember his programme at all?) Now as an adult I've come to appreciate the unique quality of this artist, a fine addition to Canadian folk heroes.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Tillsonberg, Tillsonberg ..my back still aches when I hear that word!!!

I had never been a real fan... paid a bit of attention in the mid 80's when they played him on much music for a while...

Then last summer he came to Kemptville On. a small town where he played the hotel often before he was known. I bought to tickets to take my Mom, a maritimer. Thought she'd like it and I would be ok with it...

You know what..I became a fan!!!! I bought a couple of albums,,, and my kids now belt out Mukalaw Joe since it speaks of Kemptville...

The man is a one man mission to get Canadians to think about their own country..I wish him luck..

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Tillsonberg, Tillsonberg ..my back still aches when I hear that word!!!

I had never been a real fan... paid a bit of attention in the mid 80's when they played him on much music for a while...

Then last summer he came to Kemptville On. a small town where he played the hotel often before he was known. I bought to tickets to take my Mom, a maritimer. Thought she'd like it and I would be ok with it...

You know what..I became a fan!!!! I bought a couple of albums,,, and my kids now belt out Mukalaw Joe since it speaks of Kemptville...

The man is a one man mission to get Canadians to think about their own country..I wish him luck..

JAJA SWAT UM SAAIN HEBE a very good entertainer one of those magnetic people I lean toward stuff like the zombies , animals and rush and some rap star from somalia what Ive herd befotodayawhileago.If he don't have the Order of Canada yet we should pull it off Bullrooneys filthy chest and givit tooum. This country could use more likeum.

GOD SAVE STOMPIN TOM

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
i know who this guy is, but i dont get his whole scene. hes from the east coast and he dresses like an american cowboy??? i dont get it..does he think hes like the john wayne of canada??? is he still alive???

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
There is actually nothing American about a cowboy... It's just the the U.S. created a romantic notion about it... we have had cowboys out west dressed the same as long as they ever did, the only diference was that the U.S. had small local sherriff offices where we had the federal RCMP to keep order...

http://www.civilization.ca/media/docs/fsjosh01e.html

Tom Conner's..aka stomp'n Tom is very alive and well..still tours and brings 5-10,000 people to each show....he is from PEI but know resides in southern Ontario in a small town.

Tom has alway done a good job doing what the CBC is suppose to do and fails.. He tell Canadians about each other and the makeup of the country..somethig we lack knowledge and interest in....could learn that from the U.S. eh?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Never had a better time than the night I got see this him live -!!! Thanks for the fond reminder

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
there must be something in the Maritime air that breeds entertainers like Stompin' Tom. Am proud to say that I grew up on the same block as the orphanage Tom spent time in before his adoption:smilebox: We also gave Hank Snow, Wilf Carter and Ned Landry to the musical world.