Children exposed to too much violence in the media, parents, teachers warn

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Keith Leslie

TORONTO (CP) - Canadian children are being exposed to far too much violence in music lyrics, video games and on television and need to be protected by laws similar to those that restrict the sale of tobacco to minors, a coalition of teachers and parents said Wednesday.

The group called for age-based restrictions on music sales, similar to existing systems that prevent underaged consumers from obtaining inappropriate movies and video games. They also called for controls that would prevent radio and television stations from airing violent content before 9 p.m.

"We have listened to the research, and cigarette packs now carry large and graphic warnings about the dangers of smoking," Professor Peter Jaffe of the University of Western Ontario told a news conference.

"Where are the warnings on the many forms of media violence readily accessible by children? Tiny ratings stickers just don't cut it any more."

Jaffe cited decades of "clear and compelling" evidence that he said illustrates the long-lasting negative impact of violent media on children, and said medical and mental health experts agree it has become a very serious problem.

"Viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behaviour, particularly in children," he said.

"We've been exposed to more and more (violence) so that we've gotten desensitized. We no longer get outraged because we've seen it all."

The teachers, trustees and parent groups said it's not just video images on television and the Internet that are exposing children to violent behaviour.

"Music has escaped the need for classification, despite the fact that the music industry has gone the way of film, television and video games in producing explicity violent, sexual material," said Rhonda Kimberley-Young, president of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation.

"We believe that some of this material is damaging to children and youth and should be restricted to those over the age of 18."

In addition to the music classification system and changes to the Broadcasting Act, the coalition also called on the federal government to amend the Criminal Code to add women to the list of groups that are protected under the section prohibiting public incitement of hatred.

"We believe that leaving girls and women off the list compromises their safety," Kimberley-Young said.

"Recommendations to add "sex" or "gender" to the groups protected by the public incitement of hatred law have been on the table for at least 20 years now."

During the news conference, the group showed a video depicting huge, bulked-up professional wrestlers attacking women and ripping off their clothes as an example of the type of violence against women that kids can routinely see on television - images Jaffe said he hoped would not be allowed if the law were changed.

"There's a different reality today, and we're asking for people to take a sober, second look at it," he said. "Clearly there are going to be test cases, and wrestling may be one where hopefully society will say those images are no longer acceptable."

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
By
"There's a different reality today, and we're asking for people to take a sober, second look at it," he said. "Clearly there are going to be test cases, and wrestling may be one where hopefully society will say those images are no longer acceptable."

yeah, whatever. and whose fault is that, not teenagers, but adults. we dont make the programmes or the video games!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
This society is regulation crazy. There are all kinds of groups who meet across the country and nitpick together and plan for legislative initiatives. A lot of it has to do with saving kids. I'd like to see some legislation put together to save us from the kids.
- curfews to ensure neighbourhoods are safe after 9:00 p.m.
- decency laws that insist children not wear obscene t-shirts or play obscene music in public places or cars where the crap soon contaminates public space
- language laws that fine children for using obscene language in public places

Hey, that's a start. As I've said before: we need laws less to protect children than to protect us from them.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
This society is regulation crazy. There are all kinds of groups who meet across the country and nitpick together and plan for legislative initiatives. A lot of it has to do with saving kids. I'd like to see some legislation put together to save us from the kids.
- curfews to ensure neighbourhoods are safe after 9:00 p.m.
- decency laws that insist children not wear obscene t-shirts or play obscene music in public places or cars where the crap soon contaminates public space
- language laws that fine children for using obscene language in public places

Hey, that's a start. As I've said before: we need laws less to protect children than to protect us from them.

Oh yeah, could not agree more-and some sort of fines for the parents of these monsters that wander our streets in these days.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
By Keith Leslie

TORONTO (CP) -ae

Yeah, and so what do these parents and teachers plan to do about it? How about some of the parents acting like they're the parents for a change instead of letting these deviants do as they please.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
And all this excessive violence they are exposed to does what to their violent behaviour? Lets check..

Oh looks, its at the lowest recorded levels in history.

I guess we need to start getting toddlers to play GTA: Hooker Killin Hobo edition and we can finally have a society without violence.

People aren't as retarded (even kids) as we like to believe. Everyone in the world (besides you) is not stupid and does not need you to nanny them.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
And all this excessive violence they are exposed to does what to their violent behaviour? Lets check..

I guess we need to start getting toddlers to play GTA: Hooker Killin Hobo edition and we can finally have a society without violence.

People aren't as retarded (even kids) as we like to believe. Everyone in the world (besides you) is not stupid and does not need you to nanny them.

Who is "(besides you)"? The author/reporter of the article?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think children are exposed to a lot of things they could do without, one of the most destructive is religion which is the root of much violence. If we shield children from reality we will make them ignorant, we don't need more of that do we? The children are our hope for the future, if they are unaware of the reality of the world how will they change things?
I don't want to see children hurt but,those exposed to violent vidio games and television don't even come close to the numbers exposed to stravation, homelessness, death, warfare and forced labour in the reality of the third world.
This complaint is a perenial favorite in the first world and has been for decades. In all thet time it's only gotten worse, violence is a commodity bought and sold on the free market, it's good for business so we're stuck, it will prevail as long as the system does.:wave:

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
I think children are exposed to a lot of things they could do without, one of the most destructive is religion which is the root of much violence. :wave:

Nonsense. The main reason we are seeing a rise in such behaviour in children is because more and more parents are neglecting to raise their children in a Church where once upon a time kids learned decent moral values. To contrast what you wrote, I think children should be forced to go to some church at least until they are 16.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Nonsense. The main reason we are seeing a rise in such behaviour in children is because more and more parents are neglecting to raise their children in a Church where once upon a time kids learned decent moral values. To contrast what you wrote, I think children should be forced to go to some church at least until they are 16.

Decent moral values like, burning witches? Children were forced into churches for hundreds of years and never has it improved thier moral values. Religion is not a source of moral values. The rise of christian fundys in the states has allowed all manner of murder and destruction to be carried out among the nations on the planet. The christian church has been in the vangaurd of the rape of the planet.Sunday school, now that's child abuse of the highest order.:wave:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I'd like to see some study which concludes that. Besides which, the holy books are filled with passages describing violent acts. I agree that parents need to be doing a better job, but I don't think religion is the sole institution which can provide the moral fabric you allude to.

Do the people advocating these changes to broadcasting laws apply to news broadcasts also? Theres plenty of violence in the news broadcasts.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

hear hear (except calling you stupid)

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I agree that there is a lot of violence, but shielding the children from this is the responsibility of the parents. TVs offers parental locks just as the Internet does but a lot of parents don't use them. Parents ( not all but quite a few) are not bringing up their children, you just have to go into a store or resturant and see how their little ones behave.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Are you suggesting I'm stupid? I didn't write the article.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I agree that there is a lot of violence, but shielding the children from this is the responsibility of the parents. TVs offers parental locks just as the Internet does but a lot of parents don't use them. Parents ( not all but quite a few) are not bringing up their children, you just have to go into a store or resturant and see how their little ones behave.

Or on airplanes..."Excuse me maam, but would you tell your kid to stop kicking the back of my seat please?"

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Or on airplanes..."Excuse me maam, but would you tell your kid to stop kicking the back of my seat please?"

Indeed!m I was on a flight to New York City once out of Detroit, Michigan, and the little boy behind me was drumming no less on the back of my seat. When I turned around to ask the mother to stop him, she actually barked at me "don't think because you're a priest you'll get special rights!!!"" I thought, "what the hell?". Needless to say I had the junior Ringo Starr all the way into La Guardia.(2 hours)

And let's not talk about them in Church these days!! Running up and down the aisles, talking or noise making toys, crying, dis-respectful to the adults around them...I could go on!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Indeed!m I was on a flight to New York City once out of Detroit, Michigan, and the little boy behind me was drumming no less on the back of my seat. When I turned around to ask the mother to stop him, she actually barked at me "don't think because you're a priest you'll get special rights!!!"" I thought, "what the hell?". Needless to say I had the junior Ringo Starr all the way into La Guardia.(2 hours)

And let's not talk about them in Church these days!! Running up and down the aisles, talking or noise making toys, crying, dis-respectful to the adults around them...I could go on!

special rights??? surely everyone has a right not to be pummeled in the back for the duration of a flight